Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #1

Windjammer 2809W Rocking & Moving Issues

We've only been on two trips in our TT. So we're still working out the bugs! Getting ready for another trip soon. There are just a few things that need to be addressed. What is the best way to stop the movement of the TT whenever someone is coming in and out of the doors (like when they are coming up or down the steps) or just walking around inside? Both of our slides are on the back side so I'm not sure this makes a difference. My DH uses the wheel chocks but obviously we need something else. Also, we love using our awning. However, on both trips we found ourselves scurrying to get it rolled up when strong winds came in with no warning. I don't expect it to hold up through strong winds but is there anything that you could recommend to anchor it to the ground or keep it from flapping so much? At least until we see if the wind is going to die down or give us time to get it in. I know there are a lot of things out there to help with these issues but I would like to hear from some of you that have experience with issues and what worked for you. Thank you!
2Barnetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #2

I have a 3008W Windjammer and it moved around quite a bit. What I do is put X-Chocks between the tires on both sides. Keeps the trailer from moving front to back. Also got 2 scissor jacks to put under the axle frame, again one on each side. This stops the trailer from bouncing on the tires while parked. These things seem to help quite a bit.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Barnetts View Post
Also, we love using our awning. However, on both trips we found ourselves scurrying to get it rolled up when strong winds came in with no warning. I don't expect it to hold up through strong winds but is there anything that you could recommend to anchor it to the ground or keep it from flapping so much?
Almost any store that has RV supplies - including Walmart - carry deflappers for your awning. Here is a reference with pictures.

Camco RV Awning DeFlapper : Cabela's

Here is a reference showing awning tie downs.

Amazon.com: rv awning tie downs

Airdale
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
rip

I use Old Coots awning pole supports with my 2809W, they are great. See this thread link...
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...kit-49765.html
I also use a set (two) Camco 44531 adjustable stabilizers attached to a board that I place under my front steps (board cut to fit under bottom step cavity). It has to be adjusted up and down depending on the level of my trailer at a particular site, and I sometimes add boards under it in extreme level situations. See this CW link...
Adjustable Stabilizer - Camco 44531 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World
FYI - I found them at half the CW price for $15 each at Wal-Mart.

Edit - Oh, I take that back, I think I'm using Stromberg Carlson stabilizers with my Windjammer. The Camcos were for another trailer.

I don't use de-flappers with my power awnings. Good to see you are getting out with your Windjammer. I just got back from a week near Ft. Davis and Big Bend. Heading to Frio River area next. This Bazos Valley pollen is making a real powdery mess on my trailer. Stop by, I'll show you the installed poles or the step stabilizer.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Barnetts View Post
My DH uses the wheel chocks but obviously we need something else.
it would help if you gave us more info than just "wheel chocks". that could mean anything from cheap plastic wedge chocks to the excellent Rotochoks.

most who use tandem wheel chocks, either the homemade ones to the pricey Rotochoks, solve nearly all trailer movement issues, along with using the trailer's stabilizers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
DW's 401(k) Plan

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. However, I just ordered a step stabilizer and this model to help the rocking.

BAL x-chocks also help the front to rear roll better than regular tire chocks.

Larry

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #7

Some time in the future you should look into adding scissor jacks to the front and back on each side, these will lift the frame up a little. If you have electric stabilizers... they look nice but not all that great for 'stabilization'. x-chocks on one set of wheels will stop the forward to back rocking.

Awning de-flappers do not work all that well with electric awnings. Look into getting brackets from 'Old Coot' and make to legs to strap the awning in place from flapping up and down. They work as good as any factory product.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #8

These step supports adjust with (1) hand, range is (1-1/2 to 17") supports up to (2000lbs) in stock at any (Junkyard) cheap! Youroo!! Self storing also!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4112.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	49175   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4114.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	49176  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #9
rip

On the wheels, I've found a set of the simple lever action Chock-n-Lock work well for the space between my 2809W tires. I don't just depend on these to hold my Windjammer on an incline, I put some regular triangle chocks under my tires too. This helps with front/back wiggle.

The step stabilizer I mentioned in an earlier post helped my entry sway and my steps feel more solid as I step down.

My two 2809W slides are opposite my doors. I notice my level bubles change as I extend them. I believe that also affects my Windjammer's balance, and contributes to suspension sway as I move about. You'll notice it more with two of you. I'm considering a set of slide stabilizers for my jumbo dining table slide, not my queen bed slide. I read pros and cons on slide stabilizers.

My Windjammer's frame has power stabilizers front and back. I can tell when they are extended. They reduce sway but not eliminate it, as you probably notice too.

Pics of chock-n-lock and step stabilizer attached...
Attached Images

+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #10
Pirate Todd and Wench

I carry a simple bottle jack for tire changes and it is now dual purpose. I take the bottle jack and put it between the two drivers side wheels and just inside the wheel path you'll see an angle iron lip sticking down from the frame. Jack this up so your about an inch off level leaning toward the passenger side before tipping out. When the tips come out you should be dead level and the rig is solid as a rock. I have the same Windjammer by the way.
-Equilzer 1200lb hitch
mrtodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammin View Post
I have a 3008W Windjammer and it moved around quite a bit. What I do is put X-Chocks between the tires on both sides. Keeps the trailer from moving front to back. Also got 2 scissor jacks to put under the axle frame, again one on each side. This stops the trailer from bouncing on the tires while parked. These things seem to help quite a bit.

Hello, new to the forum! Mainly just a lurker, but learning a TON...finally found a good reason to throw down my first post/comment!

You mentioned the scissor jacks under your axle frame. I have a 3006W and have acquired two scissor jacks for that very same reason. Did you permanently mount them or do you just slide them in place once you arrive at your destination? If you've permanently mounted them (which is what I'd prefer to do), pics and a description would be awesome (and appreciated)... Thanks!
lotzoftime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #12

RIP thanks for sharing the pics; I'm going to add the stabilizer jacks on the front and rear to help cut down on the bounce. I put the slides out and then level my trailer out using the drive on blocks.

One other thing we noticed is condensation from the front window behind the couch is leaking down onto our counter and created a bubble in the shelf. Anyone else had any issues with the front windows leaking?
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 2809W
2004 Dodge Ram 5.7L 4X4 Quad
dfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
280, windjammer