Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2022, 10:14 AM   #141
D W
Senior Member
 
D W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ALASKA (World's Biggest Campground)
Posts: 6,705
Never had a problem with auto/truck tires in terms of catastrophic failures. ST tire failure is an "enigma". I've yet to hear a definitive answer on why they fail. A lot of guesses, but nothing empirical. I've had ST tires that have aged out at 4-5 years, and have plenty of tread left with no signs of external or internal impending failure. I can put these tires on my 20ft ATV trailer and run them for another two years hauling snowmachines and ATV's without issue. I can only surmise that while on the RV they are stressed by heat cycles and weight. ???
__________________
'07 K3500 Silverado LT Crew Duramax (LBZ)
2016 Salem 27RKSS
1984 CHEV SCOTTSDALE K20 2GCGK24J0E1XXXXXX (Chevrolet Legends-Class of 2019)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:42 AM   #142
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddelje View Post
Dry Rot on Tires
I own a 2016 Coachman Freelander 20CB class C RV. This is a Ford Transit 350HD chassis. It appears I have dry rot on the rear dual axle tires and will replace them.
My question is, besides frequent use, how do you prevent dry rot on tires? Do covers work? I am told to store the unit with wooden boards under the wheels and drive it every month. Will this prevent dry rot? Also, I read about an aerosol spray sealant that if applied monthly will prevent dry rot.

Would appreciate your thoughts as this appears to be a common problem on seldom used RVs.

Thanks

Jim B
Columbus Ohio

I have posted on my RVTireSafety blog, with actual data, on the advantages of tire covers. They can drop the tire temperature significantly when the rV is exposed to sunlight.
"Dry-Rot" is a misnomer as the actual problem is the rubber compound has the polymer bonds attacked at elevated temperature. This results in a loss of flexibility which leads to the surface cracking you see.
__________________
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 03:00 PM   #143
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 22
14” tire blowout

I just had a nasty blowout - let’s see if I can upload the picture - of a 14” factory tire on my Vibe 25RK. The tires are running near the maximum allowable load. I was doing just 60MPH on a pretty reasonable freeway surface and it wasn’t a hot day. I had glanced at my TPMS not too many minutes earlier and nothing was amiss. The TPMS alerted exactly at the moment we heard the bang. The event was reasonably controlled, damaging only the plastic wheel well trim, although the tire ended up looking like it was used for artillery target practice.

These were factory 14” load range D tires. I will gladly shell out the $1300 to upgrade to name-brand 15” tires and rims with load range E, if I can confirm adequate space exists in the wheel well. There is totally enough space while stationary but I suspect that with normal motion of the coach, larger tires would contact the enclosure. I may be stuck with just replacing the tires with a good brand while staying with 14”.

I thought I had set up a signature here but it looks like not.

Gerald Hawkins
King County, Washington State
Forest River Vibe 25RK, 2021 West Coast model
2020 Nissan Armada
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C33517C0-E24B-49F9-B319-09B63D52E0FA.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	280402  
gerald98053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:48 PM   #144
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Recently read about a failure and asked if the person had bothered to file a complaint with NHTSA, He said it was NHTSA's responsibility to be testing the bad tires. I responded...

NHTSA is under budget constraints thanks to Congress, so they have to prioritize and in general all tires are low on the list of items they try and monitor (air bags, seat belts, child seats and any other "safety related item on motor vehicles).
Due to low failure rates of tires and even lower personal injury rates and further down would be fatality rates of less than 1 in 100,000 or fewer complaints.
NHTSA also knows from previous and ongoing data collection that over half of RV owners have one or more tire in overload with most of those due to poor maintenance and low air pressure.
Another issue is that if they only have a few actionable complaints on file how can they justify spending $$ on testing that specific tire. Which one brand and design and size would you advocate spending $30 to $100 thousand on for the battery of tests and how could they justify that expenditure in front of Congressional hearing asking why NHTSA wants a bigger budget?

A couple years ago I some time researching and reviewing complaints on file that might have been from RV owners.
What I found were a lot of "sob stories" but very few facts. Less than half had a proper size i.e. "My 205-15 tire failed".. A smaller percentage had the complete DOT serial. Some said things like "My Firestone Marathon tire exploded while on our trip to visit my mother who was sick". Sorry but trip information is on no value and if the complainant can't be bothered to know the brand and design of the tire how can they trust the rest of the information.

Complaints do not need to be long but they really need one thing it's the COMPLETE DOT serial including date code at end. I have advocated that people collect and write down this information before there is a tire problem and keep that info with the rest of your important RV documents. The DOT serial is also used if/when there is a recall so you would need to know the serial to know if your tires are subject to recall. Yes there have been recalls that involve tires that are on RVs.

I do understand that people want to get back on the road but at a minimum would be to capture a couple pictures of the failed tire (tire filling entire frame is best). NHTSA may or may not ask for the pictures in follow up but if you don't even have a couple of pictures exactly what evidence are tou bringing to the table?
You should also try and carry a trash bag large enough to carry the failed tire back to the dealer if you don't have spare tire rack. In reality the dealer is suppose to file a complaint with his distributor so that information can be sent on to NHTSA but sometimes I wonder if they bother so it really is up to us, the users to file the complaint.
Hi, I have had two tire blowouts in my short 3 years of owning a Dynamax Osata3 motor home. Another 2 lost the air quickly without actually blowing from the valves stem being cut by the centrífugas force. It has always been the dullies in the rear. My boggiest question is what is the right pressure? The door post from the RV manufactuter says inflate to 62 lbs max, but the tires themselves say 80lbs maximum. Thats a big discrepancy, which is correct? On my most recent trip i had them at 69 cold, which would rise to mis to high 70s on the road, and seemed fine. When i realized the door stamp said 62 max, i lowered them to 63, and now after getting back i have the right rear inner out of air. Don't know the outcome yet, cause it happened shortly before arriving at my destinación, and called road service. Biggest question " WHAT PRESSURE is THE CORRECT ONE"?
ExFireFMFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:29 PM   #145
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFireFMFlorida View Post
The door post from the RV manufactuter says inflate to 62 lbs max, but the tires themselves say 80lbs maximum. Thats a big discrepancy, which is correct? On my most recent trip i had them at 69 cold, which would rise to mis to high 70s on the road, and seemed fine. When i realized the door stamp said 62 max, i lowered them to 63, and now after getting back i have the right rear inner out of air. Don't know the outcome yet, cause it happened shortly before arriving at my destinación, and called road service. Biggest question " WHAT PRESSURE is THE CORRECT ONE"?
The label on the door is the recommended cold inflation pressure, not maximum.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:59 AM   #146
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFireFMFlorida View Post
Hi, I have had two tire blowouts in my short 3 years of owning a Dynamax Osata3 motor home. Another 2 lost the air quickly without actually blowing from the valves stem being cut by the centrífugas force. It has always been the dullies in the rear. My boggiest question is what is the right pressure? The door post from the RV manufactuter says inflate to 62 lbs max, but the tires themselves say 80lbs maximum. Thats a big discrepancy, which is correct? On my most recent trip i had them at 69 cold, which would rise to mis to high 70s on the road, and seemed fine. When i realized the door stamp said 62 max, i lowered them to 63, and now after getting back i have the right rear inner out of air. Don't know the outcome yet, cause it happened shortly before arriving at my destinación, and called road service. Biggest question " WHAT PRESSURE is THE CORRECT ONE"?



The door jam sticker is the minimum cold inflation needed to support the max load on an axle. So 62. Have you had the RV on a truck scale to learn the actual weight on each axle?



Not enough info to know why you had tire failures but I suggest that all RVs have bolt in metal valve stems. Any of these would be good but sometimes MB has special wheels so you need to confirm fit. BUT "Bolt-In' not just "High Pressure" snap in is what you need.


I will PM you with nore info.
__________________
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:06 AM   #147
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald98053 View Post
I just had a nasty blowout - let’s see if I can upload the picture - of a 14” factory tire on my Vibe 25RK. The tires are running near the maximum allowable load. I was doing just 60MPH on a pretty reasonable freeway surface and it wasn’t a hot day. I had glanced at my TPMS not too many minutes earlier and nothing was amiss. The TPMS alerted exactly at the moment we heard the bang. The event was reasonably controlled, damaging only the plastic wheel well trim, although the tire ended up looking like it was used for artillery target practice.

These were factory 14” load range D tires. I will gladly shell out the $1300 to upgrade to name-brand 15” tires and rims with load range E, if I can confirm adequate space exists in the wheel well. There is totally enough space while stationary but I suspect that with normal motion of the coach, larger tires would contact the enclosure. I may be stuck with just replacing the tires with a good brand while staying with 14”.

I thought I had set up a signature here but it looks like not.

Gerald Hawkins
King County, Washington State
Forest River Vibe 25RK, 2021 West Coast model
2020 Nissan Armada



That failure looks like a Run Low Flex Failure due to air leak. I don't see a TPMS which should have given you a warning.
__________________
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:08 AM   #148
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 3
Before getting a TT, we had a HM (another brand). Thank goodness we never had a blowout but called roadside assistance several times due to flats on the rear duallys. We used the recommended tire inflation on the door in hopes that it would ride smoother (we could only hope). Long story short, even though we had D rated truck tires we needed high pressure valve stems instead of the crappy ones from Walmart. Every time a tire lost air, it was the valve stems.
DebbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 04:36 PM   #149
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 2
Questions about tire size on Geo Pro G19FBS

I have a 2020 with 14" Goodyear Endurance tires. Considering going up to 15" wheels with same type tire. More clearance and 15' are Load Range E rather than D for current tires.
Is the tire size the only difference in the "Off Road Package" from Forest River?
I have TPMS that tells me my current tires are fine pressure and temperature wise on long haul at 65-70 MPH.
Am i just wanting to waste money for little advantage or is there benefit in the change?
Casacarajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 06:31 AM   #150
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 1,228
I upgraded my tires from load range C to D, and it has solved my blowout problems on all of my trailers. It added a tiny bit of clearance.

As for clearance, if you need it, it is worth it. The first time I took the trailer to our property, I high centered on the stairs and had to remove them to get over a hump. Since it is my property, I fixed the road, but on public roads that may not be an option.

My nephew has air bags on his truck, so he was able to pump them up and clear a dip.
__________________
2009 Roo 21ss + 2007 Superduty 6.0
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 03:09 PM   #151
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casacarajo View Post
I have a 2020 with 14" Goodyear Endurance tires. Considering going up to 15" wheels with same type tire. More clearance and 15' are Load Range E rather than D for current tires.
Is the tire size the only difference in the "Off Road Package" from Forest River?
I have TPMS that tells me my current tires are fine pressure and temperature wise on long haul at 65-70 MPH.
Am i just wanting to waste money for little advantage or is there benefit in the change?

You would need to ask Forest River on what is in the Package.


Without knowing the scale weight numbers and the complete tire size and which 15' you are considering, there isn't enough information in your post.
__________________
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 03:12 PM   #152
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
I upgraded my tires from load range C to D, and it has solved my blowout problems on all of my trailers. It added a tiny bit of clearance.

As for clearance, if you need it, it is worth it. The first time I took the trailer to our property, I high centered on the stairs and had to remove them to get over a hump. Since it is my property, I fixed the road, but on public roads that may not be an option.

My nephew has air bags on his truck, so he was able to pump them up and clear a dip.

When you went from LR-C to LR-D did the tire size also change? Do you run more PSI than the 50 PSI listed for the LR-C tires? Do you have truck scale weights on your RV? It's possible you were overloading the original LR-C tires which would contribute to having blowouts.
__________________
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 11:47 PM   #153
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casacarajo View Post
I have a 2020 with 14" Goodyear Endurance tires. Considering going up to 15" wheels with same type tire. More clearance and 15' are Load Range E rather than D for current tires.
Is the tire size the only difference in the "Off Road Package" from Forest River?
I have TPMS that tells me my current tires are fine pressure and temperature wise on long haul at 65-70 MPH.
Am i just wanting to waste money for little advantage or is there benefit in the change?
I'm far from a tire expert. But going from a 14" to 15 inch tire will at best give you 1" of ground clearance. Is that worth the cost to you?

A quick look at the GeoPro page mentions something about a "lift kit". That would give you more bang for the buck I think.

Look at the tires. What is their maximum load? You have a single axel trailer? Does 2 * max load get you higher enough over the axel weight of the trailer?

Jim M.
__________________
2020 Flagstaff Super Lite 26RBWS
Former: 2017 Rockwood MiniLite 2104S
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Gas
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 08:19 AM   #154
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 17,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
I'm far from a tire expert. But going from a 14" to 15 inch tire will at best give you 1" of ground clearance. Is that worth the cost to you?
Actually the gain in road clearance from going up 1" in wheel diameter will at best be only 1/2". You can only get to count the increase in the wheel's radius . The other 1/2" is above the axle and contributes nothing to the lift.

Sometimes the benefit in going up 1" in wheel size is more options, both in sizes and choices of manufacturer.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will." (Japanese Proverb)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 09:14 AM   #155
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casacarajo View Post
I have a 2020 with 14" Goodyear Endurance tires. Considering going up to 15" wheels with same type tire. More clearance and 15' are Load Range E rather than D for current tires.
Is the tire size the only difference in the "Off Road Package" from Forest River?
I have TPMS that tells me my current tires are fine pressure and temperature wise on long haul at 65-70 MPH.
Am i just wanting to waste money for little advantage or is there benefit in the change?
I did what you’re considering, from 14” to 15” so I could get load range E GY Endurances. I did it for peace of mind with clearance being a plus. Not cheap. I replaced my wheels with the same style but had to monitor the web for se months for the best price.
Ground clearance wise I gained about an inch in lift with 12” from the wheel and another with a taller tire. The downside of the taller tire is less clearance in the wheel well.
__________________
2019 Freedom Express 248RBS
2012 F150 Supercrew 4x4
simiHal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 01:48 PM   #156
Senior Member
 
Airdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by simiHal View Post
I did what you’re considering, from 14” to 15” so I could get load range E GY Endurances. I did it for peace of mind with clearance being a plus. Not cheap. I replaced my wheels with the same style but had to monitor the web for se months for the best price.
Ground clearance wise I gained about an inch in lift with 12” from the wheel and another with a taller tire. The downside of the taller tire is less clearance in the wheel well.

Ant that's why one should always check with the vehicle manufacturer before using taller, wider tires.
__________________
A Trailer Tire Poster
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 08:03 PM   #157
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,894
If you have a tire question

As an actual Tire Design Engineer (Ret) and RV owner I monitor this and other RV forums and try and answer questions based on my 50 years experience. It would make my job easier if you have a question if you could provide the following information so I don't have to start out asking questions which may seem like I am making things difficult. Without the facts I would be forced to guess and as an Engineer I do not want to Guess.


1. What does your Certification Label say for GAWR, Tire size and Load Rating.
2. Are your tires P type, LT Type, ST type or Metric (no letter before the numbers)
3. Truck scale readings when the RV is loaded to it's heaviest. Individual axle readings are better than the total if you have two axles. The weight should be when you are hooked up as if you were traveling.
4. What is your normal cold tire PSI?
5. Do you run a TPMS?
6. What is your Low Pressure warning level set on your TPMS.
7. Why are you changing tires?
8. What are the new tires you are using (Size, type and LR)
9. What is your specific question?
__________________
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 10:11 AM   #158
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Hills of Northwestern PA
Posts: 2,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casacarajo View Post
Is the tire size the only difference in the "Off Road Package" from Forest River?

Am i just wanting to waste money for little advantage or is there benefit in the change?
There are a couple tire websites that list the tire size differences in diameter and height, circumference, rotations per mile, ect. often with comparison calculators.
You’d gain about 3/4” from the actual tire diameter 1” increase.
Last I checked, for the Wolf Pup models, the off road package has a stronger axle (5000# vice standard 3500#), bigger wheels (by 1”), and underslung axle.

Dexter sells axle mounting kits to change from over to under axle. About $65 per 3500# axle. THIS gave me a near 5” lift on my Wolf Pup BHS16. The Goodyear Endurance change (upping from ST14/75-205 to 215) added a tiny bit more, both from size and stiffness compared to the Castle Rocks. I no longer have dragging concerns.

IF buying new, I strongly recommend getting the stronger axle. Not just for hauling weight but able to withstand more bad road abuse.
__________________
2019 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS flipped axle, 5K springs, 400AH LiFePO4, 3K inverter, 200W CIGS solar
2019 Ford F-150 S-Crew 5.5 bed V8 w/tow package, ITBC, Tow Mirrors, 3.55, SumoSprings, 7000# GVWR, 1990#CC
Husky Centerline TS WDH 400-600# spring bars
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 07:29 AM   #159
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 1,228
The D range tires were a little taller and wider than the stock tires. I believe most trailers have overloaded the tires as soon as you load them. I've had flats and blowouts even on my 1000# utility trailer running Load Range C tires. No issues once I changed to Load Range D six years ago. The same was true of my boat trailer. Multiple blowouts and none since the change.

When I broke the axle spindle on my utility trailer (driving fast on a rough two track) I was told that for off road use you should double the axle rating. He said the Forest Service brought him lots of ATV trailers with broken axles. I canconfirm that Forest Service employees drive fast on rough roads. I upped the axle to a 3500# axle, and haven't had any issues since.
__________________
2009 Roo 21ss + 2007 Superduty 6.0
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 09:51 AM   #160
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
The D range tires were a little taller and wider than the stock tires. I believe most trailers have overloaded the tires as soon as you load them. I've had flats and blowouts even on my 1000# utility trailer running Load Range C tires. No issues once I changed to Load Range D six years ago. The same was true of my boat trailer. Multiple blowouts and none since the change.

When I broke the axle spindle on my utility trailer (driving fast on a rough two track) I was told that for off road use you should double the axle rating. He said the Forest Service brought him lots of ATV trailers with broken axles. I canconfirm that Forest Service employees drive fast on rough roads. I upped the axle to a 3500# axle, and haven't had any issues since.



Interesting observation.
While different design tires (Snow tires vs summer tires or passenger tires vs Off-Road designs) may have different OD, according to Tire & Rim Industry standards that all the major tire companies that make their own molds, follow there is no significant difference in dimensions between tires of the same design but with different Load Range.
Example ST215/75R15 LR-C and LR-D would normally have the same OD.
Now there may be some "off-brand" tires made where the company is using old molds from different designs from other countries I do not think you will find any significant OD differences in tires from top tier or even 2nd tier companies
__________________
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tire, tires

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.