Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #1

2012 hard side t12ddst

Hello,

I am looking at purchasing the T12DDST and wanted to get some opinions. We will be camping normally with four people (2 adults and 2 kids) plus our bulldog. We normally only camp for a few days and I am a little concerned that this is a little small for our needs. Anyone else have a similar situation and if so do you find the space adequate?

Also, I received an out the door price quote from a local dealer of $14079 (this includes the screen room). To me this still seems a little high...thoughts?

Thanks
emd2000tbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Site Team

since you don't list where you are, it's hard to say if that's a good price or not.

i'll just say that i bought a brand new 24' Hybrid TT for less than $500 more.
so, it sounds high to me.
i found a dealer in Penn., selling a brand new one for $9993, so yea, that's pretty high. sounds like that's MSRP.

what will you be towing with?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #3

It sounds a little too small to me. But if it is only used for sleeping, perhaps it will be fine. As far as the price, I bought my 2012 A122 with all options (no screen room) for $10,400 OTD in Ohio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emd2000tbd View Post
Hello,

I am looking at purchasing the T12DDST and wanted to get some opinions. We will be camping normally with four people (2 adults and 2 kids) plus our bulldog. We normally only camp for a few days and I am a little concerned that this is a little small for our needs. Anyone else have a similar situation and if so do you find the space adequate?

Also, I received an out the door price quote from a local dealer of $14079 (this includes the screen room). To me this still seems a little high...thoughts?

Thanks

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #4

I am in Texas and my Tow Vehicle will primarily be a 2012 Tacoma V6 (with tow package). Vehicle is rated at 6500, but I prefer to tow a much lighter camper. Also, considering the R-Pod. Still have not made up my mind on exactly which unit I want. So many choices so I do plan on taking my time to make the right decision. I do like the idea of the hard side folding camper because of the low profile.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #5

You will hardly know the T12DDST is behind you with the Tacoma V6. Plus, you can see behind using the review mirror because of the low profile.

Dave

Quote:
I am in Texas and my Tow Vehicle will primarily be a 2012 Tacoma V6 (with tow package). Vehicle is rated at 6500, but I prefer to tow a much lighter camper. Also, considering the R-Pod. Still have not made up my mind on exactly which unit I want. So many choices so I do plan on taking my time to make the right decision. I do like the idea of the hard side folding camper because of the low profile.

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #6

i would say that these trailers are just a little too small for a family of four. Perhaps a tenttrailer would do, as we had one before our boys decided camping was just not for them anymore. Tenttrailers give you bed ends that you need .. and the foldability that you like ...

d-mo
Old 02-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
Site Team

i agree, i've owned a couple of popups and my current HTT.
i've looked at the new FR A-frame trailers and though they are nice, i think they are really only good for a couple of adults.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
Flagstaff 625D Popup

I would suggest you check out the Flagstaff 625D pop-up.
We have had one for a couple years now and love it.
The inside shower and toliet (not a portable jobby) sold it for us.
Unbelieveable amount of space and gross weight is only 3300lbs.
Make sure you get the AC if you are in Texas.

Bean
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #9

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I think I'm going to reconsider my options and look into a regular popup, of course like Bean suggested the shower and toilet will be a nice convenience. I guess I shyed away from the popupcampers because I worry about problems with the tent material. However, from what I have read I have not heard of too many complaints.

Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #10

possible issues ..

your tenting should never be an issue .. unless you fold it up wet ... and then not dry it immediately upon arriving at your other destination. Issues to look for in a tent trailer are leaky roofs, and lift systems. A shower is a nice to have .. but most use it for storage, as it becomes a pain to set up, empty grey water tanks, and refill fresh water during your stay. A cassette toilet is the cats-meow for the wife and the little ones ... had one in our last one ... and it was an option that was a real necessity.

d-mo
Old 02-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
Flagstaff 625D Popup

We've stayed in our 625D during some heavy rains. Once even all night. No leaks. Maybe we just got lucky.

You just need to be careful when setting up that all the flaps are down and flat.

The "tenting" is really nice on the newer pop-ups. My only complain is the screen holes are too big. Allowing those tiny bugs (no-see-um's) in at dusk. We have the AC and rarely open the windows anyway.

Bean
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean
I would suggest you check out the Flagstaff 625D pop-up.
We have had one for a couple years now and love it.
The inside shower and toliet (not a portable jobby) sold it for us.
Unbelieveable amount of space and gross weight is only 3300lbs.
Make sure you get the AC if you are in Texas.

Bean
+1 on the 625D!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #13

Also get the Popup Gizmos they really help with the summer heat!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #14

I was just looking on-line at the 625D and that looks like a great unit. I am hoping to go look at one in person this weekend.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean
We've stayed in our 625D during some heavy rains. Once even all night. No leaks. Maybe we just got lucky.

You just need to be careful when setting up that all the flaps are down and flat.

The "tenting" is really nice on the newer pop-ups. My only complain is the screen holes are too big. Allowing those tiny bugs (no-see-um's) in at dusk. We have the AC and rarely open the windows anyway.

Bean
You got me thinking about another mod. Buying some mosquito netting fabric and figure out the best way to attach and cover the factory screens.....
Old 02-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #16

Quote:
I was just looking on-line at the 625D and that looks like a great unit. I am hoping to go look at one in person this weekend.

Thanks again everyone.
Did you get a chance to go look? What part of Texas are you in? Western Campers in Ft Worth has a 625D on the lot.

Popup Inventory

Scroll down to the Flagstaff Classics
Old 03-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #17

You should be able to find a pup with king beds, bench type couch, table with benches, inside potty that would work fine for your family, you can even add a power roof lift system for $400. My A-frame type is too small for more than 2 people, max 3 is other is a small child who would sleep on the closed dinette cushions. Good Luck. If you buy used be sure to look for any tears in canvas or screening, lift system, flooring underside, and be sure all appliances are working.
DobeFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #18

I just traded my 1998 Coleman Bayside for a TT--14 seasons in the Pop-up, with never any problems--once had to service the fridge. It had two King beds, a couch, and the dining area was a slide that would seat 6. As the grandchildren got a bit older, they began to prefer camping in a tent, so the pop-up became a place for the toddlers and the grown-ups, along with two dogs. Plenty of room, and easy set-up and towing.
Sugarph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hard side, t12ddst, a-frame