Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 09:40 PM   #21

"I have a Freedom 30 inverter/charger on my 28' trailer, but also a remote start Honda 3000i. I'd much rather light up the generator for even 2 microwave minutes rather than count amps for the inverter. Again it's simply a matter of what makes you happy."

-
Completely agree. We just traded up to a larger Roo and I did not opt for the 1500W inverter like we had on our last, but instead opted for adding a 3400W quiet electric start generator to use as needed, though plan on still using solar as much as possible. Cheaper and easier than installing an inverter and counting hrs.
I'm right there with you after having done it both ways.
2016 nights camped: 7, wife was pregnant
2015 nights camped: 29
ablindmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #22

I run an R-Pod and built a frame/rack similar to jeffnick. The aluminum angle is available at Home Depot, 1/8 inch is strong, light, and easy to work with. I installed two 6 volt golf batteries last year but not yet completely sold on them. I've been off grid at least a week without any issues. I also installed a 100W solar panel on the roof which does a good job topping off the batteries if some sun gets to it. I also carry a 2000i gen on the rack, haven't had to use it. If you have or can borrow an angle grinder with metal blade you can probably cut off the old battery frame. I installed my battery cut-off inside near the main power panel. It was also mentioned that the battery case for the 6 volt has to be larger than that for a car battery. Hope this helps, good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0578.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	377.6 KB
ID:	133198   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0579.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	133199   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0580.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	133200  
RogerDB48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:11 AM   #23

I went the 100 watt solar route. One could simply go with the Zamp foldout 40W.The OP says he went 3 days on the existing battery, then a 100 watt solar should be more than ample. It seems a lot of people need more amps than Hoover Dam in a flood runoff can make.
Berton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:54 PM   #24

You young whipper snappers that can go 3 days in a tent with 90° nights are one thing. Us old folks may run the a/c all day and all night...try that with your solar power and fancy golf cart batteries! 😤😂
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
You young whipper snappers that can go 3 days in a tent with 90° nights are one thing. Us old folks may run the a/c all day and all night...try that with your solar power and fancy golf cart batteries! [emoji36][emoji23]

So true. I fall between those ages... and like to have a solid battery setup... however I love my air conditioners!

Plugged into shore power is my norm.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:19 PM   #26

Has anyone looked at or considered the new breed of Lithium ion rv batteries?VERY expensive at the moment but a company called Battleborn has a useable 100AH battery currently under a grand good for 3,000 cycles and after still holding 75-80% capacity. They are chargeable by current rv chargers. Ouch I know but hopefully within a short time they will be very competitive compared to AGM and flooded.
61cubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61cubby View Post
Has anyone looked at or considered the new breed of Lithium ion rv batteries?VERY expensive at the moment but a company called Battleborn has a useable 100AH battery currently under a grand good for 3,000 cycles and after still holding 75-80% capacity. They are chargeable by current rv chargers. Ouch I know but hopefully within a short time they will be very competitive compared to AGM and flooded.
I can get a replacement 12 volt starting battery every three years under warranty. Lithium ion, like 6 volt golf cart batteries, I see as a solution for a problem that I don't have. I'm not knocking the folks who like to push the envelope and enjoy explaining how they get 7-10 years out of a battery - I've just found a more comfortable and cheaper solution for my purposes.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:03 PM   #28

Quote:
I can get a replacement 12 volt starting battery every three years under warranty. Lithium ion, like 6 volt golf cart batteries, I see as a solution for a problem that I don't have. I'm not knocking the folks who like to push the envelope and enjoy explaining how they get 7-10 years out of a battery - I've just found a more comfortable and cheaper solution for my purposes.

I can't speak to the Lithium Ion batteries, however the 6v batteries are not just about longevity. The 6v battery choice includes what basic starting batteries just can't do: provide power for as long as needed.

Respectfully, I would also question getting a replacement every three years. There is probably more to the story than what you said. No prorating?

In the end it doesn't matter. If your "forever free" battery does no have enough power for the owner it is useless.

Sometimes you have to pay-to-play, and that is what 6v batteries provide.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:20 AM   #29

I guess the question is for a rig like I have with residential fridge and micro,are two 12 volt batteries adequate
wingnut1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:02 PM   #30

6V Batteries - For A Frame Mounting Help Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut1955 View Post
I guess the question is for a rig like I have with residential fridge and micro,are two 12 volt batteries adequate

Well, would need to know the amp draw of each.

Let's say the fridge is 5 amp draw. That would equate to a 50 amp draw on the batteries.

Let's say the microwave is 10 amps (it may be more, don't know). That equates to a 100 amp draw on the batteries.

Using those numbers, you would need an 1,800 watt inverter to run both of those at the same time... and would place 150 any draw on the batteries.

Since both of those would not run 100% of the time, it them becomes a matter of usage to determine how long your batteries would last.

I have two Trojan T105 batteries, which provide 225 amp-hour. That is at a 20hr drain though. Also, you only want to drain to 50%, so 110 amp-hours would be the usable power (again, at the 20 hr rate).

If you ran only your refrigerator, using the numbers above... and it ran 30% of the time, you would be draining your batteries at 17 amp-hours. That would give you approximately 6.5 hours before your batteries were at 50%.

Running anything else (microwave, heater, lights, etc.) would cut that time down. Sometimes dramatically.

Then you have to recharge them.

Lots of assumptions here though. Your exact situation will vary.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:09 PM   #31

I'm really not looking for trouble and I promise this is my last post to this thread...
One More Time Around: RV Batteries
Old 03-31-2017, 05:45 PM   #32

Quote:
I'm really not looking for trouble and I promise this is my last post to this thread...
The author of that article does not know his ass from his elbow.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
The author of that article does not know his ass from his elbow.

Yeah, I was laughing the whole time.

Referencing an article that you wrote yourself is also priceless.

The article can be picked apart however it isn't worth a response...
Old 03-31-2017, 08:38 PM   #34

Quote:
The blog you wrote yourself to support your own position is full of garbage.

1) 6V batteries are hooked up in series, not parallel.

2) Two 6V golf cart batteries with reasonable conservation will power a stock A-frame for 4 straight nights in the 30s without recharging. Or 2-3 nights without much conservation.

3) Two 6V golf cart batteries fit nicely on an A-frame.

4) Two 6V golf cart batteries at Costco or Sam's Club cost $150 to $160 - cheaper and more powerful than dual 12V batteries of any reasonable quality.

5) Two 6V golf cart batteries on an A-frame with a cutoff switch are very simple to maintain and are about as worry-free as you can get if the converter is working correctly.

6) I never worry about amps in or out of my 6V batteries. I go by number of nights without recharging. We have never stayed more than 3 consecutive nights in the same no-hookup site. On the 4th day, it's time to get more food, water, and tow to another site, at least partially recharging the batteries. I did install a voltmeter so that I can check approximate battery charge each morning of dry camping. The voltmeter also tells me how well the converter is charging when we are hooked to shore power.

This is not to imply that dual 6V golf cart batteries are the right answer for everybody. It depends on your needs and your camping style.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:03 PM   #35

6V Batteries - For A Frame Mounting Help Request

What is most funny about that article is the way he implies a 12v battery can take more abuse. The opposite is true. If one wants to abuse their 6v batteries they can... and will still get more out of them as a 12 starting battery. The 50% rule is just for maximum recharges. If you want to drain your 6v batteries until they are dead you can. Whatever negative affects that occur due to 80%+ drain will be worse on a 12v.

6v deep cycle batteries are meant to be drained and recharged. 12v starting batteries are not.

This guy clearly is not using his battery for much.

If he is excited about a WalMart 12v, he wouldn't know what to do with a properly charged 6v bank.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:53 PM   #36
194'er

Let's hope it is his last post, about batteries, remember he promised!
Jaydubya81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #37

Dang......and to think this all started with my simple request for help on 6v battery installation ideas for my A Frame.

X 2 to Fred and others!

Interesting how so many threads in this forum get hijacked by others trying to show their perceived knowledge of the world and all about campers. The thread's original author and question gets put on the backburner and is lost or forgotten. At the end of the day, it just wastes a lot of time and takes away from those that are truly here trying to help others.

Thanks to all who provided input to my original thread/questions. I think we can now stick a fork in this thread.....it is done! -

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."

2014 Rockwood A128S
2015 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4X4 Short Bed
Big Red Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:56 AM   #38

Fred,

After reading the last post I wrote yesterday, I wanted to make sure there was no confusion.

It could almost be read that I was not happy with your comments and the opposite is true. I was trying to communicate, but maybe was not very clear, that I was supportive of your comments against those who were hijacking the thread with their "worldly knowledge"

You have been and are one of the most supportive folks in this forum. Your past help has been invaluable and appreciated.

Terry

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."

2014 Rockwood A128S
2015 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4X4 Short Bed
Big Red Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:03 AM   #39

Terry

I took it the way you intended. I appreciate your support. I'd love to meet you folks camping some time.

Fred
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:07 PM   #40

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...05s-80824.html

This is an old post that has several brands of battery boxes for two 6 volt battery's
I have a V-Lite trailer so there is not much room to upgrade to a larger battery box. I bought the century battery box for two 6 volt golf cart battery. I'm not sure how your trailer battery mount is built. My trailer has a flat plate of steal just behind the jack that the original battery box was bolted to. I did the same thing and bolted the century one with the same bolts to the tongue of the trailer. Not sure if yours are mounted on 2 angle irons between the frame. You could put a 2 by 8 in the angle iron and bolt through to hold the battery box in place. Or go to your local steal supply house and have them cut you some flat stock aluminum or steal that you can bolt or strap down to the trailer frame or angle iron.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ice-93019.html
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...__TtIOWhmFvXUg
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...51325232,d.dGc

Hope This Helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, frame, mount