Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 06:38 PM   #1

Will my New Dexter Brakes self adjust?

It would appears as if my Dexter brakes on my Rockwood Fifth-wheel failed. I had new ones installed ($2400!!!) and the technician told me that they would self adjust overtime as the finish wears off. I am a little concerned because I am going on a long trip...Is this true??
billy95991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:12 PM   #2
Retired Old Fart

Dexter does make "self-adjusting" brakes. But they need to have the initial adjustment set when installed. After that, they will continue to adjust (basically tighten up to account for wear on the pads) with use.

They will "self-adjust" when new if not adjusted when installed, but proper installation would include that initial adjustment. Otherwise it may take them a while to tighten enough to start to work and break the pads in.

The Dexter "self-adjusting" brake assemblies look like this (note the extra wire connection that is missing in the stand brake assemblies. Depending on which size hub you have that wire may be in a different place, but it will be visible with the hub off). Also there are left and right assemblies, so one will be reversed from the other, etc...

You may want to double check and make sure they installed the little rubber plug in the adjustment slot on the back side of the brake assembly backer plate (will be at the bottom edge of each assembly facing the axle). It is a a horizontal slot that "should" have a rubber dust plug to keep dust, water and road crud out of the inside of the assembly. This is the slot where the initial adjustment is made. Depending on exact model there will either be one or two of these slots.

Standard brake assembly on the left, Dexter "Nev-R-Adjust" self-adjusting on the right. Image is of the 10" assemblies, but they also come in the larger hub sizes as well:

dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:00 PM   #3

Sounds like the tech failed to properly pre-adjust after he installed new linings.

The square cam that the magnet operates can only move the shoes so far and if he left them "sloppy" they may not be getting any grip on the drum.

Yes, the self adjusters will adjust over time but only one or two notches at a time so it could take numerous applications of the brakes before any improvement will be felt.

If you are familiar with manual adjustments on drum brakes I'd get an adjustment tool (any A/P store), jack up wheels and advance the adjustment so you hear the shoes touching the drums as you turn the wheel. Go real slow because backing off with automatic adjusters installed takes two hands along with a small pocket screwdriver and the adjustment tool.

If you just want to let the auto adjusters do the job then go to a large parking lot and drive back and forth, manually stopping using the handle on controller. Keep repeating until you feel brakes. The adjusters usually work only in one direction but if you stop in both forward and reverse several times it helps center the shoes against the anchor for max effect.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes