Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2019, 06:52 AM   #1

No ceiling lights in the slideouts work

We have a 2018 Cardinal 3350 and last weekend while camping I noticed the light over the stove was not working. It had worked the day before. The following morning checked the push lights over the bed and they also were not working. After arriving home again I checked all ceiling lights in all three slide-outs, none of them are working. So far I checked all lights, they all light with a different 12 volt source, all switches have continuity when turned on, all fuses were checked, they are OK, all lights have continuity with a ground wire from the battery. Checked wiring under the 2 living room slide-outs, did not see any loose wires or anything that appeared to be damaged. I called my dealer and also Forest River service department, neither had much info to help. Any suggestions what may be wrong? . Thank you.
gmeldevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #2
Site Team

It sounds like all the lights are fed from the same source (fuse)? Is that correct as far as you know?

Can you explain this sentence better? "all lights have continuity with a ground wire from the battery." Are you saying that the ground is good from all of them? Or that they all work if you hook a battery ground wire to them?
Old 09-16-2019, 10:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
It sounds like all the lights are fed from the same source (fuse)? Is that correct as far as you know?

Can you explain this sentence better? "all lights have continuity with a ground wire from the battery." Are you saying that the ground is good from all of them? Or that they all work if you hook a battery ground wire to them?
The ground is good to all the lights. They must be all on 1 circuit or source. Still thinking a fuse that I haven’t located yet. Thanks for responding
Old 09-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #4
Site Team

That fuse is normally in the power panel, but you never know.
Do you have a fuse that is labeled anything remotely close to what may be construed as slide lights, etc.?

When you checked the fuses, did you test them with a meter or just visually inspect them?
Old 09-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
CGK
Camping with Labs

There's not a lot of information available, so as long as we're all guessing, how about a 12 volt breaker? Seems unlikely only slide lights would be involved, but it would potentially affect multiple 12 volt devices. The wires running up our slide out appear to be somewhat vulnerable - and if all yours are on the same circuit, as appears to be the case, perhaps you should check each of the slide out wires to be sure none (not just those under the living room, unless those are the first in the circuit) are damaged. Very frustrating.....but good luck in finding the culprit.
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #6

A couple more questions since you dont mention specifically:
1. Is there ANY 12V items working?
- most ceiling lighting is 12V throughout.
2. when you notice this, is the trailer plugged in to shore power?
3. Is your battery disconnect key turned off (i.e. can be removed)?
- if yes, and not plugged in, then not much 12V will work (as intended).

Pretty much all the 12V circuits all have a common ground. Its the + side that is fused into different circuits. Might check the 12V lead that feeds the 12V fuse panel.

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #7

This may be a stupid question but, there are switches on the wall for the lights and you've check those. Are there switches on the lights themselves that can also turn the lights on and off ?? Only reason I ask is my lights work two ways and sometimes people have shut them off at the light itself and I always have a certain few set up that they come on at the wall switch right inside the door. Couple times I thought I lost lights only to find out someone pushed the button on the light and it wouldn't come on when I hit the wall switch.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #8

Another idea... The bulbs can be bad(even if LED). The 921 bulb on my range hood lasted about 2 trips. Put in an LED replacement and still working.

In my old life... with incandescent bulbs a serge can burn bulbs. Both headlights or tail lights at the same time. Boost a car or mess with battery connections... or something similar. Can just happen on it's own. I am NOT sure about LEDs, but I assume they are more sensitive to surges than incandescent bulbs?? Idunno. Cheap check.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #9
Cardinal Customer Service

No ceiling lights in the slide out

Good afternoon! I would be happy to help you with this issue. If you would contact me on my direct line at (574) 367-3312 or via email at acarpenter@forestriverinc.com with the last 7 digits of your VIN, I could get you a wiring diagram.
Anita Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Carpenter View Post
Good afternoon! I would be happy to help you with this issue. If you would contact me on my direct line at (574) 367-3312 or via email at acarpenter@forestriverinc.com with the last 7 digits of your VIN, I could get you a wiring diagram.
Well, hello Anita, and welcome aboard!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:07 PM   #11
Cardinal Customer Service

Thank you CedarCreekWoody! I am happy to be here to answer any questions you all might have. I noticed that my signature does not reflect that I work for the Cardinal division of Forest River. I edited my profile. And, hopefully, this post will reflect that. But I will do my best to answer any questions sent my way. Safe travels!!
Anita Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #12

Anita, you will be a hit with the Cardinal community. Now if only you have a sister over in the Wildwood division...
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #13

Quote:
That fuse is normally in the power panel, but you never know.
Do you have a fuse that is labeled anything remotely close to what may be construed as slide lights, etc.?

When you checked the fuses, did you test them with a meter or just visually inspect them?

Checked fuses with multimeter, did not find a fuse labeled for slide-out lights in the power panel. Thanks
Old 09-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
There's not a lot of information available, so as long as we're all guessing, how about a 12 volt breaker? Seems unlikely only slide lights would be involved, but it would potentially affect multiple 12 volt devices. The wires running up our slide out appear to be somewhat vulnerable - and if all yours are on the same circuit, as appears to be the case, perhaps you should check each of the slide out wires to be sure none (not just those under the living room, unless those are the first in the circuit) are damaged. Very frustrating.....but good luck in finding the culprit.

We have 3 slide-outs, I did check all wires except ones under bedroom slide, they appear to be fine. All other 12 volt lights and all accessories are working. Thanks
Old 09-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by djousma View Post
A couple more questions since you dont mention specifically:
1. Is there ANY 12V items working?
- most ceiling lighting is 12V throughout.
2. when you notice this, is the trailer plugged in to shore power?
3. Is your battery disconnect key turned off (i.e. can be removed)?
- if yes, and not plugged in, then not much 12V will work (as intended).

Pretty much all the 12V circuits all have a common ground. Its the + side that is fused into different circuits. Might check the 12V lead that feeds the 12V fuse panel.

All 12 volt lights and accessories are working except the ceiling lights in the slide-outs. These light are not working while on shore power or when plugged in. Battery disconnect is on. Thanks
Old 09-16-2019, 03:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
This may be a stupid question but, there are switches on the wall for the lights and you've check those. Are there switches on the lights themselves that can also turn the lights on and off ?? Only reason I ask is my lights work two ways and sometimes people have shut them off at the light itself and I always have a certain few set up that they come on at the wall switch right inside the door. Couple times I thought I lost lights only to find out someone pushed the button on the light and it wouldn't come on when I hit the wall switch.

Checked switches with a multimeter, they are located on the walls, they all tested fine. Thanks
Old 09-16-2019, 03:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Another idea... The bulbs can be bad(even if LED). The 921 bulb on my range hood lasted about 2 trips. Put in an LED replacement and still working.

In my old life... with incandescent bulbs a serge can burn bulbs. Both headlights or tail lights at the same time. Boost a car or mess with battery connections... or something similar. Can just happen on it's own. I am NOT sure about LEDs, but I assume they are more sensitive to surges than incandescent bulbs?? Idunno. Cheap check.

The led bulbs all tested fine with a different 12 volt power source. Thanks
Old 09-16-2019, 03:47 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Carpenter View Post
This is a great offer. I think your best bet is to take her up on it and once you have a wiring diagram you can trace the problem. It's likely going to be a wire between the fuse panel and the first light in the circuit.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:39 PM   #19

Yes, and...

Quote:
This is a great offer. I think your best bet is to take her up on it and once you have a wiring diagram you can trace the problem. It's likely going to be a wire between the fuse panel and the first light in the circuit.
Yes, and the people that wire these things are rational beings. You can expect that they will have wired from the distribution panel (fuse panel) to the nearest slide, then next nearest, then furthest. If the panel is between slides, then they will have branched right at the panel and gone both ways. That will give you a clue as to where the wires are physically located.

If you remove the external cover from the distribution panel, you can see where each wire(s) connects to its fuse. Check that each terminal is tight. Then use your multimeter to see that there is 12 volts on each terminal.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeldevik View Post
Checked switches with a multimeter, they are located on the walls, they all tested fine. Thanks
Did you look for small switches on the lights themselves ?
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, slide