Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #1

Newbie Fifth Wheeler needs to buy a fifth wheel hitch-any suggestions?

I just purchased a used 2002 F.R. Cardinal 33TS and a 1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 High Sierra Pickup. I had the fifth wheel delivered to the park I wanted to reside in before I bought a truck.
Now I have the truck and I wanted to know if anyone out there may have a similar fifth wheel and "what fifth wheel hitch they use and/or recommend for me to have mounted".

Thank you in advance ! !
Troy
a12string71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:54 AM   #2

there are many different hitches out there for you to choose from

The Reese style has rails permenantly mounted to the bed of the truck. This is the most common as it is the least expensive. Of these there are variations as to the actuation of the hitch, tilting front to back and some side to side. You also need to take into account the GVWR of your trailer as well to make sure you get one that is "strong" enough for what you are towing.

Short-bed trucks like a "slider" hitch although not required it is required if you need to jack-knife your rig to get it into tight spots.

There is a myrid of hitches out there and varying prices and options. Shop around and pick one that is safe and withen budget. If you have a hitch shop nearby go and visit with them and look at your options.

My hitch is a 16k reese that articulates front to back as well as left and right. I have found the left/right articulation to be espicially helpfull in some parking situations. My father's hitch does not articulate like that and some hitchings unhitchings are a PITA.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
33', cardinal, fifth wheel, hitch