Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #1

New Cardinal

We've been looking at new fiver for the last several months. We have a 2008 Cardinal and it's been a good rig. Is it just me the new Cardinal's doesn't appear to be the same quality as the one we have. For one thing we have all oak trim with lot's detail. The new rigs are hardwood, not sure what kind, but stained to cover up the wood and far less detail. Workmanship doesn't appear to be as good as ours. They also are making them bigger, not what we are looking for. I want something that I can use my present 3/4 ton diesel and do not want a bigger truck. Also far fewer dealers handling Cardinals. Maybe we will just remodel what we have. Also when I write to get some infomation on what's new, I don't hear anything back from them.
Reese 18K hitch - Garmin 1690 GPS
2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Long Box, Smartair
Nights camped in 2011: 120
Traveler II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:44 AM   #2

Traveler II
Everything you have said is true. They are bigger and less detail and cost more. Almost sounds like you are talking yourself into keeping your present 5th wheel. If your rig is still solid and no roof leaks etc I'd say keep it and invest a few bucks to make it better. What ideas did yo have to remodel? It is only 2008.

New tires
New Brakes
Roof re-sealed
Maybe a new mattress
A better flat screen TV
Central vacume system
Install an electric fireplace if you have room

What else could you be thinking?

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #3

We would replace the furniture and get something more comfortable. We have a new pillow-top mattress. I would put disks brakes on. We would re-carpet, or maybe replace the carpeting with a solid floor and just use rugs. This small area the carpet wears fast. Our slides need some work, they go in and out but jump around in the process, and I think it’s time to replace the seals. When it gets warm the caulk from the factory ozoos out sticks to the rubber gaskets and pulls them out. When this happens, we can’t put the slides back in. For 4 years I’m cleaned them off and put tape over the area but I still need to re-work the seals. The one thing we don’t like and I’m not sure there is anything we can do is the toilet area is real small, in fact you need to set sideways, and we’re not big people. I would have all the natural oak trim re-finished. I would add some type of rock protection to the front. We would add a second flat screen to the bedroom.
We’re getting lots of rust underneath, on the frame and suspension system, over the years I’ve cleaned it off and re-finished with rust proof paint, but that area needs some work.

We like Cardinal, the company has been great to work with in the past. If we had a question they would get right back to us. Because of their customer service is the reason we were looking at new Cardinals, but as I said before I like what we have compared to the new models. We are also looking at different companies. At this time we like the Carriage Cameo.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #4

Well after what you said I'd consider trading it in on a new one. The prices should be dropping as many dealers can't get them sold. I'd go and test the waters and see what's out there that fits your needs.
You really know what you want and need. Go for it!

Here is a link to NADA.com and you need to checkoff what you have on your trailer and then see what the trade-in value is. I just checked and was very surprised at your value and I didn't add any options.
Check out the LINK.
NADA.com
Old 03-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #5

Not sure what this means on a trade but here is what our rig comes in at:

Suggested List Price Low Retail Average Retail
Base Price $52,260 $29,270 $35,260

I did see one at a dealer the next model down from us that the dealer was asking $39,000.

I would think that I should get somewhere between $25,000 and $29,000 in on trade. Now what to see what discount I can get off a new one. I don't think I want to sell it ourselfs, our motorhome took me over a year to sell it and that was when the market was in better shape than it's now.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler II View Post
Not sure what this means on a trade but here is what our rig comes in at:

Suggested List Price Low Retail Average Retail
Base Price $52,260 $29,270 $35,260

I did see one at a dealer the next model down from us that the dealer was asking $39,000.

I would think that I should get somewhere between $25,000 and $29,000 in on trade. Now what to see what discount I can get off a new one. I don't think I want to sell it ourselfs, our motorhome took me over a year to sell it and that was when the market was in better shape than it's now.
Thanks for the help.
This should give you a basic idea what you can do in todays market.
My 2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 30ft 5th (2 slides) listed for over $38,400
and I get them down to $31,310 out the door. That included Lic, tax and no trade-in

As per NADA low book is $34,000 and high is $36,000 so I feel I made a good deal.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #7

Im looking at buying my first 5th wheel, which will be a new cardinal. Are these 5th wheels any good? Im just asking because this is my first one and I don't want to end up being miserable later on.
atkingswat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkingswat View Post
Im looking at buying my first 5th wheel, which will be a new cardinal. Are these 5th wheels any good? Im just asking because this is my first one and I don't want to end up being miserable later on.
Please repost this question in a new thread. It is a diversion of the original post.
Thanks
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #9

i wouldn't buy another. i discovered the frames aren't very well made. after a few years they fall apart and i found some other disturbing manufacturing problems. i'll be looking at a luxury KZ model or mobile suites type of 5th wheel. the quality just isn't there.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #10

Our 2008 has been a good rig, we use it a lot, have about 50,000 miles on it and the frame and the main parts of the rig are good. I just don't feel the quality is as good for the new units. We are just about ready to place an order for a Cameo. They do cost more money than the Cardinal and we like it, but for the money we've really liked our Cardinal and especially the service we've had from the factory.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #11

It was back and forth, (Cardinal vs. Cameo) but we place an order for a new Carriage Cameo. We should have it by June. We will miss our Cardinal---it's been good to us. We did looks at the new Cardinal and like I said before I think the quality of our 2008 Cardinal is better than the new models.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #12

I have a 2010 Cardinal and shopped a lot. I disagree with your evaluation of lessor quality in new Cardinals, ours seems well built and appointed. I believe it is equal to or better than the so called industry leader Montana and others in the same price range. As for frames, just about all manufacturers get them from the same supplier, so if one manufacturer has bad frames, then so are the others.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #13

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Carriage Cameo.................Way better rig than the Cardinal could ever be!! Cameo is in a next class way up !! Been to there factory (Carriage)..all I can say is WOW. You pay for what you get !! Nice !! Have Fun and enjoy !!
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
Carriage Cameo.................Way better rig than the Cardinal could ever be!! Cameo is in a next class way up !! Been to there factory (Carriage)..all I can say is WOW. You pay for what you get !! Nice !! Have Fun and enjoy !!
Thanks BigRed, like I said we're going to miss our Cardinal, and the people at Cardinal have been great to work with. For that reason we looked and looked at both the Cardinal and a number of different companies. As far as the Montana is concerned I believe that the Cardinal is a better rig, but you are right when we looked at the Carriage Cameo it was hard to compare. They make there own frames to meet the needs of their line and what I can see the quality is outstanding.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #15

I too am about to purchase a new Cardinal 3515 fully loaded but I am disturbed about all of the negative remarks. Please, someone tell me if I'm making a mistake before I spend the money.
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #16

We have a 2010 Cardinal 3625 XL purchased in mid 2009. We are extremely pleased with the comfort, appointments, stability and quality. We do like the 36 foot Allegra Bus.

Big Bird
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:00 AM   #17

Thanks for your remarks. It makes me feel better.
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #18

The 2013 cardinal has great quality, especially if you have been use to living in a mud hut in the amazon rain season.
That way when it comes to repairs, and you will need to preform many, you could just use a bucket of mud to patch it up.
CARD3550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #19

some of the earlier frames (mine was one of them) developed cracks in the frame behind the tires. believe i have read abt the problem up to 2004 or so. the repair can be done at ur expense for abt $1000. they grind out the cracks, re-weld then install cross braces between the spring supports.
mine didn't show up until a year and a half ago.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #20

I was looking at a 2013 Cardinal at my local dealer. My son in law and I went to the RV show in Green Bay. and the one I was looking at was there so i asked him to go in and check it out. when he came out his first remark was that it felt cold and uninviting unlike my 2003 33CKTS.

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote