Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 12:49 PM   #1

3 A/C good in this heat

Hi Everyone,

I purchased the 2016 3825FL in May. It came with 2 air conditioners. As part of the deal, the dealer installed a 3rd at no extra charge. So far, all 3 have been running very well in this heat. No blown breakers. I'm pretty sure one of them is on a separate feed. I think this weekend will be a bigger challenge with temps pushing a 100.

Stay cool.
Amerirver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:13 AM   #2

Congratulations on your new rig. We have the same model. Only two air units though.
We are currently in the Texas panhandle with daily temps ranging from high 90s to 105. Both airs running smoothly and keeping us at a steady 70 inside. Wasn't sure about the ducted air but seems to work well.
If we had gone with the estate with the black paint I think we would have needed the third air. Beautiful paint but I have to wonder if the designers spent any amount of time in a dark coach in full sun all day for weeks at a time.
Enjoy your rig. We love ours.
DW, 2 Spoiled Beagles IZZY and Pup Pup,
And Hillbilly Bob an American Bobtail Rescue Cat.
Seeing America one jobsite at a time..
Leonandpandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #3

Of you have a shoe rack in the front of your bedroom closet there are omly 6 screws holdimg it in take them out and take out the rack . If your Bird was like mine the only thing between you and the out side is a crapy piece of foil and the fiberglass nose. Buy some roll house insulation and fill it in . I used adhesive spray to hold ot on . Got the nose at R50 . Cheap fix and a big difference on hot a cold days
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:58 AM   #4

My 3850RL came with 3 A/C from the factory. Didnt think I would need the third, but now its nice to have.

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:59 PM   #5

When you add a 3rd AC is the ducting in the "Attic space" set up for a 3rd Air?
I see I have a 3rd AC controller and a plug cover on the ceiling, wondering what all it would take to add one?
I guess it all still works on 50 amps?

Just wondering
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 PM   #6

Yes, ducting is shared across entire ceiling with all three air conditioners. All 3 work great on 50 amps.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #7

Amerirver & Leonandpandora,

Thought I would bust into your thread and ask about your A/C units. Hope that's okay...

Are you running Dometic or AirXcell units? Are they 13,500 BTU or 15,000?

How would you rate the performance? Noise? Noise at startup?

We have a Trilogy 38FL with two units, and are considering the third. Want to make sure all the appropriate homework is done before we open up the bank account.

Thanks in advance for your candid thoughts.

God Bless,
David & Cathy

2015 Trilogy 38FL
2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW
Trailersaver TS-3 Hitch on B&W Platform
dwilhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #8

very interesting! we have a 2015 cardinal model 3825 also that came with two a/c's. as I understand from the thread it is possible to add a third a/c. apparently it will tie into the existing ceiling ducts and returns so that there would be no changes to the existing ceiling. is this correct? since this is an option does the trailer come prewired for the third a/c or do you have to snake electrical and thermostat wire through the walls up to the new unit? is the ceiling 'framed' to support this 3rd a/c? this might be something we would consider in the future as it does get a bit hot here?
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:14 AM   #9

On our two air unit we have a 15000 and a 13500 with heat strip dometic.
Where we are in the Tx Panhandle they have done pretty well. Yesterday it was 102 on our thermometer here.
The 13500 in the bedroom is a little noisy at startup and while running. The 15000 in the front is not. I think the one in the bedroom may need the mounting bolts tightened to quiet it down a little.
Thermostats set to 70 day and night. We do use the day night shades also to control heat infiltration during the day.
We are in full sun with no shade on a gravel pad. Previous unit had Coleman mach units and performed similarly in TX.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #10

The unit came with a Dometic 15k heat pump/AC and a low profile 13.5k. The dealer added another low profile 13.5k. All three are designed for ducted air flow. There are three thermostats, one for each a/c. It's been nice to be able to control where I want the cooling to be depending on what we are doing; sleeping, cooking, watching tv.

The noise level is fairly loud. After several months usage, I don't notice it that much. The really loud fan is when the furnace runs which is right next to the bed. Luckily, we haven't been using in the cold weather very often.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:21 AM   #11

According to my dealer the spot for the third air Is already wired and framed so no need to snake wires.
Our two seem to be keeping up so no need to open my wallet for the third. It is a nice option to be able to add it without much effort though.