Old 03-11-2019, 05:42 PM   #1

Wolf Pup 16BHS - Tires

Hello everyone,

I just bought a 2015 Wolf Pup 16BHS. I am new to TTs so I need some help regarding the tires.

My Wolf Pup has two LionHead Vail Sport Radial ST 205/75R14 tires. They are 6-ply rated 1760lb load at 50PSI.

They looked in great condition when I bought the TT but today I noticed a 2 inch long by 1/4 inch swollen spot on the tread (not the sidewalls) of one of the tires. It worried me because we are getting ready to go camping in a week and I don't feel comfortable driving 180 miles.

Since I am not familiar with TT tires can you please:
A. Recommend a good brand/model.
B. Where do you guys take your TTs for tire replacement, meaning do regular car tire stores replace TT tires or do I have to go to a RV dealership or RV service center?

Thanking you all in advance.

LL
Lambrosfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #2

Goodyear Endurance is the new king of the hill. All who buy them rave about them (I haven't changed my OEM yet).
Newer TT tires are often higher pressure and higher speed rated. Even if you don't go the higher speeds, it still means they can handle heat better. My OEM tires are rated at 65# max pressure and 75MPH. The new Endurance are rated at 87MPH!
You can get those through most major tire retailers and even Sams club & Walmart.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #3

I would like to bump this back up to the top as I am looking for tires for this same trailer.

The issue is we want a 10%ish load cushion between the tire load rating and the trailer GVWR right? But if you look at 14" wheels load range D is the highest range I can find. Looking at the Goodyear Endurance tires their max load is 2040lb for the 215 size. The trailer GVWR is 3,877lb + 10% = 4,265lb and the tires combined deliver 4,080lb which is only about a 5% cushion.

Is this OK? It seems marginal at best to me. Would be great to have a Load range E 14" tire but I haven't been able to find one. Thoughts?
2016Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:47 PM   #4

If you take off the tongue weight, that’ll be your cushion...
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffywhitedogs View Post
If you take off the tongue weight, that’ll be your cushion...
Your right, I forgot about that. So take ~400lb off and it gets me closer at ~8%. I guess that will have to do unless I want to upgrade to 15" wheels/tires but then I am sure my weak link will be the axle. Need to see what the rating on it is.

I just hate how everything is so marginal on these things....
2016Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016Pup View Post
Your right, I forgot about that. So take ~400lb off and it gets me closer at ~8%. I guess that will have to do unless I want to upgrade to 15" wheels/tires but then I am sure my weak link will be the axle. Need to see what the rating on it is.

I just hate how everything is so marginal on these things....
in my opinion you want to go as high a load rating you can get for your rim size which would be a D load . yes the tongue does carry weight , but remember when your running down the road there will be times your TT tires carry the full weight . Bumps and dips in the road will cause all weight to be on TT tires and then some . Just like if you stood on a scale and jumped up and down . your weight would increase from the inertia
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, wolf pup