Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #1

2012 ALiner

I just got back from a local rv show and they had an Aliner Expedition, Titanium Edition on display and I was really impressed with most of the build quality. This model sits on a 14 foot box and the extra room was very noticeable and the actual dry weight was approx. 1900lbs.
The caulking on the camper was a work of art and the build quality was superior to the Rockwood a-frames, this camper is well designed.
The only area that was lacking was the quality of the cabinets, the Rockwood cabinets are better quality, which really goes to show just how bad they are. The factory rep. that was at the show stated that the factory is looking to improve the cabinets next year.

The show price was around $17,000.00 and this is their top of the line model with all of the options. I will not be trading in my A122 for one, but if I ever decide to buy another a-frame this will be the camper I buy.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #2

Was considering an A-Liner back around 1997, but didn't like the cardboard looking cabinets. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #3

The biggest thing I noticed with their camper was the build quality and attention to detail on the construction. When you look at the under carriage of their camper and then you look at the bottom of our campers it is a real eye opener.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Old 02-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #4

About a month before we purchased our A122, i was negotiating with another dealer for an expedition. Price points were way off. Here a base expedition was 18,000 before taxes, where ours was out the door at 10.4. Problems that i saw were the lack of the boxed framing, poor door construction, along with everything i really wanted on this trailer was optional. Airconditoning was a window unit, mounted on the side of the trailer which prevents most garage storage when dealing with a single garage. After reading numberous forums, I found that frame flexing was a real problem, and most people have to take them back to the dealer to have the framing reinforced/straightened, as the door has a tendency to fall straight through the opening when in transit. There is constant banter on these forums about the lack of customer support provided by Columbia NW after their purchase has been finalized. Now with the company purchasing most of the intelectual properties from Coleman, they are now moving their business into tent trailers, to make up the lose they incurred last year by folks like you and me not paying top dollar for a product that the company does not stand behind.

d-mo
Old 02-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #5

Thats an eye opener! I would be pissed if I spent 17-18 grand on an a-frame and the frame was bent. Customer service is very important with any rv, because it`s not if you have problems, it`s when you have problems, which happens with every rv.

Thanks for that info.!

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Old 02-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #6

Last year I was in the market for an upgrade to my "Aspen" camper that I pulled behind a motorcycle. I checked out the Aliner classic at a nearby dealer and was surprised at the crappy construction/fit of many items in the display unit. I understand that hundreds of people had checked out the unit and that some damage would occur, but it was apparent that Aliners were not their bread and butter so little attention was given to it.

Luckily for me the A122 showed up at a different dealer and it looked like a much better deal, and after a year it has performed well with only a couple minor problems.

I think all of these small travel trailers use lower quality equipment to keep the cost down and I will replace some items with better quality ones a little at a time, I.e. sink faucets, outside shower, fresh water hookup.
toleworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #7

some info ... just a note for those that are interested

Wiki-Frame Deformation | Aliner Owners Club

d-mo
Old 02-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #8

The aliner went off my list because of price. There are much larger and nicer campers for the same money, if your TV can handle them.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aliner