Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #21
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

If you buy 4 GY Marathons, you can use your original spare as it is. My experience was $1800 damage and $600+ for GY tires in Springfield, MO.
Thanks. I'd wondered about that but worried I was just being cheap.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #22

Check out tirerack.com. Or tredittire.com. Both offer places all over. Tredit is who most of the mfg get there's. we have been able to buy tires and rims together cheaper than just the tire
mshell56118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #23

We put the Maxxis on ours, and the local tire dealer even matched the price from the internet discounter. Couldn`t beat that deal!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #24
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
We put the Maxxis on ours, and the local tire dealer even matched the price from the internet discounter. Couldn`t beat that deal!
I can't find anyone local that sells 'em, unfortunately.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #25
Site Team - Lou

"I just bought 5 GY Marathons in your size for about $600 mounted and balanced at Discount Tire. They are made by Carlisle."

This is not correct. Sounds like someone sold you Carlisle tires at Marathon prices. Photos please (include the manufacturer code on the tire).

You can find the code - 1st two alphanumerics in the mold stamp right after DoT

Like this. The first two codes here are "MD" (the Goodyear Plant in Gadsden, Alabama).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mallory Wedding 3 234.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	29791  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
"I just bought 5 GY Marathons in your size for about $600 mounted and balanced at Discount Tire. They are made by Carlisle."

This is not correct. Sounds like someone sold you Carlisle tires at Marathon prices. Photos please (include the manufacturer code on the tire).

You can find the code - 1st two alphanumerics in the mold stamp right after DoT

Like this. The first two codes here are "MD" (the Goodyear Plant in Gadsden, Alabama).
I agree with Lou.

Discount Tire has great prices (better than tire rack even before shipping), but they are really pushing the Carlisle's. I wouldn't even think of buying those over Marathon's. It sounds like someone there is trying to rip you off.

You haven't said how old the original tires are (date code). I wouldn't replace them all unless they're at least 3 years.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #27
Engineer of Crazy Train

I am buying 5 tires soon, myself, but on the other end...the TV.

Did you get the new sneakers yet for the trailer???
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
I agree with Lou.

Discount Tire has great prices (better than tire rack even before shipping), but they are really pushing the Carlisle's. I wouldn't even think of buying those over Marathon's. It sounds like someone there is trying to rip you off.

You haven't said how old the original tires are (date code). I wouldn't replace them all unless they're at least 3 years.
When I had my blowout, the tires were 15 months old on a new trailer. I still would replace all 4 of the oem tires if they were only a month old. I made the dealer put my Marathons & wheels off my old trailer on the new one before I left the lot.
IMO, the oem tires are junk unless they're Marathons.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #29
Always Learning

Quote:
From memory, I believe they were from May or June 2012- literally just before the trailer was built.

My thinking is- since I have to invest $125-per tire for 2 tires anyway, why not spend a little more on those 2 ($165 each) and, to keep the set matching- suck it up and replace the other 2.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #30
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
I am buying 5 tires soon, myself, but on the other end...the TV.

Did you get the new sneakers yet for the trailer???
New sneakers? Autocorrect?

I'm ordering the tires today. Once they come, the local tire place said they'll mount for $10/tire and balance for another $7/tire. I gotta re-read the balancing vs. not thread from last week to decide if I'm gonna balance them or not.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #31
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
From memory, I believe they were from May or June 2012- literally just before the trailer was built.

My thinking is- since I have to invest $125-per tire for 2 tires anyway, why not spend a little more on those 2 ($165 each) and, to keep the set matching- suck it up and replace the other 2.
IMO, smart decision.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #32

Quote:

I'm ordering the tires today. Once they come, the local tire place said they'll mount for $10/tire and balance for another $7/tire. I gotta re-read the balancing vs. not thread from last week to decide if I'm gonna balance them or not.
Balance the tires,same as your TV. If you want them (Perfect) have them put on a tire lathe,then have them balanced. You can balance a square object but it will not Roll down the road very well! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #33
Always Learning

I just ordered 4 Maxxis M8008 ST Radial BS Trailer Tire (ST235/80R-16E). Including the replacement warranty, new valve stems, etc came to $755 shipped.

Now, if you don't mind - I'm going to go have heart palpitations and will generally freak out for the next good while or so.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #34

Congrats! Once your breathing returns to normal you'll be a "happy camper"! Are those metal valve stems by any chance?
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #35

I hate to spend money for new tires...but once I'm rolling down the road I LOVE knowing I have them. Only better feeling was adding a TPMS.
I think you made a good choice.
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #36
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:

Never heard of tires called sneakers... For your car/truck/vehicle
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #37
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Balance the tires,same as your TV. If you want them (Perfect) have them put on a tire lathe,then have them balanced. You can balance a square object but it will not Roll down the road very well! Youroo!!
Haven't seen a tire lathe in years, but I sure wouldn't spend upwards of $700-$800 and stop at $28 for balancing whether I believed in balancing or not. Very cheap insurance.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #38
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
Never heard of tires called sneakers... For your car/truck/vehicle
No, but I can name 15 programming languages and read and understand code in just as many. You have to understand my level of understanding and background (think low and then lower the bar a little more!).
Old 05-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #39
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Haven't seen a tire lathe in years, but I sure wouldn't spend upwards of $700-$800 and stop at $28 for balancing whether I believed in balancing or not. Very cheap insurance.
I don't know what a tire lathe is, but am thinking of balancing them for just that reason- it's a lot of money to spend to not. What's another $30 at this point?
Old 05-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #40
Always Learning

Quote:
Congrats! Once your breathing returns to normal you'll be a "happy camper"! Are those metal valve stems by any chance?
I don't believe that they are... I ordered from discounttiredirect.com. The stems were $3 each and I think I read that they were rubber.