Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #1

FR Cardinal

New to forum. Have a 2006 Cardinal 31LE with many problems, all which have been resolved under warranty. To list a few; Loose support in the roof which was fixed, every water pipe joint leaked which I tightened, bad propane regulator which was removed, and one bubble in the fiberglass siding , each side, which took repair at Elkart (we live in Wyoming) Here is the latest!

We spent the winter on South Padre Island TX; three months with the LR slider extended. When returning home, the hydraulic cylinder for the LR was leaking fluid. Close inspection revealed the slide cylinder shaft was completety corroded which caused the cylinder seal to leak. The unit is made by Lippert Corporation. After communication with dealer. FR, and Lippert, I am to believe that no one knows what is going on! Lippert says they have a five year warranty on the cylinder, But it is stated in their operating manual the shaft should be sprayed with silicone every seven days if extended in normal conditions or three days if exposed to salt conditions. Therefore they will not honor the warranty.

I do not have their manual, my dealer does not have their manual. and I think FR doesn't know anything about the entire problem. Anyone have an idea.
albetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:10 PM   #2

albetty,

Welcome to FRF.

Sorry to hear of your problems. The dealer should have known, and discussed the maintenance of the slide cylinder shaft with you. Unfortunately, most dealers(salesman) don't know or, are not schooled on this.

The salt air on South Padra Island will damage(corrode) a chromed cylinder shaft if not protected. A good coat of grease applied to the extended shaft will protect against all conditions.

Have you contacted Lippert yourself?
Maybe explain to them you were not told of the cylinder shaft maintenance by your selling dealer. They may make a concession.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:47 PM   #3

Lippert said they would not repair as the maintenance conditions stated in their manual were not followed. All is not lost 'cause I have an extended warranty and FR will cover the replacement. But what recourse would I have if the warranty had expired? Without the undistributed Lippert Manual how would anyone know the proper procedures. MY POINT IS, SOMEONE IN THE PRODUCT MAMUFACTURING CHAIN SHOULD HAVE THE RESPONSIBILITY TO INSURE THAT THE END CUSTOMER HAS ALL THE INFORMATION ON THE COMPLETE PACKAGE (FIFTH WHEEL).

BUT the fact remains that products are being sold without the customer knowing how to maintain the product in good working order.
albetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by albetty View Post
New to forum. Have a 2006 Cardinal 31LE with many problems, all which have been resolved under warranty. To list a few; Loose support in the roof which was fixed, every water pipe joint leaked which I tightened, bad propane regulator which was removed, and one bubble in the fiberglass siding , each side, which took repair at Elkart (we live in Wyoming) Here is the latest!

We spent the winter on South Padre Island TX; three months with the LR slider extended. When returning home, the hydraulic cylinder for the LR was leaking fluid. Close inspection revealed the slide cylinder shaft was completety corroded which caused the cylinder seal to leak. The unit is made by Lippert Corporation. After communication with dealer. FR, and Lippert, I am to believe that no one knows what is going on! Lippert says they have a five year warranty on the cylinder, But it is stated in their operating manual the shaft should be sprayed with silicone every seven days if extended in normal conditions or three days if exposed to salt conditions. Therefore they will not honor the warranty.

I do not have their manual, my dealer does not have their manual. and I think FR doesn't know anything about the entire problem. Anyone have an idea.
Here is a link to a Lippert Manal that might help. http://www.dutchmen-rv.com/scripts/p.../get.php?id=84

'07 GMC 2500HD Serria Classic SLT Allison/Duramax
'07 Cardinal 30TS 5th Wheel
ee4308 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardinal