Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #1

Zerk bearing greasing warning

Just got the Lacrosse out of the shop. Took it in to have wheels packed and bearing and brakes checked. I usually do this but had to take it in this year due to a hernia. When wheels were pulled, it was discovered all the rear seals had blown and put grease soaked the shoes, magnets, and hubs, had no sign of rear seal leakage on tires or wheels, had no problem stopping, nothing seems abnormal.

I followed all written directions and all forum discussed instructions. I spun the wheel while slowly pumping grease until new grease appeared. The only direction/suggestion I did not do was to pull the wheels and check everything out. If you use the zerk bearing greasing method I thought why pull the wheel, just follow the directions. Not good.

Spent $1000 replacing and repairing, could of spent $180 removing and repacking. Could of had someone do it for me for about 5 years, would of been money well spent.

Just posting this to remind everyone doing their own bearing greasing, if using grease zerk and grease gun to be very careful, there is always that something is not working right that you cannot see. Imho I would and will forgo using the zerks and pull the wheels.

I know this issue has been addressed before, just a reminder

I now have new hubs, bearing, brakes, and magnets and also had new Maxxis 10 ply tires and I am ready to get on the road to somewhere in this great country of our as soon I get this dang hernia fixed next week.
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #2

Just posting this to remind everyone doing their own bearing greasing, if using grease zerk and grease gun to be very careful, there is always that something is not working right that you cannot see. Imho I would and will forgo using the zerks and pull the wheels.

X2... IMHO these are for "topping off" the bearings due to loss and movement of the grease. I think a couple three pumps would suffice for zerk adding of grease... plus you can't inspect or clean the bearings much less inspect/replace the seals by pumping in grease. Repack/clean inspect every couple years and all is good.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Moved from the towing forum.....this forum seems more appropriate.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #4

IMHO the only way to pack bearings is by pulling the hub no other way can you inspect the bearings.

Yes you will need new seals but it is still cheaper and better.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood Danny View Post
...as soon I get this dang hernia fixed next week.
Good luck on the hernia repair. Had 3 done at the same time. Be prepared for a visual shock the day after.