Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2018, 09:29 PM   #1

Getting on Roof.

We bought a 2004 Cardinal 29RK 5th wheel this fall for our property. Does anyone know if there is a ladder extension to make it easier and safer to get on the roof? I was trying to get on the roof but the handles didn't extend high enough to be of any help.
ddmoyer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
Always Learning

Hmm, I've never heard of any. Usually I get up there and get onto the roof on my knees. I then carefully stand up.

(Truth is- I *HATE* being up there!)
Old 01-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

My 5th wheel has a ladder rack that comes to the rear bumper but I find it a bit rickety and straight up so standing my 10' step ladder up against the top rail of the factory ladder and then going up the step ladder makes it much easier to get up there. It also helps with the transition from ladder to roof cause the angle is better and not so straight.

As far as the 'handles', my factory ladder rack has nice high handles that go up over the roof line. Being 5'11" and 275 #, I need all the help I can get.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Hmm, I've never heard of any. Usually I get up there and get onto the roof on my knees. I then carefully stand up.

(Truth is- I *HATE* being up there!)
Thanks it was my first and only attempt. The ladder rings were wet and a little slippery. Not getting on my knees. I hate ladders anyway.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
My 5th wheel has a ladder rack that comes to the rear bumper but I find it a bit rickety and straight up so standing my 10' step ladder up against the top rail of the factory ladder and then going up the step ladder makes it much easier to get up there. It also helps with the transition from ladder to roof cause the angle is better and not so straight.

As far as the 'handles', my factory ladder rack has nice high handles that go up over the roof line. Being 5'11" and 275 #, I need all the help I can get.
Our ladder goes up and over but stil not high enough. Looking for a walk through extension. They have them for extension ladders. Might end up with extension ladder and extensions. Will have to wait till winter is over.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:49 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmoyer77 View Post
Our ladder goes up and over but stil not high enough. Looking for a walk through extension. They have them for extension ladders. Might end up with extension ladder and extensions. Will have to wait till winter is over.

That’s about your only option. I know various mobile RV techs have come to me with them in the past.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
That’s about your only option. I know various mobile RV techs have come to me with them in the past.
Looks like I will be making my own this spring. Thanks for the input. Hope good things come to all.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:39 PM   #8

I have been thinking about modifying mine, I would make it swing out and then add an extension on to the bottom, as well as build extensions that would go on the top and be removable, it wouldn't take up much space, I would add a small rack under the camper to store it since I don't get on top very much.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof