Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #1

Technical Questions - 31 BHLE 5TH/96 POWERSTROKE

Hello All!
New to the forum - quick couple of questions for the "pros" out there:
A) I have 50 amp power, is my 2005 31BHLE wired for a 2nd AC? If so, can the common sensed, mechanically inclined do the install or should I have a RV service guy do it?

B) Has anyone out there with a similiar model tow truck like mine (the original "Iron Horse" - 1996 F-250 7.3L Powerstroke) ever upgraded in anyway the "weak link" for this truck...the E4OD auto tranny? I know the Diesel Mag advertises an outfit in Arizona who will beef up this trans...but need some input from anyone who has already been there, done that! If I had the time and people to do it and in a perfect world I would mate up one of these new Allison 6-speeds to my Cast Iron Bad Boy...I would be in heaven real quick! Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Elkmeister77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

If you have a 50 amp set-up, most likely you have the wiring for a 2nd AC Unit. It's probably not visible in the electrical panel but should be behind it so it can be fed through a romex connector to the breaker. Turn your power off and remove the panel and see if it's there. As for having an AC installed, might be best to leave it to someone that's familiar with doing it. You don't want to cut a hole in the wrong place and then possibly have a water leak problem.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #3

my 2002 cardinal came wired for second ac. breaker was in the panel.
i installed a heat pump in the forward slot. i had to box in the area in the ceiling to keep it from sucking hot air. the only thing was getting the 200 lb unit on top. i needed help for that. the rest was straight fdw. the instructions that came with the unit were clear. having to box in the addict hole area was the only surprise. even for me, being carpentry challenged, that wasn't a problem.
i have a 7.3 but it is a 2002 350. the trans isn't the same as the E40D found in a 92. it physically looks the same but the filter has the long shaft like the one in the E40D 4 wheel dr model.
as far as beefing up the trans, i have no opinion. i do have an opinion on changing the program on the 7.3; there is enough torque as is. it will shorten ur engine life. Ford at one time had no problem with program changes but they do now. i didn't do it because i did not want to add torque to the transmission.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote