Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 07:05 AM   #1
"On the road again"

Rear Camera

Our new Cardinal 3456RL came "pre-wired" for a backup/observation camera. Can someone tell me a couple of things about that?

1) What exactly does that mean? Is there a specific camera that must be used to plug into it? Should it be a wireless or since it is "pre-wired" does it need to be a wired camera?
2) If it's wired - how do we get the signal from the trailer to the cab of the truck? Is it transmitted wirelessly or via the seven-way plug? Does it show up on our Ford Super Duty's display or do we need a monitor? Does the monitor come with the camera?

Sorry for my ignorance - I've had RVs for 16 years but this one has me baffled and really nobody was sure how it worked during our PDI and walk-thru.

Robert
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
Our new Cardinal 3456RL came "pre-wired" for a backup/observation camera. Can someone tell me a couple of things about that?

1) What exactly does that mean? Is there a specific camera that must be used to plug into it? Should it be a wireless or since it is "pre-wired" does it need to be a wired camera?
2) If it's wired - how do we get the signal from the trailer to the cab of the truck? Is it transmitted wirelessly or via the seven-way plug? Does it show up on our Ford Super Duty's display or do we need a monitor? Does the monitor come with the camera?

Sorry for my ignorance - I've had RVs for 16 years but this one has me baffled and really nobody was sure how it worked during our PDI and walk-thru.
#1 Yes. Its a specific camera, Namely the Furrion. it comes in two flavors, the "Backup camera" which is cheaper and the "Observation camera" which costs a little more but is well worth it.

#2 By 'pre-wired' they mean there is a mount installed with a power connector to the camera. The signal to the monitor is wireless. The observation camera has a more powerful transmitter, hence the higher cost. It does not show up on the stock Ford monitor.

You can buy the Furrion camera and monitor as a kit. I got mine from amazon, and it's funny, but the camera/monitor/mount kit is cheaper than just the camera and monitor without the mount. go figure...

The monitor comes with a nice suction cup mount and plugs into a cigarette lighter. Installation of the whole unit took about 10 minutes. It is simply removing 4 teeny-tiny screws holding a blank plate on the camera mount, plugging in the power cable, and installing the camera in the mount with the 4 teeny-tiny screws. Then you go to the cab, mount the monitor where ever you please, and plug it in.

To me, it was WELL worth the $$$ to have this thing. Not so much for backing (but that helps too) but just for keeping an eye on what's behind you and how close it is.

FYI: The camera only gets power when you have your running lights on.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:06 AM   #3
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
To me, it was WELL worth the $$$ to have this thing. Not so much for backing (but that helps too) but just for keeping an eye on what's behind you and how close it is.

FYI: The camera only gets power when you have your running lights on.

Tim
Thanks for this and all the other info you provided. I do appreciate it. Our new trailer is 42 feet long - the wireless will transmit that far?

Headed to Amazon Prime right now.

Robert

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for this and all the other info you provided. I do appreciate it. Our new trailer is 42 feet long - the wireless will transmit that far?

Robert
The "48 Model" will transmit that far! Good clean Pic as well! Furrion FOS48TAPK! Youroo!!
Old 05-23-2017, 08:04 AM   #5
Broken Toe

Quote:

Robert
When I installed mine, I had jumpered on the lights to get the camera to turn on so I could set the camera angle (it's adjustable). The truck was not hooked up, and I decided to run to the gas station near the house for an iced tea. I was surprised to find that could go as far as 2 streets over, a good 600 or so feet from the camper, and still get a signal.

42 feet will be a cake walk for it

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 05-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #6

Quote:

Robert
The pre-wire is set up for your backup circuit. Which means it will only come on when you put it in reverse. If you move the camera hot lead from the backup circuit and onto the running lights, the camera can operate all the time by turning on lights. This way you can see behind you when traveling. It useful when changing lanes, etc.
lesterw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:56 PM   #7
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterw View Post
The pre-wire is set up for your backup circuit. Which means it will only come on when you put it in reverse. If you move the camera hot lead from the backup circuit and onto the running lights, the camera can operate all the time by turning on lights. This way you can see behind you when traveling. It useful when changing lanes, etc.

Not sure how the Cardinals do it, but every trailer I have seen out of FR so far has the power coming off the running lights, not the backup lights.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 05-24-2017, 12:58 PM   #8

I can only speak for mine. As it is a backup camera, mine came on when in reverse.
lesterw is offline   Reply With Quote