Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2022, 09:14 AM   #1

Kitchen sink and bath sink venting?

A friend of mine has a 2013 Cardinal fiver, (the model number escapes me at the moment, that has gray tank smell issues. He said the bad smell is worse under both sink cabinets. So I suggested he look at the air admittance valves. He cannot find any under the sinks and pipes seem to go into the wall. Apparently they run to a roof vent. Is this correct? And any ideas where he could be getting his bad smells from under his sinks? Thanks for any help.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 10:32 PM   #2

our Cardinal is a 2018 3250, there is one behind a removable panel under the kitchen sink. it can also be accessed by removing the partition wall inside the storage bay. I actually found it when I removed the electric power panel to install an onboard surge protecter.
wvcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 07:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcampers View Post
our Cardinal is a 2018 3250, there is one behind a removable panel under the kitchen sink. it can also be accessed by removing the partition wall inside the storage bay. I actually found it when I removed the electric power panel to install an onboard surge protecter.
Hey thanks. I'll tell him to start looking behind some panels under there. That's exactly why he asked me to post on here. To see if they could be hidden before he started removing panels. Thanks again.
Happy Camping!
Old 12-20-2022, 10:39 PM   #4

Just noticed you are about 30 miles from me. Sissonville here.
Old 12-21-2022, 04:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Just noticed you are about 30 miles from me. Sissonville here.
Hey wvcampers,
Sorry, just noticed your post. Glad to see a fellow West Virginian. The friend that has the Cardinal problem is actually around Staats Mills area. He is having to live in his fiver while trying to get a house built so the smelly situation is a big problem for him. Don't think the weather is going to be very conducive for him to work on it for a few days either.
Happy Camping!
Old 12-21-2022, 05:20 PM   #6

if there is no obvious vent under the sink then the vent should outside be on the roof

The interior type ..... one way air valves (vents) .... should be accessible for replacement not buried in walls

If NO interior vent
look to see if there is any obvious water stains from leakage

check for leaks ... fill sink up and then drain it looking to see if there is any leaks / drips as it empties.

use some baking soda in a box to help dry and deodorize under sinks

-------------------------------------------------------

if the RV has been unused for a long period ... the water in the P traps can evaporate enough to let nasty smells from the tanks into the RV
takes a while to get the smell out too

Open doors and cabinets and air out the RV ?
Old 12-21-2022, 06:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
if there is no obvious vent under the sink then the vent should outside be on the roof

The interior type ..... one way air valves (vents) .... should be accessible for replacement not buried in walls

If NO interior vent
look to see if there is any obvious water stains from leakage

check for leaks ... fill sink up and then drain it looking to see if there is any leaks / drips as it empties.

use some baking soda in a box to help dry and deodorize under sinks

-------------------------------------------------------

if the RV has been unused for a long period ... the water in the P traps can evaporate enough to let nasty smells from the tanks into the RV
takes a while to get the smell out too

Open doors and cabinets and air out the RV ?
Thanks for all the recommendations. I will pass them along to him. He has been using the camper for a while now so traps are good. He didn't see any leaks under sinks but will have him double check.
As mentioned in above post, he also told me that the same smell is real bad in the one outside storage bay. So we are wondering if maybe pipe, if going to the roof, is disconnected in the wall between the sink cabinet and storage bay. He will have to dig a little deeper. He is also going to have to get on that roof and see just what is venting up there. Thanks again.
Happy Camping!
Old 01-06-2023, 08:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz1 View Post
Hey wvcampers,
Sorry, just noticed your post. Glad to see a fellow West Virginian. The friend that has the Cardinal problem is actually around Staats Mills area. He is having to live in his fiver while trying to get a house built so the smelly situation is a big problem for him. Don't think the weather is going to be very conducive for him to work on it for a few days either.
Today is the first time I have been back on here. I hope your friend made it through the nasty cold spell we had. I am sure there will be a mechanical vent somewhere If his camper has the kitchen sink in an island. Mine is in a peninsula which is pretty much the same.
Old 01-12-2023, 04:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Today is the first time I have been back on here. I hope your friend made it through the nasty cold spell we had. I am sure there will be a mechanical vent somewhere If his camper has the kitchen sink in an island. Mine is in a peninsula which is pretty much the same.
Thanks for reply. Sorry I didn't see it before now. He has removed panel from compartment below, where the hot water tank is, and found leaks from a p-trap. Also the hot water tank had a small leak from inlet hose. He is hoping the the smell was coming from the p-trap leak. He is drying out and fixing those leaks and hopefully that will take care of the smell. We shall see. And yes, they made it thru cold spell fine.
Happy Camping!

Tags
sink, vent