Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2015, 05:26 PM   #1

122 A-Frame

Why are the 122 or 128 Aframes so popular?
chaviva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:18 PM   #2

I switched from a tent/popup camper due to the physical demands of pulling out the beds, placing struts under each and overall time needed to set up. My A frame takes less than two minutes to get the frame up/ shelter for me and the dogs. Could be set up just about anywhere in a few minutes, otherwise tent popup has more room in my opinion.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:13 PM   #3

At campgrounds, I see a lot more popups than I do a-frames. We're usually the only a-frame.

Reasons we chose the a-frame over another pop-up:

We realized we were going to be limited to weekends and long weekend camping for the next 5 years or so. Long (week or two) camping vacations aren't going to happen with kids off to out of state colleges. There would normally just be 2 of us and a small dog.

We wanted easy and fast set-up, and ability to store in the garage ready to go on very short notice. That way we could adjust our camping to the weather at the last minute. We wanted dry camping for 4 days/nights in the Colorado mountains in temps as low as 40/20. And it had to be able to be towed by our minivan. We use campground toilets and showers, and usually cook/wash dishes/lounge at and around the picnic table. Another strong desire is to fit in the very special small sites at public campgrounds.

The a-frame meets all those criteria better than any other style camper. The wife prefers the hard sides to canvas when camping in bear country. The a-frame has enough windows and ventilation - though not as much as a PUP.

Floor space is very tight in our A122 - only one person gets dressed at a time. PUP has more floor space because the beds extend. Awning arrangements are much better on a PUP. But we have since discovered awnings are pretty useless in the typical Colorado winds.

With the addition of mattress toppers, both the rear bed and dinette sleep very comfortably. Two golf cart batteries give us power to run the heater through a long weekend. 15 gal water is sufficient for a long weekend dry camping. When we have hookups, the standard air conditioning and microwave are nice bonus features.

The one person, 20 minute complete setup/take down time, and ability to store and setup in the garage are what really set the a-frame apart from a PUP.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 a-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan

prior: 2000 Coleman Westlake PUP
1993 Ford Explorer
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:43 AM   #4

We went from tent camping to our A128S. This was the criteria for getting ours:

1. Easy setup
2. No canvass to have to set up and let dry if it got wet once home
3. Would fit in garage (except last 8" of tongue). It now stays in our boat storage (got rid of boat)
4. Air conditioner/heat
5. Will tow with my durango
6. Walls set up fast enough inside won't get wet if set up in rain
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #5

It is quieter in my A128s than it would be in a pop up and the walls provide some insulation to stabilize temp swings.

I just don't enjoy sleeping under canvas where you can hear a leaf drop and need to deal with wet canvas if it rains.

It is impractical for more than two adults to move around comfortably inside, but since the A128s floor plan allows options of both sleeping areas to break down into seating areas (no permanent bed), I have had 6-8 seated in my AFrame around the two tables on occasion.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:03 PM   #6

They were the first built... a122,a127,and perhaps the a128...the next year..
please correct me im wrong..
My unit.. a122 was built in oct. 2010....one of the first units off the line im pretty sure.
basically these units where built on a Rockwood Premier box and sides, and then modified for the Aframe.
Im still happy with my camper, but the window over the bed requires inspection now and then .. even with 3m extreme tape, total replacement, or whatever i throw at it ... but love the camper for storing capabilities, ease of use, and towing.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:32 PM   #7

I did not know that D-mo, that is interesting.
chaviva7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame, frame