Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2015, 06:50 AM   #1

Exclamation Two 2015 Cardinal 3825 FL 5th Wheels with leaking slides

My husband and I just purchased a brand new 2015 Cardinal 5th Wheel model 3825FL. This is the second unit we took possession of, as we discovered a serious leak inside the front of the forward living slide during a walk-thru of the original unit we has purchased, mere minutes after the contract was signed.

It just so happened that while we were inside completing the paperwork of sale, it was raining outside. I asked the sales rep if I could go inside the Cardinal one more time before we left, as I was so excited that it was actually ours!!!!!!! OMG! The forward facing living room floor was so soaked that there were actual pools of water along both tracks of the right side slide.

The dealership said it was a structural defect and that the unit was sent back to Forest River. It took about a week, but they were able to locate another unit for us and we took delivery of it on August 8th. WELL GUESS WHAT? Unit #2 has the same exact issue!!!!!!!! I am off to Lowes Home Improvement store to buy a dehumidifier in hopes that I can save the flooring, but I am distraught.

Not sure if anyone has been paying attention to the weather in the south over the past 4 days, but here in the foothills of North Carolina it's been raining for the entire time. Well, wouldn't you know, yesterday morning we woke up and went into the living room and at the front of the unit the entire floor is soaking wet!!!!!!!!! I am sick to my stomach.

This unit listed for $104,000.00! We have gotten NO SUPPORT from Carolina Coach and Marine, and now my husband has no option, but to contact Forest River directly.

Has anyone else suffered our same fate with this year/model? As this is our full-time home, I am terrified of what lies ahead.

If anyone can offer suggestions on who at Forest River we can contact, I would be most appreciative.

Thank you so much,
Uptowncivilian aka Janet Fox
uptowncivilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:58 AM   #2

Here is just my advice: water will KILL YOU RV ENJOYMENT EXPERIENCE; get it corrected now!!

1. CALL the FR factory number and get contact info for YOUR BRAND, WARRANTY MANAGER. Then, call that person and then document your call with an e mail summary.
2. Explain your findings in as much detail as you can. Do not dawdle on previous unit, it's gone.
3. Explain your URGENCY, right now, and where can you take it for FAST, complete repair.
4. DO IT.

I just hauled my 2015 Silverback from Atlanta to Topeka/Goshen for serious repairs. Used an outside of the factory repair center ( recommended by them ), 2 trained men, 2 full days!!
We also had a leak in the BEDROOM SLIDE.
Treated great!! All issues, and there were several, all good.
I am 72 years old and did not cherish hauling that rig to Indiana unless we had to. No satisfaction here in Atlanta!
My issues were:
*front cap fade; second time
* leak in bedroom
* dining slide tearing dacor underbelly
* BLACK TANK seal leaking like crazy
* 2 blinds broke
* MAIN Dometic AC not cooling
* interior wood trim loose
PM ME FOR MORE INFO.
Let me add; FOREST RIVER STOOD UP AND TOOK CARE OF US!!

Thank you FR and RCI Wave
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:21 AM   #3

Thank you, SilverbackMel, for your response. I have forwarded your suggestions to my husband, who is at the office.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #4

wow! we also have a 2015 cardinal 3825 (front living room). so far we have not seen any leaks but then again it has not been in much rain. it has been it a few thundershowers but I have not seen any leaks. we are also living in it full time, so this problem certainly caught my attention. the rainy season is coming! would you do me a favor and post any updates you get about this? if there is something to inspect for please let me know. if there is a problem i'd like to get it corrected before it rains. really sorry for the problem!
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #5

Check and re caulk

Check every lap over point and when in doubt, re seal with appropriate caulking. Not JUST the roof! At EVERY corner and trim cap and where sides are hung.
I learned the HARD WAY! Never assume the factory did a great seal job. Some spots had ZERO CAULK. That's a NONE, NADA, ZERO!
Dont forget to extend those slides and re seal EVERY POSSIBLE screw and nut or fastner or where they come together!!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:15 PM   #6

Take it back to the factory, they did a great and COMPLETE JOB on mine, too them out, replaced and realigned the opening then stuck them back in correctly. Don't go to a dealer they sell that is all they are worth.
2017 SUZUKI KINQQUAD 500 EPS
TRAVELINBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:35 PM   #7

i own a Forrest Rive 37 foot RV and it had a leak when hooking up city water. Center carpet go very wet. I took it back to Little Dealer Little Prices but they did nto fix it, they claimesd they had but by the time I went back out and found it again, the warranty was gone. Alas, i am not impressed with Forrest River and do not think i would buy another one.
spares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:00 PM   #8

Exclamation Leaking 5th wheel

I would still contact FR about the shoddy workmen ship and see if they can help. They may be happy to improve their public image.
almasibasenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:23 PM   #9

I don't understand why any owner would have to return a unit to the factory, isn't it the factory's responsibility? I think my Wildcat may be going back and I sure don't plan on wasting my time.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #10

My 5er had frame issues and had to go back to Indiana for complete re-weld. Contact Jerry Miller at jmmiller@forestriverinc.com He is in charge of the factory repairs. He did great by me picked up the unit did repairs and returned unit in 3 weeks. Sounds like your issue is a easier fix than mine was so should be shorter time.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #11

Uptowncivilian,
I have a Cardinal 3800 FL. When we got it rained the first weekend almost 6.5 inches in 3 days. It can be fixed, keep on FR to get that done. I would not let much time go by before you shake all the trees at FR.
Good Luck!!!
Please let us all know how it goes.
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:18 PM   #12

Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement and for providing me with information regarding who to contact at Forest River.

I will absolutely provide the forum with updates as we receive them. I have to believe Forest River will want to make this right. . . . stay tuned. . . .

This issue has me heartsick!

Regards,
Uptowncivilian aka Janet Fox
Old 09-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #13

We have had to have our front bed room slide redone and they found that there was no caulking on the bottom molding on the slide and it ruined the floor , they removed the slide and replaced the floor and carpet so far so good . Ours got to where the slide wouldn't go out after a couple weeks . I called the factory they stood behind it
14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:45 PM   #14

If your unit needs to go back Cardinal will send a truck down to pick it up and will bring it bacl to you.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #15

Cardinal backs thier product !
Old 09-29-2015, 10:04 PM   #16

Call Dan Dobecki at Cardinal #574-206-7634 He is in charge of warrenty issues.

Tags
5th wheel, cardinal, leak, slide, wheel, slide out