Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2021, 08:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by old hunter View Post
I have a 5 year old clipper but mine is single axle and came with west lake tires.I wonder if they are any better than castle rocks.Mine are very low miles and look great but who knows?
I've seen a few good comments about Westlake, and nothing bad. I've had them on my boat trailer for three years now. I don't recall their country of origin. If I had to change them tomorrow, I'd go with GY Endurance.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:21 PM   #22

I will check them good this spring when I get it home from storage.I don’t have as bad of expense as others so it may be worth just changing them.Being broke down is always in the worst spot of course lol
Old 03-17-2021, 08:40 PM   #23

All tires made in China are NOT China Bombs. Some are. I have had good luck with Westlakes, Carlisles, Goodyears and others that were made in China.

My Goodyear dealer likes Carlisle trailer tires.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:03 PM   #24

Lots of folks, probably by far the majority, have no trouble with Castle Rock tires. Lots of folks, certainly the majority, have never had a home burn down. Still... would you want to be without fire insurance? We hear lots of folks having trouble with the Castle Rocks, Carlisles and others seem to have a much better reputation.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:18 AM   #25

I simply will not run a Chinese tire on my Fifth Wheel. There's always the guy that has "Never had a Problem" with them, but I'll listen to the hundred other guys that did. When those tires come apart it can be disastrous. I don't want to spend my fun time battling with tires. Good luck to all you guys that think you're getting away with something. They don't call them, "China Bombs", "Blow Maxes" etc. for nothing. The cost difference does is not much savings when one comes apart. Let's not even go into safety when you're on the side of the Interstate changing a tire with vehicles going by you at 80+ MPH. Just search those terms on these pages, and you'll be reading horror stories for hours.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:56 AM   #26

Unfortunately, there is no good data on which to base a risk vs price decision. Anecdotes about tire failures dominate because nobody is going to post that their "China Bombs" didn't blow up AGAIN.

RV manufacturers have raised the bar slightly - from what was truly a low bar - on what the minimum load capacity of the installed tires have to be. That alone has to have reduced the number of blow-outs with OEM tires - the reduced number that I am seeing in these posts since 2018. Also, speed ratings on trailer tires are now mostly 75+ instead of 65mph. I suspect, but can't prove, that there are some quality improvements to support the higher speed rating.

Fortunately, tires are a choice you and I can make. I can look at my situation, calculate that I have healthy reserve capacity on the tires, have a single axle trailer, store my trailer in the garage, and decide to take the risk that my Castle Rock tires will last the 5 years I intend to use them (they are at year 2.5).

You can assess your risk differently (tandem axles, exposed to more sunlight, less reserve capacity), and decide to replace the tires immediately. Isn't freedom grand?

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage tow vehicle
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:36 PM   #27

Yup, we all make choices. Only comment I would have is the number of Goodyear/Michelin complaints, as compared to Castle Rock/Tow Maxes etc. complaints. Good luck on your choice. I don't wish bad to anyone.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:20 PM   #28

luck was with you, but for how long?
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:21 PM   #29

Best of luck to you. I bet we never hear the end result.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuscombeFlyer View Post
What is it with the Castle Rock tires supplied by Forest River?

I have a 2020 Apex 251RBK with the standard Castle Rock tires. The trailer is never over gross weight (usually way under and with empty tanks), the tires are always inspected and inflated to 65psi cold, and typically interstate towing speeds of 65 with an occasional spurt to 70 if required to pass.

The first tire blew about two weeks ago at a little under 4800 miles. The second blew last night, while stationary in the campground and about 4 1/2 hours after we stopped driving! Scared the bejeezus out of us, the guest next door, and sent the park ranger running our way wondering who was taking potshots at the wildlife.

With all the posts and horror stories, surely Forest River knows they're equipping their campers with time bombs for tires? I recall what happened to a US automaker ten or twelve years ago after they equipped with cars with tires that had a tendency to blow out; it didn't go well for them. But FR isn't alone, I had the same issue with the tires on a Jayco we owned previously.

I'll be off to Goodyear tomorrow for a set of Endurance tires!
About the only way to keep Castle Rocks off of a new trailer is to negotiate them off. When buyers are unwilling to purchase a trailer with Castle Rocks on them, dealers/manufacturers will see the light., But, too many people don’t know or are too excited about the purchase to think about tires.

I’ve had 2 new trailers with Castle Rocks, and never had an issue. I replaced both sets long before they were worn out, but I got a couple of long (6 months) camping seasons out of them. But I check tires and air pressure every day before I tow, and quickly inspect them every time I stop (fuel, food, etc.).

My next new trailer won’t have Castle Rocks on them.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:48 PM   #31

If you take the time to read many of these topics you will see that most people are overloaded. The cheap Chinese tire that was provided by the factory doesn’t have a chance to survive.
Many people that had a “China bomb “ have no idea what happened or when it happened which created all the the damage.
Having a TPMS and monitoring is the only way you have a chance of preventing a blow out.
Picking up a nail at a rest stop will end up looking like a bomb went off by the time you realize it. It happens to all brands of tires from everywhere around the world including Good year.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:29 PM   #32

Not impressed.

If felt with proper maintenance, and there is no way I would over load my trailer, my china bombs would be fine.

Bad choice. Interesting how much damage a blown tire will do, and mine was minimal.

So to those that have no problem with their china bombs. Best of luck?

Good thing I could fix the blow out damage myself. Can you?
JRogers984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuscombeFlyer View Post
What is it with the Castle Rock tires supplied by Forest River?

I have a 2020 Apex 251RBK with the standard Castle Rock tires. The trailer is never over gross weight (usually way under and with empty tanks), the tires are always inspected and inflated to 65psi cold, and typically interstate towing speeds of 65 with an occasional spurt to 70 if required to pass.

The first tire blew about two weeks ago at a little under 4800 miles. The second blew last night, while stationary in the campground and about 4 1/2 hours after we stopped driving! Scared the bejeezus out of us, the guest next door, and sent the park ranger running our way wondering who was taking potshots at the wildlife.

With all the posts and horror stories, surely Forest River knows they're equipping their campers with time bombs for tires? I recall what happened to a US automaker ten or twelve years ago after they equipped with cars with tires that had a tendency to blow out; it didn't go well for them. But FR isn't alone, I had the same issue with the tires on a Jayco we owned previously.

I'll be off to Goodyear tomorrow for a set of Endurance tires!

So, in 2018 I bought my first TT - a Flaggstaff E-Pro 12RK. (Yes, a tiny, lightweight thing, but it has worked well for me.) Unfortunately, it came with those darn Castle Rock tires and it was only later after I took one trip with the TT that I started reading about the problems people were having with them. I have to say, however, that I have put over 10,000 miles on those tires since 2018. I always make sure that they are inflated to 65 psi in the morning, I use a TPMS, and I usually drive a boring 55mph (to help protect the tires and save gas as well). BUT, having said that, I still worry about them. The problem is that the tires are size R13. Goodyear Endurance tires do NOT come in a size R13 unfortunately; otherwise, I would have changed them out already. Can anyone recommend another brand that might be better than the Castle Rocks in size R13? I guess I could increase the wheel size and put on R14 tires maybe? But that means another expense.

I have never understood why FR has not just installed GY Endurance Tires on all of their trailers in the first place. They could easily make up the expense by charging just a bit more for their trailers, and with so many customers reading this forum, it would be a great selling point, I think. It's sad to think that when you buy a new trailer, you have to run out and buy brand new tires to replace the brand new tires that came with the trailer.
Bev4banff53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Unfortunately, there is no good data on which to base a risk vs price decision. Anecdotes about tire failures dominate because nobody is going to post that their "China Bombs" didn't blow up AGAIN.

RV manufacturers have raised the bar slightly - from what was truly a low bar - on what the minimum load capacity of the installed tires have to be. That alone has to have reduced the number of blow-outs with OEM tires - the reduced number that I am seeing in these posts since 2018. Also, speed ratings on trailer tires are now mostly 75+ instead of 65mph. I suspect, but can't prove, that there are some quality improvements to support the higher speed rating.

Fortunately, tires are a choice you and I can make. I can look at my situation, calculate that I have healthy reserve capacity on the tires, have a single axle trailer, store my trailer in the garage, and decide to take the risk that my Castle Rock tires will last the 5 years I intend to use them (they are at year 2.5).

You can assess your risk differently (tandem axles, exposed to more sunlight, less reserve capacity), and decide to replace the tires immediately. Isn't freedom grand?

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage tow vehicle
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Well said!
Bev4banff53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:26 PM   #35

I guess I'm lucky!

I have run all manner of brands called "China Bombs" and have not had ONE ISSUE. Now-what I suspect is my trailer is an Ultra Light coming in at 4,500 pounds DRY and probably about 500 pounds more than that ready to go.

So yes-the lighter weights probably have something to do with it.
cknsls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:32 PM   #36

Quote:
I have never understood why FR has not just installed GY Endurance Tires on all of their trailers in the first place. They could easily make up the expense by charging just a bit more for their trailers, and with so many customers reading this forum, it would be a great selling point, I think.
What you may not know is that the Endurance brand was brand new in the spring of 2016 I believe. They have gained their current reputation in about 5 years. It took some time to get popular... plenty of people said they would wait for others to be the Guinea pigs...

Then as little as last year there was a shortage of the brand as with COVID shortages and their popularity AND some manufacturers did adopt them as standard equipment making them even harder to get.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:38 PM   #37
RAR

I think FR finally got smart, my friend about 2 months ago got his new Ultra Lite and it came with the GY Endurance on it.
RAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:48 PM   #38

Quote:
Can anyone recommend another brand that might be better than the Castle Rocks in size R13? I guess I could increase the wheel size and put on R14 tires maybe?
I think that you have the right idea, to increase the tire diameter to14 inch... I did this too with a boat trailer I have had for 25 years... Back then all that was needed was 13 inch tires for the load on the trailer. But going forward 13 inch tires got harder to find, so I went to 14 inch tires on rims. Many places sell the entire wheel and tire combo. I think I used Tractor Supply for my wheels. By upping a wheel size you increase the load capability of the tire no matter what brand you get.

Now you do have to worry about clearance to the trailer frame. A one inch larger diameter tire will take up 1/2 inch clearance from top of tire to bottom of frame and may hit the frame in a pothole hit.

Finally make sure you get the same wheel lug pattern... fortunately those are pretty standard on trailer wheels.

Read this web page for more information...
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wheel-bolt-pattern.aspx

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:15 PM   #39

Jayco adopted them as standard equipment during the 2017 MY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
What you may not know is that the Endurance brand was brand new in the spring of 2016 I believe. They have gained their current reputation in about 5 years. It took some time to get popular... plenty of people said they would wait for others to be the Guinea pigs...

Then as little as last year there was a shortage of the brand as with COVID shortages and their popularity AND some manufacturers did adopt them as standard equipment making them even harder to get.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:36 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Do everyone a favor, file a report with the NHTSA. Best if you have all the info off the tire side wall including tire id numbers.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm
Yes, thank you. Everyone who has had issues with these tires should file with NHTSA. It really only takes a few minutes, just have your VIN handy and fill out the short online report form. Numbers of complaints matter!

Tags
tire