Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2021, 03:49 PM   #1
Georgia Rally Coordinator
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 19,480
Black tank

Has any one had an issue with the black tank vale getting blocked so it will not drain. Had it happen twice and use the no more than 2 ply TP. Later RJD
__________________
2020 Shasta Phoenix SPF 27RKSS
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-38
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:06 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 90
Not necessarily the number of plys, but the question is, how well does it break down in water? Grab a couple of squares and put them in a sealed container with water. Let it soak for about 30 minutes, then shake gently a few times... is the paper still intact or is it "liquifying"? It should be liquifying, if not, change TP type. Also be sure to keep some water in black tank at all times. Never leave it dry. With water present, the solids have something to liquify them. If no water... solids stay solid and then can cause the issue you described.

Also, don't put anything in the toilet that didn't process through your body... no paper towels, feminine hygiene products, etc...
__________________
Marc in sunny California
2013 Crusader 260 RLD
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD and 4:10
mmartin_tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:58 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
njfishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Has any one had an issue with the black tank vale getting blocked so it will not drain. Had it happen twice and use the no more than 2 ply TP. Later RJD


Close the valve, make sure the tank is full as possible by adding water to it. Now open the valve and let it rip!
__________________
Gerry Z
2018 Forest River Heritage Glen 272RL
2018 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost Max Trailer Package
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:26 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 19,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin_tdc View Post
Not necessarily the number of plys, but the question is, how well does it break down in water? Grab a couple of squares and put them in a sealed container with water. Let it soak for about 30 minutes, then shake gently a few times... is the paper still intact or is it "liquifying"? It should be liquifying, if not, change TP type. Also be sure to keep some water in black tank at all times. Never leave it dry. With water present, the solids have something to liquify them. If no water... solids stay solid and then can cause the issue you described.

Also, don't put anything in the toilet that didn't process through your body... no paper towels, feminine hygiene products, etc...
Thanks but have been camping for many years and this is the first time this issues has come up. I always have water with chemical in black tank. Never leave dry. Seems to me there is something else going on. Later RJD
__________________
2020 Shasta Phoenix SPF 27RKSS
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-38
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:33 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Thanks but have been camping for many years and this is the first time this issues has come up. I always have water with chemical in black tank. Never leave dry. Seems to me there is something else going on. Later RJD
Good luck then, let us know what you find caused it.
__________________
2019 F150 4X4 7050 GVWR 1903 payload
2018 Avenger 21RBS 7700 GVWR
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:47 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
njfishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 603
Black tank

Hmmm - I would guess one of a few things thenÖ A faulty gate valve, a clog at the gate valve or your tank is not venting. One way to check if itís a venting issue and what Iíd try first would be to try dumping it while holding down the toilet foot flush which opens the ball in the toilet to allow air into your tank. If that works you have a clogged vent which can be snaked from the roof.

Not sure how Iíd go about trying to free a clog. I guess with a snake starting on the drain end but if you manage to free the clog, watch out . I guess you could also use a snake on the drain end to see if your gate valve is not opening as well.

Itís a dirty job but someone has to do it
__________________
Gerry Z
2018 Forest River Heritage Glen 272RL
2018 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost Max Trailer Package
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:20 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SW PA
Posts: 784
RJ,
It could be that when the hole was cut for one of the pipes that enter the tank the plug was allowed to drop into the tank. It may have finally worked itís way into the discharge pipe. I have read of this occurring multiple times from folks on this forum.

Not sure of the best way to remove it if that has occurred, maybe an endoscope inserted into the drain will allow to see what what is going on.

Steve
__________________


2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 02:32 PM   #8
Georgia Rally Coordinator
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 19,480
Thanks Steve. Problem is there are 2 30 degree elbows leading down to the tank. Hard to snake anything there. I was able to un clog it by bun a house up the discharge tube and turning water on and keep moving back and forth and pushing up ward till it brook free. I'll see what happens on my next outing. Will be at the Goshen rally and this an Item I am having them look at. Later RJD
__________________
2020 Shasta Phoenix SPF 27RKSS
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-38
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
black, black tank, tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.