Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2014, 12:53 PM   #1

metal tire valve stems

Purchased a TPMS for our cardinal 3550rl, I want to replace the tire valve stems with metal stems. Has anyone done this change out , what did you buy, and where?
Gee Whiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:57 PM   #2

When I went to 'E' rated tires I had the metal stems installed at the same time at Americas Tire Store. Be careful what you ask for if you go this route they have their 'high pressure stems' which are rubber not metal, make sure you ask for solid metal stems. I made this mistake but was on site during install and had them change the rubber ones back out to solid metal.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I got a TPMS, went from C rate to D rated. I just bought generic metal stems from NAPA. They work fine.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:42 PM   #4

Is there any specific brand of TPMS or is that it?
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:37 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
Purchased a TPMS for our cardinal 3550rl, I want to replace the tire valve stems with metal stems. Has anyone done this change out , what did you buy, and where?
It kind of depends on your actual wheels as to what clamp-in metal stem you may need.

Typically, a TR416 clamp-in metal stem will suffice, and many tire stores will carry it..........or you can purchase them at automotive stores and take them with you to a tire store to be sure.

Most TR416 will come with two rubber grommets, so they can be used in wheels with either a .453 valve stem diameter hole...... or a .625 valve stem diameter hole.

You ONLY use the rubber grommet that fits your hole size (typically the .453) and throw the other grommet away. I stress this point because I have seen many cases of untrained tire personnel who are unfamiliar with these type of stems, try to use the grommets on the inside and the other grommet on the outside of the wheel stem hole. It leaks big time when they try to do this.

You only use the right size grommet, which is placed at the very bottom of the stem (small lip facing the top of stem). The grommet goes inside the wheel, then the washer and nut go on the outside of the wheel, tightened down enough to seal the rubber grommet coming from inside the wheel. (don't overtighten as the stem can cut the grommet if too much force is exerted)

I explain all of this, so you can make sure it is done correctly, as you need to watch the install. Like said, I have seen and read too many stories of tire guys who don't know what they are doing with these stems.

Here is an ebay link to a TR416 so you can see a pic of them.

4 TR416 1 1 2" Chrome Bolt in Tire Valve Stem TR 416 | eBay

--------------------------------------------

Now, you may possibly have a wheel (aluminum) that the valve stem hole is actually too close to the wheel flange, so as the outside washer/nut on a TR416 cannot lie flat and have room to tighten.

If this is your case, you may need what is called a TR428 (I think is the part #). This clamp-in style stem has an extended nut, that is also smaller diameter...that let's you tighten it when used on wheels that have the valve stem hole close to the outer rim flange.

Most tire stores are not going to carry this TR428, and it would be in your best interest to purchase them beforehand and take them with you. Here is a listing for it at O'Reilly Auto Parts....so you can see it.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...q=17-428&pos=0

I know that Dave_Monica uses this type on his RV, so he might can help if he reads this.

Hope this helps and I haven't bored you to death.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:21 AM   #6

Wmtire,I had to use (Honda) threaded stems when I put (Internal)TPMS on one of my trailers. I had to make special spacers to go between the outer nut and the R/V wheels,the R/V wheels were Co-bored deeper than the Honda wheels? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Wmtire,I had to use (Honda) threaded stems when I put (Internal)TPMS on one of my trailers. I had to make special spacers to go between the outer nut and the R/V wheels,the R/V wheels were Co-bored deeper than the Honda wheels? Youroo!!
That's good to know Youroo.

I assumed the OP was referring to external TPMS sensors that screw on to the end of the valve stem.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire