Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2018, 08:30 AM   #81
DDC

I'm still amazed that a handle is still attached to these as"CHINA BOMBS" when they appear to be manufactured by this AMERICAN company!

LIONSHEAD
Corporate Headquarters
305 Steury Avenue
Goshen, IN 46528
(574)533-6169

Idaho Facility
1205 U.S. 20
Mountain Home, ID 83647
(208)587-5466

Texas Facility
425 Peters St.
Waxahachie, TX 75165

North Carolina Facility
1161 N Main St.
Denton, NC 27239
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:38 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I'm still amazed that a handle is still attached to these as"CHINA BOMBS" when they appear to be manufactured by this AMERICAN company!

LIONSHEAD
Corporate Headquarters
305 Steury Avenue
Goshen, IN 46528
(574)533-6169

Idaho Facility
1205 U.S. 20
Mountain Home, ID 83647
(208)587-5466

Texas Facility
425 Peters St.
Waxahachie, TX 75165

North Carolina Facility
1161 N Main St.
Denton, NC 27239

I don't have these on my trailer, but I am going to look into them. I will also tell my kids about them. Thanks
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:06 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnelson View Post
The Bridgestone Rubber Masters I purchased had USA stamped on them. They held up great to Alaska and back.
Yes.......as the article says, there are some foreign tire companies that have plants in the U.S. But there are only two American tire companies.

Some foreign stuff is good. Some American stuff is not. That's just one part of the equation.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:08 AM   #84

Lionshead is not an American company. They make junk like Castle Rocks, and they make good tires like Westlake. But having a presence in America doesn't make them American.

Toyota has a plant in Mississippi. It's a Japanese company. Tennessee, Georgia, other states have Japanese/Korean car plants, but they aren't American companies.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:13 AM   #85

Quote:

LIONSHEAD
Corporate Headquarters
305 Steury Avenue
Goshen, IN 46528
(574)533-6169

Idaho Facility
1205 U.S. 20
Mountain Home, ID 83647
(208)587-5466

Texas Facility
425 Peters St.
Waxahachie, TX 75165

North Carolina Facility
1161 N Main St.
Denton, NC 27239
Those locations are warehouses used to store their brands manufactured in China. Westlake, VailSport and Constancy are their leading brands...and all made in China, according to the DOT data printed on the side of the tire.

Also, use Google Earth to view all those locations. They are not manufacturing facilities...they are warehouses. Next, view the Goodyear manufacturing facility in Alabama. You could put all the Lionshead buildings in the parking lot at Goodyear.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:40 AM   #86

I find this whole thread to be in interesting...from what I have read the whole 'china bomb' issue was resolved like 10 years ago...and that all the tires since that time are regulated by some sort of government hoo-ha... Also that the only real reason for tire failure (except for punctures from nails etc.) is from running at low air pressures (some people don't seem to know that the pressure on the tire is the minimum it should be run at and if traveling over a certain speed [tire dependent] that, that amount can be raised up to as much as 10 psi over the rated pressure)... I mean there are a few failed tires from tread separation/ broken internal ply's etc. ...but not from mass produced inferior tires ...
mrfikser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:52 AM   #87

Quote:

LIONSHEAD
Corporate Headquarters
305 Steury Avenue
Goshen, IN 46528
(574)533-6169

Idaho Facility
1205 U.S. 20
Mountain Home, ID 83647
(208)587-5466

Texas Facility
425 Peters St.
Waxahachie, TX 75165

North Carolina Facility
1161 N Main St.
Denton, NC 27239
Lionshead is a tire/wheel importer/wholesaler/retailer and a major OEM provider of wheel/tire assemblies throughout the RV trailer industry.

Lionshead Tire and Wheel
Old 11-01-2018, 09:28 PM   #88

I bought my trailer new and took it on two trips in the first year for a total of just under 2,000 miles. On the way home from the second trip I pulled into a service station and discovered one tire just starting to separate. Upon closer examination I found bulges on two other tires so out of 4 tires three were failing and not one of those three would have made it the last 100 miles home. I had to buy a whole set just to get home so I bought heavy duty light truck tires and no more problems. It is a shame trailer manufactures are willing to risk their customers RVs and possibley their lives just to save a dollar. Please Forest River buy better tires, I am sure we would all be willing to pay a little extra to be safe.
grands24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:42 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by grands24 View Post
I bought my trailer new and took it on two trips in the first year for a total of just under 2,000 miles. On the way home from the second trip I pulled into a service station and discovered one tire just starting to separate. Upon closer examination I found bulges on two other tires so out of 4 tires three were failing and not one of those three would have made it the last 100 miles home. I had to buy a whole set just to get home so I bought heavy duty light truck tires and no more problems. It is a shame trailer manufactures are willing to risk their customers RVs and possibley their lives just to save a dollar. Please Forest River buy better tires, I am sure we would all be willing to pay a little extra to be safe.

X2
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:04 AM   #90

I have been pulling trailers for around 40 years and I am experienced enough to know how much air pressure to put in my tires. This is not the first time OEM tires have failed on a new trailer with low miles. And I take care to not overload my RV and make sure all aspects of my hook up is correct. Government regulation obviously is not being upheld considering how many complaints I have seen about trailer tires.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #91
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

These are the facts about cheap trailer tires...

There are lots of cheap trailer tires out there...

They are not all made in China.

Not all RV's come with them...and it doesn't matter which price point the RV is in to include cheap tires.

There are lots of people who have problems with them, no matter how much or how little they take care of them.

There are lots of people don't have problems with them, no matter how much or how little they take care of them.

There are lots of people who have problems with them, no matter how many or how little miles are on them.

There are lots of people who don't have problems with them, no matter how many or how little miles are on them.

But the biggest fact of all is this:

Leaving cheap tires on any RV is like winning the lottery...

Some will win and some will loose...

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:25 PM   #92

First, I never claimed the tires were made in China. That's not even the issue here. And replacing inferior tires is just common sense. My point is only that they should put quality tires on the trailers in the first place, not whether they are taken care of or not or all the other reasons people come up with as to why they may fail. Just put good tires on in the first place. That's all.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:49 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by grands24 View Post
My point is only that they should put quality tires on the trailers in the first place, not whether they are taken care of or not or all the other reasons people come up with as to why they may fail. Just put good tires on in the first place. That's all.

Therein lies the rub. Manufacturers claim that they are putting on tires that meet the requirements of the product they are building. Weight carrying capability, etc.

The main issue is that of OPINION. Some are totally convinced that the RV manufacturers are installing crap but yet with rare exceptions there are no huge recalls.

What's lacking in this whole conversation is hard, scientific, facts. Lots of anecdotal accounts but no testing lab data derived from ASTM based evaluations.

FWIW, recalls of faulty Chinese tires DO occur. However only one shown on the "net" was for 1/4 million LT tires sold back in 2004-2005 ( Westlake, YKS and Compass).

If the ST trailer tires made in China were really as terrible as "they" say, you can pretty well bet they'd be recalled. Lawyers would be advertising on TV for clients willing to join class action lawsuits against RV Mfr's and Distributors (Foreign Mfr's are hard to sue).

Based on my years in the Tire Industry I can just say that some people have more problems with tires than others. Can be where they live, how they drive, or just their bad luck. Others don't and just run a set of tires until they wear out. Same reasons except for the luck part.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #94
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

If the ST trailer tires made in China were really as terrible as "they" say...

Lawyers would be advertising on TV for clients willing to join class action lawsuits against RV Mfr's and Distributors (Foreign Mfr's are hard to sue).
Not really, as those same lawyers are too busy trying to fire up all of the unhappy-with-the-quality-control-of-RV manufactures whiners and haters towards a class action lawsuit and can't be bothered with the small-time tire issue.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #95
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Therein lies the rub. Manufacturers claim that they are putting on tires that meet the requirements of the product they are building. Weight carrying capability, etc.

The main issue is that of OPINION. Some are totally convinced that the RV manufacturers are installing crap but yet with rare exceptions, there are no huge recalls.

What's lacking in this whole conversation is hard, scientific, facts. Lots of anecdotal accounts but no testing lab data derived from ASTM based evaluations.

FWIW, recalls of faulty Chinese tires DO occur. However, only one shown on the "net" was for 1/4 million LT tires sold back in 2004-2005 ( Westlake, YKS and Compass).

If the ST trailer tires made in China were really as terrible as "they" say, you can pretty well bet they'd be recalled. Lawyers would be advertising on TV for clients willing to join class action lawsuits against RV Mfr's and Distributors (Foreign Mfr's are hard to sue).

Based on my years in the Tire Industry I can just say that some people have more problems with tires than others. Can be where they live, how they drive, or just their bad luck. Others don't and just run a set of tires until they wear out. Same reasons except for the luck part.

A tire recall can be ordered by a tire company or by NHTSA if & when there is a determination a recall is justified. To know it might be justified requires an investigation to learn and confirm the facts that the problem is not service related but is, in fact, a function of a specific group of tires.

NHTSA will only stare an investigation when there are a reasonable number of "actionable" complaints on file. That means the tire full DOT serial is included as part of the complaint. Relating information about where you were going when the failure occurred may make you feel better but has no bearing on the question of a possible design or manufacturing problem.

When I look at tire complaints (this is public info and you can read the complaints yourself) I find that many people do not provide the DOT serial, many don't even provide the tire size or even the brand name of the subject tire. You can quickly find "Buick" brand tires or "230x15" as a size or for an example a Firestone Eagle. None of this information is remotely correct and certainly not sufficient to act upon.

If you want to improve the quality of tires on RVs you need to be willing to walk away from a "deal" on an RV if the tires don't meet your standards. If you have a failure you need to be willing to make the effort to provided the needed info. Most importantly you need to not be part of the 57% of RV owners who have overloaded their tires and failed to follow the basic instructions in your RV owner's manual.

I would challenge every one of you to read the information you were provided and honestly answer the question of Have you done everything you were told to do?

I am curious. Just what would you think the actual failure rate is of tires in RV application after 3 years? 6 years ? 8 years?

Finally. Read THIS blog post on a "Defective" tire that suffered a "blowout" and tell me it failed because of some factory problem.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote