Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2020, 08:37 PM   #1

Galley Grey tank

I’ve read the many topics on grey tanks For Cardinals and do not see any for my 2020 CL 388RDLE, as it is a new model this year. My questions: Is the “galley” Grey tank dedicated to the washer prep? I do not plan on having a washer, and if it is dedicated, is there a method or mod to enable us to use the Full capacity of The two grey tanks? Or, are they tied together via a high level pipe so that regardless of the source of grey water, they both fill up?
Curt Q24 Hitch

JoeDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:49 AM   #2

I have no idea about the washer prep, but you can easily answer your own question. If you shower and the galley tank comes up at the same time as the other gray water then they are connected I have never seen this. Or if you have separate dump valves for each tank they are not connected.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:20 AM   #3

I don’t know about your specific model. But I had the same questions about our model 3825 cardinal. The specs said 80 gallons gray water capacity. What they should have said was 40 gallons and another 40 gallons! It turns out we have a 40 gallon gray tank totally dedicated to the washer we do not have! So it is useless...unless...

Go look at your sewer connection. In our case we had one connection point for the black tank, gray tank 1, and gray tank 2. At the sewer connection you can see the drain pipes from the two gray tanks both coming into the common drain. If yours is the same you can buy an external twist on drain valve (valterra makes one). Twist it onto the sewer drain. Close the twist on valve and open the two gray tank valves. The gray water will the equalize across the two gray tanks and you will have what is in effect one 80 gallon gray tank.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDakar View Post
I’ve read the many topics on grey tanks For Cardinals and do not see any for my 2020 CL 388RDLE, as it is a new model this year. My questions: Is the “galley” Grey tank dedicated to the washer prep? I do not plan on having a washer, and if it is dedicated, is there a method or mod to enable us to use the Full capacity of The two grey tanks? Or, are they tied together via a high level pipe so that regardless of the source of grey water, they both fill up?
Before getting worked up, pour 5 gallons of clean water down your shower or bathroom sink, and find out where its going. Then do the same with the kitchen sink. You'll know quickly if you have a situation or not.

As for Chickdoe's situation, I was worried about that on mine as well. My bathroom sink/shower are plumbed to the gray tank, and kitchen tied to galley gray. I do have a washer/dryer, and it is plumbed to the bathroom gray tank. I just wonder in his situation if the guy doing the plumbing at the factory was having a bad day...

As for adding the valterra twist on valve at the end pipe, you probably want to do that anyway, because there is always "stuff" no matter how well you drain due to how far the valves are from the outside drain. If you do have the limitation on the gray tanks, then as mentioned you can equalize at that point. I just wouldnt drive with the entire drain pipe filled, as that might be 3-4 gallons of water, and the bouncing might damage that drain line.

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #5

Grey tanks resolved

I did run water into the kitchen sink & the Galley tank level went up. I then ran water into bathroom sink & shower and the Grey tank level increased. I also determined that the rear most grey dump valve drained the Galley & I will label accordingly. I still don’t know which tank the Washer will drain into as I don’t need to waste time running a short hose from the washer connection down into the drain for washer. I just needed to know if I have use of the full quantity of grey tanks & glad to know that I do! Thanks for your input.
Curt Q24 Hitch

JoeDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:28 PM   #6

Your washer connection should not affect the volume of gray water going into that tank .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank