Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #21

Right. The meals I refer to as "Costco warm ups" are found in store, in the deli or refrigeratored aisle. They definitely vary store to store, region to region.

Some people may cringe at the thought of buying pre-pared food items. My husband is a litle disturbed at time that I dont always cook from scratch but I work long mentally draining hours and there are times I just dont want to think about meal preps...Im all about simplicity when it comes to food on a trip.

Nothing like opening a bag and dumping all ingredients together for a caesar salad...prep cut and measured and with dressing. I like the package of marinated pork loin...just throw on top of the grill for 30-40 min and a tasty meal is done...then I use the leftover meat choopped up and in breakfast omlets or in sandwiches the following day.

If I want to avoid grilling, I will buy the precooked blue cheese angus burgers and all we have to do is warm em up...no greasy mess if you dont want the hassle...packaged stir fry entrees and premade dips for chips and crackers (my favorite is jalepeno cream cheese with wheat thins).....I check out the aisles for easy to warm meals whether in the microwave or quickly over the stove in a pan ...

We definitelt eat well when camping and often have friends comment on the 'fancy' meals....LOL -Yea, they are definitely cheater meals to someone who is firm on 'homemade' - but my off time is too short to spend it in a.kithen....best wishes in your food search...

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
Just wonder what unique quality draws a buyer to the Hard side Pop Up?

Most common question asked of you regarding your A-frame?

Tamara

This weekend, we were camping at Fort Toulouse State Historical Park here in Alabama. My wife took the car to go to a local grocery store while i stayed with the dog at the camper.

I decided to shave and was busily hacking a way on my whiskers when I looked up and saw two faces, just inches away from me, pressed against glass peering into the kitchen window.

Funniest tour yet. I opened the door and said hello. They were kind of sheepish said they just couldn't help it they had to take a closer look at the our camper. They said had never seen anything quite like it. The husband kept asking "does it fold down?".
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #23

Oh my gosh - David, your post cracked me up! Glad you didnt nick yourself when you noticed your audience! That is a hilarious 'Reader Digest' funny!

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 08-16-2012, 03:12 AM   #24

The heat and serve meals at Costco contain oodles of chemicals, as well as msg in several forms, and are heavily salted.
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #25

2Susan - you are absolutely right! it's probably why any processed premade foods taste so good with beer (offsets the salt).

Great reminder to those watching their diets...

For sure, if someone wants a healthy "ready to eat, fast" meal, they should just pack up fresh fruit, vegetables and bring along home made foods prepared from home to re-heat for their trip.

For ME, its only a couple days at a time that I would eat sodium packed preservative laced foods...figure its ok now and then...this was after the memory of bringing along protein shakes and fresh fruit - now THAT sure took away the feeling of vacation camping. haha

1967 Newell Motorcoach

Tags
a-frame