Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #1

Location: Northern Wisconsin during summer, Snow Bird in Gulf Shores, AL
Water Line leak

I have a new to us 2005 Cardinal 37. I have a plumbing leak that has the carpet wet on the street side from the refer along the slide. Leak appears to be somewhere under the refer. The storage cabinets on both sides of the refer space are wet. I at first thought it was the ice maker so I raised the bale and shut off the needle valve at the outside refer access panel. No help, still wet.

Any ideas or suggestions? Appears to be an panel that can be removed at the back of the lower cabinet to the right of the refer.

Thanks, have a good day and a Merry Christmas.

Dave
emtdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtdave View Post
I have a new to us 2005 Cardinal 37. I have a plumbing leak that has the carpet wet on the street side from the refer along the slide. Leak appears to be somewhere under the refer. The storage cabinets on both sides of the refer space are wet. I at first thought it was the ice maker so I raised the bale and shut off the needle valve at the outside refer access panel. No help, still wet.

Any ideas or suggestions? Appears to be an panel that can be removed at the back of the lower cabinet to the right of the refer.

Thanks, have a good day and a Merry Christmas.

Dave
Here's a simple common problem: The corrugated hose leading from the evaporator fins drip tray. Condensate runs down the tray, into the hose and should lead out the outside access door. Normally its led to the vent openings in the louver door and supposed to drip from there to the ground. Many folks have found the hose leaking to the inside of the outer compartment because the hose was not let out. Remove the door and have a look. You need to find the leak urgently, it will damage the outer laminate of fiberglas or worse inside wood structure. An aid to find it is to use a 1500 watt heat gun or even hair dryer and start drying areas. Look for the water to return and most important where its coming from. You'll find it, good luck!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #3

Thanks Vince, will check.

Have a good day, Merry Christmas.

Dave
Old 12-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #4

Found the leak. Turned out that the "garden tub" has a split near the drain opening. Water was being trapped under the tub and then overflowing down to the lower level. No immediate fix other than not using the shower. Did fix the area so as to not trap water anymore.

Has anyone had to replace the tub/shower pan ? Local tech's are looking into a replacement for me. Also suggested epoxy (JB Weld) repair, but I didn't think epoxy would be flexable enough and just split at the repair.

Any suggestions ?

Have a good day.

Dave
Old 12-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #5

Find a guy that fixes fiberglass tubs and showers in residential homes and I bet he can fix it for you.. Google tub/shower repair.
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj125
Find a guy that fixes fiberglass tubs and showers in residential homes and I bet he can fix it for you.. Google tub/shower repair.
X2, would be 1/100 the cost of ripping out most of the bathroom.. Just have him reinforce below the tub and stop the flexing.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #7

My leak problem continued after we found the problem with the tub. This time I am sure the leak has been fixed. There is a 1/2" water line which feeds the ice maker in the refer. At the refer outside access panel the line has a needle valve and changes to a 1/4" poly line to the ice maker control valve. Removed the electrical panel below the refer and found that the 1/2" feed line had a slow drip, leak where it had rubbed aginst wood framing. We cut and capped the line in the storage space near the water filter. Will put the ice maker back in service by threading 1/4" poly tubing to the control valve using the old 1/2" line as a conduit.

Happy to have the leak fixed. Next is a repair to the tub, our local Mobile RV repair service has found a repair kit to fix the split and reinforce the tub.

Have a good day.

Dave