Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
Problem Solver

2007 36BHLE Frame Issues

I have a 2007 Cardinal 36BHLE that I bought new in 2008. Since then I have have 6 tire blow outs. After getting the damaged repaired from the last incident, the technician said that I had frame damage. I took it to a frame shop and they found that the axles are shifted over 6 inches to the right and the main frame rails are twisted. The initial estimate for repair is around $5000.

I had the trailer weighed and I am below the GVW of 15,500 lbs when loaded.

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with the frame twisting.
sugarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

That is a big camper.
Have you ever had a curb strike going around a corner?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:03 AM   #3

SIX INCHES???
Did I read that correctly?
That would mean your tires would have been sticking out on one side of the camper and sunk way in on the other?
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
SIX INCHES???
Did I read that correctly?
That would mean your tires would have been sticking out on one side of the camper and sunk way in on the other?
I read six blowouts, but wow.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Problem Solver

Frame Damage con't.

Yes, it is a very big fifth wheel at about 50 ft long and 13'6" tall and weighs in over !4,000 lbs loaded. It tows beautifully behind my 2010 3500 Dodge MegaCab truck with a pullrite hitch.

The tires are sticking way out on the door side. I have not hit any curbs at high speeds. I have gently rolled up and over curbs and other objects while turning and backing up. The frame shop said it was bad enigneering and would have happend sooner or later.

The trailer came with Loadstar tires and they are junk. I blew two on one trip and the other 4 on another trip. The tread just separated and exploded the tires. I bought 6 goodyear heavy duty trailer tires and have not had any problems yet.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:08 PM   #6

You may want to check this site out for your frame problem CARDINAL RV CLUB
After one blow out on my LoadStars I went and got goodyears what a difference in so many ways.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #7

Forest River has a serious problem with frames. I was broke down on the interstate yesterday for 7 hours with a broken bracket that holds the leaf springs to the frame. Found out I have at least 4 stress cracks on my frame. McGeorge RV, Forest River no Lippert would do anything about it yet. I have read post in other forums where this is a large issue. What is it gonig to take to get them to fix the problem? I have 9 more years to pay on my camper and it is a peice of junk.

TheLazyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #8

I also notice about 6 inches of side to side travel on my tires when I make turns. I guess I am stupid. I just thought it was supposed to do that until yesterday when the mechanic rocked the camper back and forth and let me watch the frame from underneath. Everything under there just rocked back and forth like a tree blowing in the wind, which is what caused the bracket to break.
TheLazyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #9

every time i see one of these, i go out and look at mine. as cardnal4fun said, there is a thread that shows a detailed, recommended repair for the cracks above the wheels. the twist, i haven't seen.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
Problem Solver

I got my camper fixed to the tune of $5000. They reinforced the frame rails where the tires mount and installed cross support rails between the axles to prevent the tires from shifting while turning. Went to the Lippert factory in Indiana and they said it was my fault and would not do anything about it.

2014 Dodge 3500 MegaCab w/ 6 spd auto and air ride suspension
Old 09-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbear View Post
I got my camper fixed to the tune of $5000. They reinforced the frame rails where the tires mount and installed cross support rails between the axles to prevent the tires from shifting while turning. Went to the Lippert factory in Indiana and they said it was my fault and would not do anything about it.

They did not happen to say what it was you did wrong did they?
Old 09-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
Problem Solver

Said I drove and turned too much. Told me it was not designed to be used in the same way a semi trailer is. I told them not all campgrounds are pull through and I have to back it down my driveway to store it. Since the frame shop fixed it, I can drag it around and back it up with no issues. I bought a fifth wheel because on the benefits of towing it.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

They said you BACKED it too much?
Incredible!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #14

i finally took mine in last week and had the cracks repaired. they padded 4 places on the frame along the rear axle. could not find any cracks on the front but put pads on one side anyway (my request). didn't pad the drivers side front because of the gas lines. installed cross braces between the 3 pair of spring hangers. whole repair was abt $930. work was done at a frame and trailer repair shop. time will tell if it holds up. work looks good and they followed lippert's guide lines.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #15
Dallas Texas

Pics?
Old 02-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #16
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
i finally took mine in last week and had the cracks repaired. they padded 4 places on the frame along the rear axle. could not find any cracks on the front but put pads on one side anyway (my request). didn't pad the drivers side front because of the gas lines. installed cross braces between the 3 pair of spring hangers. whole repair was abt $930. work was done at a frame and trailer repair shop. time will tell if it holds up. work looks good and they followed lippert's guide lines.
Lippert told me that they did not have guidelines for such a repair as there was no problem. I have not had any issues since the repair. I even raised my frame up three inches with steel blocks that made it tow better and gave me better clearance with my tires.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #17
2000 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbear View Post
Lippert told me that they did not have guidelines for such a repair as there was no problem. I have not had any issues since the repair. I even raised my frame up three inches with steel blocks that made it tow better and gave me better clearance with my tires.

Sorry....but Lippert passed the buck on you, and you may not be aware of it.'

Go to Lipperts home page, L.C. I, and search fifth wheels, and you want LIP SHEET number 0135...... it explains how to look for the issues, and how to repair them,..they have a WHOLE bunch or REAPIR facts, drawings, part numbers............... Etc, Lippert knows they have a frame issue, and you need to make a bunch of noise BEFORE you fix it your self, on your own dime.

For anyone else having triubles with Cardinal frames, Call TERRY at forest river, Cardinal division...and talk to him. He has been very helpful to our members who had issues.

Please Join us at " Cardinal rv club " , we have many members who have been helped, and some have posted the Lip sheets also.

Strength in numbers.
bfast54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #18

this is the sheet that bfast54 is talking abt:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0135-repairing-frame-cracks-in-axle-location.pdf (95.3 KB, 82 views)
Old 02-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #19
2000 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Jimh.....It sure is "interesting "....how many lipsheets, info, reapir procedures Lippert has ...For a " Problem that dosen't exist" isin't it ????
bfast54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #20

i agree. this isn't the same as mine. i have a subframe.
i'm trying to resize my pictures to post. the photos are rather uneventful.
lippert told me that i was too far out of warranty. did not call cardnal although the number was given on the cardinal forum.
i also didn't check the pfd that i posted to see if that was the clear version. Lippert emailed it to me.

just looked at it, it is the clear one but i believe there is still another out there with a different first picture.