Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #1

New Cardinal Owner Question

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I just bought a new 3850RL. Evidently, the frig only runs on electrical power using the inverter and does not switch to propane when the trailer is unplugged as my previous units have. I wonder how long the battery will last without an external power source and whether or not it would be advisable to add a second battery?
bb42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #2

Do you have a residential fridge? You may want to post this up in the motorhome section, most newer ones have the RR with larger inverter installed. Mine still has the old propane type.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 08-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Yes it has a residential refrigerator. I can post this in the motorhome section but the motorhomes I've seen have bigger, heavier duty batteries. My Cardinal came with a single deep cell battery.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #4

I am not familiar with your set up, but in general, an extra battery hooked in tandem will give you longer run times.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 08-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #5

Unless you are dry camping, the single battery will do just fine. We have the 3800FL with the same set up and have traveled all over the US and never had a problem with running off the inverter. You will be running off the charge circuit from your tow vehicle while on the road through the inverter. Once you get parked then you will switch back to A/C power. The only time you will be running just off the trailer battery is when your tow vehicle is not running and you are not plugged into camp power. Never had a problem even during hot summer days while traveling. These new residential units use very little power once they have cooled down.
georgew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #6

Thank you. About the only time we will ever be dry camping would be just an overnight stopover. Doesn't sound like that will be an issue. I appreciate the into.

Tags
cardinal