Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2017, 09:47 PM   #21

Table on the page shows speeds with letters, so that is what I took it to be. Interesting that the "H" is way out of sequence in the chart!

Here is another good link: https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...e-descriptions
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I thought the H was the load rating? Wheres the TIRE GUYS!!!
On my 235/80/R16 LR E Carlisle the speed range is L or 75 mph... LR H has to be WAY up there!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:04 PM   #23
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantyszka View Post
I am replacing the tires on my camper. These two tires are in my price range. Is one better than the other?

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...14RTM45WS.html

or

https://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Traile...a/AM32182.html

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stan
To begin, with the two tires you've posted above, you're comparing apples to oranges. The first one Provider ST215/75R14 Radial Trailer Tire are load range D tires which will carry a max load of 2040lbs. The second tire, Karrier ST215/75R14 Radial Trailer Tire is a load range C tire and will carry a max load of 1760lbs.

To determine whats right for you - you must calculate how much weight will be carried by your camper under GVWR divided by the number of tires carrying the load. Then search for price. Generally speaking, it is best to have tires that are rated to carry over the GVWR with maximum inflation pressure (cold) to reduce the risk of a blowout and gain maximum wear milage.

Hope that helps,
Rich J.
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:36 PM   #24

TonyShope, Here is a little information about Maxxis tire speed rating I got today after reading you post. I just had four Maxxis put on my TH bought from Real Deal Tires. I called him today and asked about the speed rating as it is not on the tires. When I ordered the tires he said they were rated at 99 mph. This is an email he sent me after he contacted Maxxis:

Hello Mr. Edwards,

I was not given the actual speed rating on the tire but as a surprise to myself, here was her response.

“Any trailer tires you are asked about should be 65mph no matter who makes them.
That is the industry standard.”

I’m thinking they do not put out the speed rating to prevent lawsuit if the 65MPH is exceeded.

I apologize for leading you in the wrong direction there.

Regards,

855-346-4308
realdealtires.com

Sure hope this helps you out a little.
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:10 AM   #25

Buy Taskmaster!

The Taskmaster tire is a load range D. That is a big difference. If you watch the video or read the transcript on it you'll find it is rated for 81 mph. That is also a huge difference. Many trailers are near the load range limit when they come off the lot and are over once you fill them with essentials. I have these tires on all 3 of my trailers and haven't had a flat yet. Yesterday, I was pulling my ROO on a 12 mile gravel washboard road, and feeling secure with the extra load rating and higher speed rating. I don't know why etrailer doesn't advertise in big letters that their tires are rated for 81 mph, but that is the only trailer tire I will buy. Many trailer tires are still rated for 65 mph, which tend to blow up at 65 mph in a NM or AZ summer. The M speed rating is stamped on the tires.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23dks View Post
I have had good luck with the Carlisle Radial Trail HD.
x2
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #27
Popup graduate

This link explains tire ratings. The 98 is the load rating and H is the speed rating.

If the ST tire does not have a speed rating on the sidewall the rating is 65 mph. Newer ST tires are being made with higher speed ratings with the rating molded into the sidewall. The lighter duty Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires (15 inch and smaller) have an 81 mph rating while the 16 inch tires have a 75 mph rating.
23dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:48 AM   #28

Wow! Considering how many discussions there have been on this and other forums about trailer tires there seems to still be a lot of misunderstanding about their ratings. Some of this may have come about with what appears to be a change in the regulatory requirements for trailer tires (ST tires).

Prior to what I believe was some time in 2015 the standard for ST tires was a speed rating of 65mph. If you look at a typical ST tire manufactured before early 2015 there was no speed rating letter following the load rating number. That ST tire was rated at 65. Trailer tires manufactured subsequent to about 2 years ago may (have to?) display a load/speed rating letter to indicate their certified speed rating. Our 2016 Flagstaff was built in June of '15 and came with 4 mounted tires without speed rating letters (65mph tires) and an otherwise identical spare tire mfg a few weeks later that has a "L" code (75mph tire). Those tire mfg dates were right around the beginning of 2015, either just before or after the new year, I don't recall now.

When looking at a tire speed rating table be sure not to pick the wrong speed column, ie; kph vs mph. The "L" rated Westlakes on our CC34RL2 are rated for 75mph not 130 (the kph equivalent)!!
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
More and more are starting to come in with a higher rating for speed. I think a govt thing changed and made the increase. Even the china bombs are coming in with 75 80 or 85mph rating anymore.. IF you get new stock not one sitting on the shelf for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Look at the picture of the tire on the page. They show a P225/60R16 98H. The "H" is the speed rating. From the table lower on the page, this tire is rated for 130 MPH. Your trailer tires are probably in the G-L range 55-75 MPH. As noted in the document, Speed and load range are not required by law so may not be printed on the tire.
Quote:
I thought the H was the load rating? Wheres the TIRE GUYS!!!
Man, so many things going on in this thread.

1. OK, starting with Doc73's post about the govt changing the mandates on ST tires and speed ratings. This had to do with import tariffs as much as anything.

It was discussed previously in this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1138004

2. Ok, for SailorSam's post. Passenger tire sizes had a different Load Speed Index system than ST tires since ST tires previously were pegged out at 65 mph. This has changed, see # 1 above, hence you may commonly find a L speed rating on ST tires now as well as a speed/load index system similar to passenger tires. Also ST tires have a ply rating factor where passenger tires do not.

Tire Rack has a lot more detailed explanation that explains the differences between the two systems, located here:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=35

and here

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=55&

3. Doc73's second quoted post is explained in #2 above with the link to Tire Rack who has the charts for the speed/load index numbers.

Also the speed ratings are not truly alphabetized.
The Origin of Speed Ratings

We can thank Germany’s famous Autobahn for tire speed ratings. Tire speed ratings range from A (the lowest) to Y (the highest). But the chart is not completely in alphabetical order. For example, H is between U and V, with the common perception that H stood for “high performance” at one time. As manufacturers continue to add speed to their vehicles, tire speed ratings evolve to match the speeds. For example, Z was the highest rated speed at 149+ until W & Y were used to match the higher speeds of exotic sports cars.

Hope this helps, or at least doesn't confuse the issue further.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:46 PM   #30
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
All good advice, but don't forget going up a load range or two means you also have to replace the tire valves. My Flagstaff Classic came with Load range "C" (50PSI) and I bought (4) load range "E" for $293 and replaced the valve stems with 80PSI valve stems.
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:42 PM   #31

I would check out Goodyear's new Endurance ST tire. Made in the USA and testing reviews are coming back with high remarks. Made much stronger than their Marathons. Really can't even compare the 2. They are now available. Check out the link for more info.

https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US...iler_tire.html
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:50 PM   #32

What about provider tires? Any good?
binsweeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire