Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2021, 05:48 PM   #21

Howdy. Guess the only thing I know is pump is in working order. I hooked it up again put water in fresh water tank, turned on pump & no water coming into trailer. I can hear activity in fresh water tank which sounds like pump is blowing air into the tank. I have no idea what that means. Thanks for all your fine advice by the way.
nephi007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:19 PM   #22
Part-Time Campground Host

Well I'm as confused as everyone else.
Switch the hoses/lines from one side of the pump to the other.
Maybe you got a left-handed pump
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1689
cboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
Well I'm as confused as everyone else.

Switch the hoses/lines from one side of the pump to the other.

Maybe you got a left-handed pump
Maybe a model mean to be exported to the UK or Australia where they drive on wrong side of road[emoji16]

Air bubles blowing back into the tank are a dead giveaway the pump is pumping the wrong way.

If it were mine I'd be inclined to pull the pump head apart and make sure diaphragm unit and check valve are properly installed with no foreign material inside.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:52 PM   #24

Howdy.My thanks to all for the great advice. I believe I’m going to let it be for now. But if the 5 gallon jug represents the fresh water tank and once pump is turned on it sucks the water up through the inlet and our the the other outlet then why doesn’t it suck the water from the fresh water tank in the same way when it’s hooked up? The bottom of pump has an arrow which shows left to right direction. What can be backward. The water lines that connect to pump are long enough for each valve so I can’t switch them. I’m just as confused as everyone. I dread the thought of taking it in to dealer but it’s fish or cut bait time. Thanks again
Old 09-24-2021, 07:16 PM   #25

So the 5 gallon jug proves the pump is wired correctly, is it possible that the water lines were reversed and the fresh tank is hooked to the pump outlet?
Old 09-24-2021, 08:57 PM   #26

Howdy. I really don’t see how the lines have been switched but I don’t know how to test that idea. All this has a simple explanation I am sure but I am missing it somewhere. Basically the pump will not bring in tge water from the fresh water tank. Is it possible that a different water line is kinked. How do I test for that? I know if I take it to dealer they will fix it @ $149.00 per hour and if they are honest ( I am taking it to dealer where I bought the trailer) they won’t gouge me. Gracias.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:11 PM   #27

I had a similar problem, and it wasn't until I added 16 gallons of antifreeze into the holding tank that it started to pump!! My guess, and it really is just a guess, is that the pump inlet inside the fresh water holding tank is too high! In other words, the pump inlet is sucking air instead of the antifreeze. After reading everything you described it sure sounds like the same issue.

2018 Forest River Sabre (cobalt), 30RLT
2011 GMC Sierra 3500 HD 4X4 Long Box, 6.0L Vortex
WhiteEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:17 PM   #28

With a full fresh water tank, what happens when you disconnect the inlet line to the pump? You should have a flow of water there. That would check the line for kinks.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:03 PM   #29

Howdy. Well at this point I will try most anything to see if it solves the problem so I will follow up on your suggestions and see what happens.. thanks.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobagbob View Post
With a full fresh water tank, what happens when you disconnect the inlet line to the pump? You should have a flow of water there. That would check the line for kinks.
I would have to disagree. The pump on both of my travel trailers was above the freshwater tank. The tank is mounted below the floor of the trailer, in the belly area.

There are likely two causes, if the pump is connected properly:
1. Debris blocking the inlet line - or possibly even no hole drilled in the tank where the suction line goes into the tank.

2. A leak, which is allowing air to be sucked into the inlet line - which could also possibly be the vent line for the tank was connected to the pump rather than the actual pump suction line.

It is also possible the tee and valves were installed in the outlet tube which goes to the rest of the plumbing rather than the inlet tube from the fresh water tank.

Personally, I'd be tempted to remove the connections from the pump and suck on them by mouth and see if I could get any water from the tubes.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:22 AM   #31

It sounds to me like there are only a few possibilities which would cause your problem.

First, it could be that the water lines have been connected to the pump on the wrong sides, you should be able to trace the water lines to make sure if this is the case or not. I know you have said you don’t think that is the case, it should be easy to confirm.

Second, the pump is unable to pull water from the tank. You could disconnect the inlet line from the pump and wrap it nice and tight with a cloth then put a shop vac on it to see if you can suck water through it. That will tell you if you have debris clogging the line between the fresh tank and the pump.

Another reason the pump may not be working is if there is a leak in the water line between the fresh tank and the pump. A common place of failure is the sediment filter which should be close to the water pump, they normally have a clear plastic bulb on them which is threaded onto a connector. It seals with an O ring. If the plastic has vibrated loose, the plastic has cracked, or the O ring has gone bad it will let air into the inlet side of the pump and it will not move water well at all.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I would have to disagree. The pump on both of my travel trailers was above the freshwater tank. The tank is mounted below the floor of the trailer, in the belly area.

My mistake to assume all were like my motorhome where the tank is above the pump. Sorry to mislead.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:31 AM   #33

Howdy. Thanks for the input. This morning I went into trailer.. disconnected the valve from pump that feeds water into trailer hooked up my 1/2 inch elbow to same..inserted 1/2 inch pvc into 5 gallon jug… put water in tank.. turned on pump and water flowed through pump into jug. I turned on galley sink valve.. nothing no water came out. Appears water is getting into trailer but not disbursing to end points. Now what do y’all think that means. I haven’t a clue. The wife thinks it’s the valves that are the culprit.? Your thoughts please?
Old 09-25-2021, 02:27 PM   #34

Have you checked the aerators on the faucets, unscrew them and see if they are clogged with debris.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:13 PM   #35

Howdy. Actually just a week ago we were at the KOA in Butte Montana hooked up to city water and all faucets worked fine. A friend recommended I unhook inlet side of pump and use my compressor @ 20 psi and blow air through the line to find any air leak in the lines. I did that and no air leak detected.
Old 09-30-2021, 06:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi007 View Post
Howdy. 2016 Shasta 25rs owner. Water pump system on the fritz. I replaced the pump & no help. Looked under rig saw a kinked 1/2 inch hose section which I cut out and joined with 1/2 inch insert and clamped it down. Put water in fresh water tank turned on pump which I hear turn on but no water into system coming through. No idea next step other than asking community for advice. Thanks.
THis may be to easy, but, did you turn the winterization switch from wintrizing to the Tank.
Jcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:40 PM   #37

You have verified the pump works by connecting the inlet to a jug and having the outlet open. That says the wiring is correct.

Connect the inlet to your water tank and leave the outlet open. Turn the pump on, does it pull water from the tank? It might take a half a minute to prime so be patient. If it will not pump from the tank, you may not have enough water, may have an air leak that will prevent priming, may have the winterizing valve in the wrong position, or may have a blockage in the suction / inlet side.

If you now are pumping water out of your tank, then hook up the pump outlet to the camper. Turn the pump back on, you should be getting water into the camper. If you are not, then you have a blockage on the output someplace.
shelkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:16 PM   #38

Howdy. All good & sensible suggestions provided here have been tried with no success. Pump is good and I blew compressor air through lines to detect a blockage if one existed and none found. Have tried switching inlet/outlet on pumps no luck. Have switched wires leading to pump.. no dice. At this point I have an appointment with purchasing dealer on Nov 1 to have them fix it. All input from community appreciated. Once repaired I will report back on how it was fixed. Ciao
Old 09-30-2021, 10:34 PM   #39

Water pump fix

Check the water line around the pump There is a place with a snap off cover with a screen in it Remove the cover and clean the screen
jodeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:48 AM   #40

I'm still stuck on the likelihood that when hooking back up to the sink you are losing prime if the water drains back downhill.
You might try putting water in through the winterizing inlet and ensure that the pump is primed.
Nothing else makes sense to me.
When mine loses prime nothing else works other than putting water in the winter inlet with a cup and funnel.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump