Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2019, 06:24 PM   #1

Unhappy Why Is It Aways Your Fault?

The right tire on my Rockwood Mini Lite 1905 showed extreme wear on the outside tire shoulder. The last 2 treads completely wore off while the rest of the tire looked to be in good shape. I called Dexter who forward me to a technician. After explaining the problem to him he told me that I must of hit something that bent the spindle or did not get proper service but under no circumstance was it a Dexter manufacturing issue or a Forest River problem and it would not be covered by warranty. However, I could buy a new axle by simply providing the serial number on the damaged one. I took the trailer to Discount Tire because I could not travel safely on a worn tire. After 2 minutes the service manager came back and told me the problem is tread separation. I would like to thank Forest River for the high quality of tires they saw fit to put on my trailer. THANKS FOR THE CHINA BOMBS!
Less is More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:36 PM   #2

why is it your fault????

Because it usually is !!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #3

The treath seperarion is courced by an alignment problem,probably because your wheel was hit by pavement edge or something.
So the chinese tires are not bad, it would even have happened , when you had American made tires.

And after a while, the new tire(s) will have the same wear.

So solve the alignment problem , and even russian or iranian tires, or from whatever country that has a bad name for you, will last 6 years or more, with even wear and no treath seperation(if tirepressure determined by this european guy( you know, those who put gremlins in your machines.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:09 AM   #4

No it not It's the US Governments think, have you been reading your side walls? When they say something like 2 plus 2 plus 2 plus rating as 10 ply because US says they can it's called fuzzy math and the US pass it along to company to get always with selling garbage unsafe tires to us and we allow this for years. Some day we will smarten up. When big company's stop buying government. $$$$$$$
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #5

How old is the trailer? If it's in warranty, the dealer is the one to deal with. Outside of warranty you're on your own.

If you still get uneven wear, most axles can be aligned.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:06 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo111 View Post
No it not It's the US Governments think, have you been reading your side walls? When they say something like 2 plus 2 plus 2 plus rating as 10 ply because US says they can it's called fuzzy math and the US pass it along to company to get always with selling garbage unsafe tires to us and we allow this for years. Some day we will smarten up. When big company's stop buying government. $$$$$$$
That's actually not what the sidewall states. It has a ply "rating". This rating is based off of when tires had cotton plies.

With advent of polyester, nylon, Kevlar, etc....tires can be made with less actual plys but are the equivalent of the more numerous cotton plies, hence the PR aka Ply Rating.

A tire with 10 ply rating or load range E.... Does not have to have ten actual plies if it's made of something besides cotton.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
That's actually not what the sidewall states. It has a ply "rating". This rating is based off of when tires had cotton plies.

With advent of polyester, nylon, Kevlar, etc....tires can be made with less actual plys but are the equivalent of the more numerous cotton plies, hence the PR aka Ply Rating.

A tire with 10 ply rating or load range E.... Does not have to have ten actual plies if it's made of something besides cotton.
Still Fuzzy Math
Old 08-26-2019, 10:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

Thank you, in reality they only have 3 or 4 'plies'.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Old 08-26-2019, 11:22 AM   #9

Quote:
The "Ply Rating" argument has been going on ever since they started putting the ply information on the sidewalls.

Early tires were made from "fabric plys" that were nowhere near as strong as what is used today. A SINGLE ply of todays modern fabrics can be many times stronger than what was used 50 or more years ago when tires were first given "Ply Ratings.

The number of plys used to make a tire is less important than the actual strength. I care more about Load Rating or "Service Description" that tells me how much the tire can carry and how fast I can drive on the tire.

Some ONE Ply tires could very well be stronger than any 10 ply, depending on the material and it's configuration.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Still Fuzzy Math
Only to those with "fuzzy" minds.

It's just like how people think that a "Half Ton" pickup can only carry a max of 1,000 lbs and a One Ton is limited to 2,000 lbs.

Times have changed and many people still have their minds frozen in the past (and think it's all the government's fault).

Old 08-26-2019, 11:30 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Still Fuzzy Math
Nothing fuzzy about it.

The Load Rating and Speed Rating are what I want to know about a trailer tire.
Car and Truck tires I also want good tread life and traction numbers.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:51 AM   #12

what 2 plus 2 pus 2 is 6 in my book rated at 10 ply is just stupid maybe that's why so many tire's fail and why many younger people were teach this in school today can't even make change in stores. Many people people say this and you all are just making the point for me. years ago when they said 10 ply it was 10 ply or 14 ply was really 14 ply. When you see all these tires pieces all over the road it's because the tires just can't take the heat and the load of the rating they claim.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:16 PM   #13

Quote:
what 2 plus 2 pus 2 is 6 in my book rated at 10 ply is just stupid maybe that's why so many tire's fail and why many younger people were teach this in school today can't even make change in stores. Many people people say this and you all are just making the point for me. years ago when they said 10 ply it was 10 ply or 14 ply was really 14 ply. When you see all these tires pieces all over the road it's because the tires just can't take the heat and the load of the rating they claim.
Sorry but it's clear you really don't understand tire materials used in today's tire.

Back when a 10 ply tire actually contained 10 plies it usually was only lasted a fraction of the miles today's tires last.

This is why you don't see "Ply Ratings" used on tires today but rather Load Range and Service Description which includes load index and speed rating.

If you want to live in the past, you're welcome to it.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:26 PM   #14
Paul & Dianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Only to those with "fuzzy" minds.

It's just like how people think that a "Half Ton" pickup can only carry a max of 1,000 lbs and a One Ton is limited to 2,000 lbs.

Times have changed and many people still have their minds frozen in the past (and think it's all the government's fault).
OMG... that was my first thought as I read through this post, pickup truck ratings. Yeah, the world changes more and more quickly and the rest of us try to keep up. Some days... are better than others!
Old 08-26-2019, 12:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThruHiker View Post
OMG... that was my first thought as I read through this post, pickup truck ratings. Yeah, the world changes more and more quickly and the rest of us try to keep up. Some days... are better than others!
Don't feel alone. I went to school during the time that we were taught in Science Class that traveling to the moon was impossible because no rocket could be built big enough to carry the necessary fuel to make the trip.

I graduated 8 years before the first Moon Landing. I always meant to go back and ask my old HS Science Teacher how he felt about how outdated his teaching became.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:16 PM   #16

That’s their way of getting out of doing legit warranty work on their tires. Tread separation is mostly from bad tires. Very rarely is it from road debris. And good tires will not get damaged by minor road debris. I would press the issue. The manuf’s need to start covering things they know are legit warranty!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:01 PM   #17

TitanMike, I have a 2019 25 BDS also with the China bombs that came with it. I'm thinking of replacing them very soon and wondered what tires are you running on your BDS? Thanks!
Famoussenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famoussenior View Post
TitanMike, I have a 2019 25 BDS also with the China bombs that came with it. I'm thinking of replacing them very soon and wondered what tires are you running on your BDS? Thanks!
I replaced with Goodyear Endurance after I got my money's worth out of the Castle Rocks (just under 20k miles). Oldest tire in set was 4 yrs old.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:56 AM   #19

Whats in a name. There are also not hanging 5 stars in a 5 star restorant, and Channel 5 is probably not sending out on channel 5 anymore.

Plyrating is commonly used in Europe, only when we wnt to sell to America, Loadrating is ( also) given on sidewall.

Its yust a system to orden the pressures for wich the maximum load is given, so you can calculate the needed pressure for your load.

The Amercan loadrange system have only 1 pressure behind AT for every loadrange, the European plyrating-system allowes exeptions.
American AT / European AT
LRB AT 35PSI/ 4PR AT 36PSI Exeptions to lower 32psi lowest.
LRC AT 50PSI / 6PR AT 55PSI EXC 50 PSI.
LRD AT 65PSI / 8PR AT 65PSI EXC 62,69,70 psi.
LRE AT 80 PSI /10 PR At 80 psi exc. 76,83 psi.

The pressure behind AT is what is important, so if you find that, it overrules the Loadrange or Plyrating.

But to get back ontopic, the tire is not bad here, the alignment is the problemm.
Only changing the tire, will give same only one side tirewear in a while, whatever trusted brand of tire you have.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadatis View Post
But to get back ontopic, the tire is not bad here, the alignment is the problemm.
Only changing the tire, will give same only one side tirewear in a while, whatever trusted brand of tire you have.
To get back offtopic, are you sure from Europe? You did not use tyre

1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate