Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #1

3M Tape Works Great

You may remember last year when I had a very small leak in my large dome window so I sealed all the windows and vent with 3M Tape.

Went on a 4 day camping trip this week in Glenrose, Tx. Saturday night got a major storm come through. We must have gotten between 3 - 5 inches of rain. The river which was right across the road from our site was swollen and roaring where only the day before the kids were swimming in it. Actually saw an entire tree uprooted coming down the river and across the dam.

The camper did not leak a drop. Yeaaaa. That 3M tape worked great. Sure glad I did it.

David
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:51 PM   #2

I was 120 miles south of you near Llano where the weather was mild but very windy. The DW texted me in the evening to ask how things were because of the news reports. Our camp had a few tents that were quite deformed by the wind. So much that one of the campers went to his car because the tent fabric was in his face. Everything was OK in the morning.

The funny part was Saturday afternoon, before everyone had thought to stake the tent down well, we had a few rolling around the pasture when some big gusts came in. The canopy went first and was 100 yards from where it had been setup before the frame collapsed and the cover blew off.

Good to hear that yuor fix worked well. Which campground did you stay at? I've stayed at the State Park and Tres Rios and liked them both.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:53 PM   #3

David, glad to hear the tape did a great job. My trailer was wet inside when I picked it up after winter storage. I guess melting snow leaked into the unit and I had to wait 3-4 hours pick-up day (new delivery) while they re-caulked the roof windows.
Today, while drilling into the back end roof frame, to add LED lights, water was seeping out one of the drill holes. The drill entered between the topside roof skin and the inside roof skin. Adding the 3M tape now would stop any more problems popping up. Another project to do.

A-Frame Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Good to hear that yuor fix worked well. Which campground did you stay at? I've stayed at the State Park and Tres Rios and liked them both.
We were staying at the Oakdale RV Park about a mile from Glenrose. The Dulcimer festival has been going on there for 34 years. I've been going off and on for about 25 years. I think this was my 15th year to go.

We never did have any really strong winds this past week. The wind did blow all the time while we were there which made it nice and cool but nothing dangerous. They did roll their awnings up though.

David
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #5

Sweet sounds.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 05-12-2015, 12:28 PM   #6

Tape

We headed from Fort Worth to Corpus Christi last year for vacation and first night on the road (left late in the day) we ran over a road gator which tore up the bottom panels on the Windjammer. As we were arriving at the campground for the night when this happened I drove slowly and looked it over the next morning. I brought out a hammer and some steel to straighten the panels as best as I could then put good old grey duct tape on the cracks and places where the wind would make it flop around. The duct tape lasted about 50 miles and then blew off (yes I cleaned the spot first). Before we started home that week I used Goof off to clean off the residue and applied Gorilla tape. Wow, it never moved and stayed on for about 6 months until we had the damage fixed. I carry this stuff only now and recommend it highly for damage repair. Not sure it is as waterproof as the 3M, but for just sticking something over a broken area it can't be beat!

My brother was headed out to Fort Davis in Texas on Saturday and got caught on I-20 about Cisco in the hail. Tennis ball sized! He said every panel on the TV had huge dents all over them, and the top skylight and roof vents on the TT were all blown out. I asked if he had time to get on the roof and look at it yet, but he had not. I told him to find some heavy plastic to cut into pieces and Gorilla tape. He will be heading back tomorrow and I'll take some photos.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
The duct tape lasted about 50 miles and then blew off
That stuff is way over sold IMO. Most brands of it are really just cheap tape that leaves a mess behind when removed. I carry a roll of Gorilla tape too.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 05-14-2015, 08:16 PM   #8

While you're talking about useful stuff - I found cork screw dog posts at Do It Best for a buck, haven't had one pull out. Add some inexpensive ratchet straps to keep the awning down in a light breeze.