Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2016, 12:07 AM   #1

Looking for some info on installing a generator.

New member here and looking for some ideas on installing a generator on our new Cardinal 3250RL, whenever it gets here, my first thoughts were (because I haven't seen it yet.) do I need to beef up the generator prep area?
Yes it is gen prep. but is the underside covered and can you get there and do some fab work.?
I am going to shoehorn in a Diesel Gen. with a custom fuel tank attachment.

Always like to here idea's.

Thanks
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #2

Well- no negatives so I'll take that as a positive, and I will let you know how it goes.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:11 PM   #3

I have six GC batteries next to my Onan 5500 lp gen, it should hold up fine!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:18 PM   #4

Also I believe the camper comes prepped for an Onan generator with a metal plate with pre punched holes for mounts and exhaust, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #5

Thanks for the response, I will find out I guess whenever it show's up if there are any mods required, I am just wondering if there is access under in case I need to get under to do something, I guess if so I will just have to put it back.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #6

I put tabs on a piece of 2 " tubing and ran it the width of the trl and bolted it into the bottom flange of frame. That floor will bow it is not very thick . The tubing is simple and effective.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #7

I would highly recommend sticking with an LP Generator. If it's in your budget go for the 6500 watt. Same size and foot print as the Onan 5500. Keep in mind that for ever 1000 feet of elevation a gem out put drops about 3%. So if in CO at say 6 or 8k feet you may see the diff in output. Burn rate is pretty close .8gal hr at half and 1.2gal hr at high rpm. They are both the Onan 7000 gas but burning LP. If you want anymore info let me know. Below is the Onan link

https://powersuite.cummins.com/PS5/P...ets/a-1426.pdf
Walking thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:32 AM   #8

Thanks for the input, whenever the 5th wheel gets here I will start on my Generator install and see how it goes from there, if all works out well I will share.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:45 PM   #9

Diesel gen is the way to go IMHO - especially if it is a low speed 1800 rpm... they are super quiet and will last forever. I have had the same thoughts for our next camper... go 5th and get gen prep, install diesel gen set and use 7.5 gal marine style fuel tank... keep two tanks and switch to fill the empty... there is almost no mechanical noise from those units... very fuel efficient too..

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
2020 F350 Powerstroke Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:54 PM   #10

Now I hear someone singing my tune.
maybe a quick disconnect marine fuel tank, with gauge.
maybe a fuel buddy in the back of the diesel truck
Old 04-22-2016, 08:58 PM   #11

Now I hear someone singing my tune.
maybe a quick disconnect marine fuel tank, with gauge.
maybe a fuel buddy in the back of the diesel truck.
Here is what I was trying to add to my post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel tank.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	105774   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel caddy.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	105775  
Old 04-22-2016, 10:48 PM   #12

Even though our new TV is a gasser, I would still do it... RPM is directly proportional to generator noise... Slow speed gens have drastically less valve noise, less cooling fan noise (even better if it is a liquid cooled genset), less vibration...

We met a couple in a real nice DP in Worthing State forest a few years back, it was like the first weekend of April. Deleware River was still in breakup and we were one of three occupied sites in the park... Wide open grassy area... Was out with the DW and DD's for a walk after dinner and stopped to say hello. Spent a half hour with them, and never realized that their genset was running... Only thing that gave it away was the crockpot of meatballs they were offering a taste of... This thing made my Honda 2k sound like a generiac...

Went back the following day to check it out further... It was a 8k Kubota liquid cooled diesel 1800rpm... Ran the whole coach with 2 ac no problem... Literally could not hear it from 20' with no other noises around.

Your idea of marine tank is same as I have been visualizing, but not sure about fuel buddy... I tried once to get one of those in the truck alone... No fun. I would be more apt to do two or three tanks and swap them when empty... Still gonna be 50lb each.
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #13

Yeah I am thinking of the fuel buddy just keeping it laying down in the truck in some manner re-fueling when I do the truck. and just re-fueling the tanks and having some for the TV if needed.
When ever our camper gets here I will see more about the install.
Looking forward to the process, and moving on down the road.

Tags
generator