Old 02-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johntgif View Post
If using non-insulated metal butt connectors, they can also be soldered in place for a very positive connection. Use WITH heat shrink to completely seal and protect the circuit connection.
If you do a proper crimp, no solder can penetrate it.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:28 PM   #22

If you point all brake wires up … twist … flux, slip a crimp connector over them, use something like a Buchannan tool to crimp them, then solder and heat shrink … there's absolutely noting wrong with this approach. We've done it on multitudes of TT's and fivers … never had one come back for brake wiring issues.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:36 PM   #23

Use one of these.

http://www.genuinedealz.com/wire-spl...10-awg-10-pack

Crimp only. No solder.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:41 AM   #24
Texas Member

My humble apology is due!

Well…guess you can chalk it up to lack of experience and poor lighting in the storage building…but I stand corrected!!! The passenger side brakes ARE wired up…just as ya’ll mentioned above, they are jumped through the axel from the driver’s side!!!
Went there yesterday with drop lights and tools to make the repaired and low and behold they are wired!
(but I did spend ½ a day there dressing up wiring that was hanging loose and out of the wire loom waiting to get snagged or rub, adding loom where needed on the tanks and to bare wires on sharp metal edges all over the place)
Thanks for all you input and knowledge…this summer I will be back under there replacing all the cheap connectors with crimp splices too!
Again, my apologies to FR and the forum for an inaccurate post about the brakes!
Nights Camping: 2019 (19) 2020 (18)

"I May Not Be Too Smart But I'm Always Thinking"
Moore Travels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:32 PM   #25
Head Rambler

Thanks for coming back and letting us know that they turned out ok. A lot of people would have just bowed out and left us hanging.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:27 PM   #26

I see nothing has changed with quality control! Seems it doesn't matter what kind of RV you have Forrest River can screw it up. But they arn't alone ALL the RV's manufactures are the same! It's a shame!
Dave Telenko
snoopy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:28 PM   #27

Moore Travels follow up note has prodded me to slide under my R-Pod and look for worn, exposed wires. The pre-first trip inspection list just got longer. This has been a good thread. Thanks.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #28
Paul & Dianne

Our new 5er is still at the dealers waiting for spring. I did notice on the delivery inspection that the brake wires are not tied off very well and are not protected at all. One of the things on my list when we bring it home is wire loom. Now, after reading this thread, I can see there’s a lot more to inspect too. Thanks all who posted!

Tags
brakes, factory, trailer, wiring