Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2015, 04:40 PM   #1

Which tires

Hello all, first time to post. I have a 2007 Sierra model 295RLT. On the front is a placard calling out to use LT235/85R16/E tires @ 80PSI. The tires currently on the trailer are ST225/75R15/D. (These tires were on the trailer when purchased). Question, which tires should be used to replace current tires?
jimandpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #2

I am unsure why the tires are smaller and lower rated unless there was a fitment issue.

I would look at the wheel wells for signs of rubbing, if non is visible and there is room I see no reason to not go back to what is on the sticker.

You will need to replace the wheels so there is going to be an extra cost.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #3

My guess the factory mis labled the trailer when new. 15S were probably standard, 16s optional. Since you have 25 inch wheels you have few choices, but I would pick option 2, new 16 inch wheels and tires.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:57 PM   #4

Thanks, it seems to be a that everyone says to use ST on trailers. Will check to see if larger wheels and tires will fit.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:00 PM   #5

Sorry but there is no way in hadies I would use a ST tire unless I had 14 or 15 inch wheels. My fiver came factory equipped with 16 inch LTs. They lasted 8 years. I now have 16 inch Michelin LT tires and they will be on there for another 6 years.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:08 PM   #6

That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!!
Old 10-14-2015, 02:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandpam View Post
Hello all, first time to post. I have a 2007 Sierra model 295RLT. On the front is a placard calling out to use LT235/85R16/E tires @ 80PSI. The tires currently on the trailer are ST225/75R15/D. (These tires were on the trailer when purchased). Question, which tires should be used to replace current tires?
Is this a trailer new to you or did you purchase it new?

You should use the same type and size tires listed on the trailer's certification label unless you can prove it to be in error.

Look at the date code on the ST tires. The past owner may have just put new tires on it to make it look better for a trade-in or sale. Those ST tires are less expensive than any of the LT tires in the size on the liable and they don't provide the load capacity of the tires on the label.
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:52 PM   #8

I'm glad to run across this thread. We purchased our Windjammer 3025 two weeks ago and want to replace the OEM tires. I haven't looked to see what is on the label on the TT, but am wondering if anyone has tried to upgrade from 15's to 16" wheels? Would there be enough clearance in the wheel wells for the increased size in wheels, just wondering.

We like Michelin tires and would like to run the Michelin XPS tires on it. We have a '99 Airstream which we bought used five years ago and it came with 14" wheels. We ordered new axles for it, upgrading them to 3500 lbs. each and for 16" wheels, and this also increased the brake size, we then bought new 16" wheels and the Michelin XPS tires, which are a 10-ply tire. We have not had any issues with these tires, and have been able to go anywhere without the stressful worry of blowouts.

Thanks.

Deb
Windjam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires