Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2021, 07:23 PM   #1

Filling fresh water tank

So this is gonna sound dumb but how do I fill fresh water tank on 2017 3825FL?
I’m assuming turn control valves to dry camp and add water through city connection?
racindirt06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:39 PM   #2

Filling fresh water tank

The valve panel should show the proper position for filling. On our 18 Cardinal, hook the supply hose to the fresh water connection and before turning on the water, place the valves is this position. Turn the water on and await the overflow spitting when close to full. Do not leave it unattended.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9497.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	254049.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:58 AM   #3
"On the road again"

And the reason you don't want to leave it unattended - the water going in is at much more pressure than the ability to discharge it from the overflow line. There have been reports of people blowing up their fresh-water tank. I tend to always stop ours on our Cardinal about 2/3 to 3/4 full just to be safe.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:32 PM   #4

Water tank fill

Always use a regulator. I never had a problem with waiting for the overflows to drain. But that is a personal issue, it will siphon down to the overflow inlets anyway. Mine are about 1 1/2” below the top of the tank. So technically it s not full yet when they spurt water. The real danger is that these tanks are not supported. Mine almost fell out. I installed a bottom support, all is well now.
stepdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
And the reason you don't want to leave it unattended - the water going in is at much more pressure than the ability to discharge it from the overflow line. There have been reports of people blowing up their fresh-water tank. I tend to always stop ours on our Cardinal about 2/3 to 3/4 full just to be safe.
Robert,

This is actually untrue. The fill line is 1/2" to the fresh water tank. If you notice, there are 2 overflow tubes that are 1/2" each(at least there is on my 2017 3850RL). So while good that you pay attention to that, the design is such that it can exit faster than it can go in.

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:28 AM   #6

Just buy a $10 water flow meter from Amazon. You can track how much you're putting in. Fill tank just enough for what you'll use until you hook up to city water.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by racindirt06 View Post
So this is gonna sound dumb but how do I fill fresh water tank on 2017 3825FL?
I’m assuming turn control valves to dry camp and add water through city connection?
My wife and I are living full-time in a 2016 3825fl. We are learning all sorts of things about our RV. Maybe we should share the things we are learning as we go. You can offer me tips and I'll share what I'm learning.

We discovered the king-size bed is too large and we had to downsize to a queen in order to have room to get in and out of bed. We learned that our grey and galley tanks (40 +40 gallons) seemed to fill up too soon, until someone here explained that one of the tanks was dedicated to the washer you might have purchased and put in the rear closet. We don't have a washer and learned that if you just leave both tank handles pulled out in the open position, they will level off and hold 80 gallons vs. just 40 for the front tank.

I'm currently in the middle of putting Flex Seal on the bottom of all 5 slide-outs and using it to cover all the rusty gas line pipes and rusty I-beams.

I've got other issues that I often come here to ask others for help with. I hope you solve your problems as well. Maybe you could post a picture of your 3825. I've seen some with really nice paint jobs.
Wayfaring Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:31 PM   #8

We don't have a washer and learned that if you just leave both tank handles pulled out in the open position, they will level off and hold 80 gallons vs. just 40 for the front tank.

Ok, you got me, what do you mean, leave your handles out in the open position, would this not drain your grey water tanks?
Ali88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali88 View Post
We don't have a washer and learned that if you just leave both tank handles pulled out in the open position, they will level off and hold 80 gallons vs. just 40 for the front tank.

Ok, you got me, what do you mean, leave your handles out in the open position, would this not drain your grey water tanks?
You can add a third waste valve to the outlet:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	256424

Or just leave the cap on the outlet of the discharge connection.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali88 View Post

Navy LCDR explained what I have done. The 3825fl's have two grey tanks that feed into the main drain where the black tank also drains. Instead of keeping all three tanks closed. You just keep the black tank closed and the other two grey tanks open. If you keep that back grey tank closed, all of your shower water and sink water goes into just one 40 gallon tank. I suppose if you are at a campground, that doesn't matter since you can just pull the handle and dump it when it gets full. We are set up on private property with no place to dump our tanks. We have to utilize all three holding tanks and then transfer the contents using a method I learned about on You Tube, where we attach a macerating pump to the drain and pump the contents of the three tanks into a 100 gallon heavy duty bladder that is sitting in the bed of a truck. When it gets full, we close the valves and haul it to a local RV campground, where we pay $8 to dump it.

So in our situation, we need all 80 gallons of the two grey/galley tanks. With the rear grey tank lever closed, the front tank quickly fills. With both handles pulled out, and the optional waste valve closed to prevent anything draining, grey water will flow into the front tank and then drain out of it towards the main drain and then flow up the line to the rear grey tank. They will level off as they both fill.

When it is time to empty all three tanks, you close the two grey tanks, attach the accordion hose to the main drain, and open the gate valve and drain the black tank, followed by the two grey tanks. When finished, you close the gate valve, the black tank, and open the two grey tanks again.

In our situation, we do not use the accordion drain hose. Our 3825fl is staying put until September, and we don't own a truck to pull it to the RV campground. We ordered a 2022 Ford F-350 and do not expect it to arrive until October or November. Therefore, we use a method where we attach a macerating pump to the gate valve, attach 20 feet of one inch hose that connects from the pump to the 100 gallon bladder, that also has an additional 12 foot 1.5" hose coming out of a second valve used to drain the bladder at the RV campground. We just attach a long power cord to the two six volt batteries to power the pump, which has a hand-held remote.
Wayfaring Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:18 AM   #11

Thank you very much, I'm going out on Wednesday to buy a 3rd waste valve, not sure if we will need it but at least if gives us the option.
Ali88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank