Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2015, 12:22 AM   #1

A-Frame overnight to the Grand Canyon

I haven't seen many A-Frame trip posts lately, so I think I will share some pix for my fellow A-Frame enthusiasts' enjoyment.

My Rockwood A128 at Mather campground at the Grand Canyon:

(There's another Rockwood in the background, a tent camper, but I didn't get the exact model.)

The campground rules say that the maximum length allowed is 30 feet, so I was a little worried whether I would be OK. Yes, the trailer is only 17 feet long, but the whole rig with TV is at least 35 feet long. One of these days I will have to take a measurement. Anyways, when making the reservation (for just one night), I searched for a "trailer site". This yielded a pull-through site that was easily long enough for the whole rig - no issues.

But as I was parking and unhooking, a friendly fellow camper passed by in his pickup and said, "Hey, that's just like mine!" It turns out that Jerome from South Carolina was set up not far away from us in the next loop over. Jerome has a A122:

Later that evening after we had established our camp, DW and I walked over to Jerome's site and chatted him up for a while.

Yeah, but what about the Canyon? OK, here you go:

It's very, very hard to take a bad picture of the Grand Canyon!

The funny thing about the Grand Canyon, is that it is the one place you can go in Arizona and be outnumbered fifty-to-one by non-Arizonans. Observing tourists is great sport at the Grand Canyon:

Japanese:

Spaniards (be careful, lady!):

Every year, people slip off the edge and fall to their deaths, seriously.

Back to a lighter note, this was DW's first camping trip in the A-Frame. I don't usually go where there are facilities, but in an attempt to lure her out, I decided to take her to a real campground with real bathrooms. Also, we are geocachers and she wanted to add the numerous Grand Canyon "virtual caches" to our list of geocaching accomplishments. We had a real fun weekend.

2012 Rockwood A128 (no S)
2016 Ram Power Wagon 6.4L Hemi 4x4
DanM-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:54 AM   #2

Great report. It's a good time of year to be at the GC.

I had my first closeup with an A Frame a few years ago at the GC, camping with my kids in the old Coleman pop up. That is what put me on the path to buying one.

We did a "standing on the edge" photo in a spot where there was a big ledge just a few feet down but out of the camera view. Like the photo you posted, it is vertigo inducing.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame, frame