Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2019, 07:03 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I agree, WHATTT?

He gets 23mph (miles per hour) while towing, not mpg...

;-)
Midnight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post

;-)
I seriously need to slow my reading down to 23mph

2018 T21TBHW A-Frame
2012 Nissan Pathfinder
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:22 PM   #63

Yep this has all been very interesting, and I've learned a lot, but I can't say it's made my decision much easier, haha.

Realistically I'll be going through at least one more season before switching. As I have mentioned once or twice, there is a fairly good chance I'll end up with a newer RL, because I really have need for neither the cabin space of an SUV nor the features of a full-size pickup, but I still enjoy a smooth ride and at least middling MPGs. That's just today, though... after a year I might think differently.

It's good to know that with the right features and mindset it is possible to make anything down to a 4-cylinder SUV (even a Subaru?!?!) work!

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #64
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post

;-)
That doesn't make since either.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:29 PM   #65
OYO

I wasn't trying to give Cksb a hard time. And really didn't notice mpg vs mph. Just thought 23 (whatever) was impressive.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:01 AM   #66

oops, guess I meant miles per gallon. But yes, it gets 23 while towing on the highway. It is a 2014. It likely helps that eastern NC is flat, so I have not been faced with mountainous territory with it. Someday, I am hoping, I will! Kate
Cksb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:27 AM   #67

Is that 23 mpg based on what the on board computer is telling you or are you actually doing the math to figure the mpg? If you are truly getting 23 mpg with your 2014 Nissan Pathfinder, I would be holding on to that vehicle until the wheels fall off because there is no way you'll be getting that mpg with any other vehicle.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardEB View Post
I have a 4-cylinder Subaru Outback that gets 31 mpg city/highway when not towing my A124 A-frame. The camper has a dry weight of 1958 lbs. the Subaru has a tow rating of 2750 lbs. I have towed the camper with the Subaru over 40000 miles while racking up over 150000 miles on the Subaru in 5 years including taking it over the Rockies at 11000 ft with a 7% grade incline. Haven’t had any problems and kept a speed of 45 mph going up at 4200 rpm. Hope that helps.
What MPG do you get when you ARE towing?

Old 02-16-2019, 10:31 PM   #69

Jeep Cherokee with factory tow package 3.2 V6, class III receiver rated for WDH.
tows 4500lbs tongue 500lbs.
last summer did Great Lakes then Mississippi River to NOLA and back to PA avg 21mph with a 3100LBS A124s.
Fazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:06 PM   #70

re SUV towing vehicle....

Thought I'd add my two cents to the post:

Last summer we bought a Rockwood 122BH, the model with the bike hauler platform up front, and with the dormer, which is a great feature. We keep a 3000 generator on the bike platform, along with our two mtn. bikes.

We added the EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 Weight Distribution Kit when we bought it, and have no problem whatsoever with sway or any issues.

We tow ours with our 2000 Nissan Pathfinder, and have taken a number of trips, from Bend, Oregon down to Reno and into the Sierras, out to the Oregon coast, and more local trips into the mountains around the Bend area. No issues at all, and we're able to drive the speed limit (65 mph on down) with no problem.

Hope this helps!
Russell Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:47 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Evans View Post
Thought I'd add my two cents to the post:

Last summer we bought a Rockwood 122BH, the model with the bike hauler platform up front, and with the dormer, which is a great feature. We keep a 3000 generator on the bike platform, along with our two mtn. bikes.

We added the EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 Weight Distribution Kit when we bought it, and have no problem whatsoever with sway or any issues.

We tow ours with our 2000 Nissan Pathfinder, and have taken a number of trips, from Bend, Oregon down to Reno and into the Sierras, out to the Oregon coast, and more local trips into the mountains around the Bend area. No issues at all, and we're able to drive the speed limit (65 mph on down) with no problem.

Hope this helps!
That's a load to tow but then your TV is rated to tow 5000#.

Remember that you can purchase a 5th wheel hitch rated 15000# and it will bolt into the bed of a Chevy S10 pick up. I think we all know where that goes

My rule of reference is never to bolt something to the vehicle that exceeds what the Manufacture of the vehicle offers as a FACTORY option.

Believe me that is what Insurance companies and Law Enforcement go by. In this day and age you can no longer just say it feels alright driving with the trailer in tow and I never killed anyone while I was towing this in the past.

Case in point look what a 2016 Jeep Cherokee towing specs are:
All models without Trailer-tow Group and equipped with aftermarket Class II type hitch 2,000#

2.4-liter engine automatic transmission with Trailer Tow Package (Class III) 2,000#
3.2-liter engine automatic transmission with dealer installed (Class III)WDH 3,000#
3.2-liter engine automatic transmission with Trailer Tow Package (Class III)WDH 4,500#

Trailer Tow Package is the factory build option.

Also don't make the mistake that Specification for one year carry over to the follow on years.
For some reason in 2018-19 they changed towing capacity between FWD and 4WD on the Jeep Cherokee..
Old 02-24-2019, 01:23 PM   #72

We towed a friend's A-frame from Washington State to Ohio and back with our 2017 Kia Sorento with a V6 engine. We were passing at 80 MPH going over Lookout Pass on the Idaho Montana border at 4700 feet. We had no issues and plenty of power and pickup. At the time we didnt have a brake controller and had no issues even with a fast stop on snow.We've since purchased our own and added a brake controller. We've crossed the Cascades with it and gone up into Canada a couple of times and had no issues. Braking is faster with the brake controller added.
Stevensusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:05 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensusie View Post
We towed a friend's A-frame from Washington State to Ohio and back with our 2017 Kia Sorento with a V6 engine. We were passing at 80 MPH going over Lookout Pass on the Idaho Montana border at 4700 feet. We had no issues and plenty of power and pickup. At the time we didnt have a brake controller and had no issues even with a fast stop on snow.We've since purchased our own and added a brake controller. We've crossed the Cascades with it and gone up into Canada a couple of times and had no issues. Braking is faster with the brake controller added.
Glad you got a controller. 80 mph with no brake controller, with any A-frame and any TV, is suicide IMO.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:53 PM   #74

Yeah, it didnt feel insecure then, but now that I see how secure it is with trailer brakes, I'm really glad to have them.
Stevensusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:57 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensusie View Post
Yeah, it didnt feel insecure then, but now that I see how secure it is with trailer brakes, I'm really glad to have them.
Just another tip: I'm rarely a lecturer on here but should also point out that most factory installed tires on these trailers are only rated for 65 or 75 mph.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:49 PM   #76

Ford Escape 2.0L EB

Has anyone towed an A-frame, PUP, or TT with a current-generation Ford Escape 2.0L EcoBoost? With class II tow package these are rated for 3,500 tow capacity (yes, I know other numbers matter too).

Just looking for opinions, based on actual experiences, as to whether this is realistic and how much MPGs would suffer.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #77

As related earlier in this thread, I have towed 2 FR A-frames with my 2008 Hyundai Entourage, which has a 3,500 lb tow rating. Hyundai/Kia don't like to publish any other numbers than the tow rating, although our 2018 Kia Sorento owners manual does talk about vehicle payload. Ford does a better job of putting towing information out there.

When we were looking for a daily SUV for DW last summer, we looked at the Escape. We decided that it made sense to make sure the vehicle was capable of towing the A-frame when the minivan gives up the ghost (currently at 210K miles). I prefer a V6 for towing our HW A-frame, but Ford only puts a V6 in the high end Escape (lots more $$). That and the significantly better ride made the Sorento win out for us.

The 2 biggest issues (usually not discussed) with towing campers with these smaller SUVs are tongue weight and wind resistance of the camper. FR A-frames have substantial tongue weights - usually anywhere from 300lbs to 500lbs depending on model and how they are loaded. I dare say anything except a full-size SUV or truck will tow these things a lot better with a weight distributing hitch (WDH). The ride of my minivan without a WDH was unacceptable to me; with the E2 600/6000 WDH the minivan rides as smooth as stock while towing. My advice - don't cheap out, spend the $400 on the WDH.

If you are looking at a High Wall PUP or A-frame, the extra wind resistance is noticeable at interstate speeds. The extra wind resistance will often cause the tranny to shift down a gear, and your gas mileage goes to....The EB engines do have a lower torque band than normally aspirated so that is a plus. However, no matter what, towing a High Wall at 70MPH is going to need a good hunk of power from your engine. Even a regular height will take just 15% less. You will to have a tolerance for higher than normal RPMs from your engine while towing uphill or into a stiff wind.

Make sure your camper brakes and brake controller are properly adjusted. I strongly recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy line. The cheap proportional and time delay controllers give such a rough braking motion that you dial them down and they don't provide enough braking assistance. And please shift down manually coming down a hill.

just my thoughts and experiences, hope this helps with your decision
Fred W
prev: 2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
now: 2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan, 3500lbs, 350HP 3.5L V6, 5 speed
some day: 2018 Kia Sorento SUV, 5000lbs, 370HP 3.3L V6, 6 speed
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:02 PM   #78

Correction to my post #76: I meant current or previous generation of Escape (since 2013).

(pgandw - Thanks. I am cognizant of these issues, but hopefully the info will be of use to others.)

Old 03-24-2019, 08:59 PM   #79

Really need more information on this one. What size A-frame and weight/height? Some A-frames are 1200 lbs and 12 feet long (Aliner Ranger for instance) and this would be easy to tow whereas others like ours are 2650 lbs and 21 feet long. 80 mph is pretty dangerous on any larger A-frame especially since the tires are usually rated for 75 at most (mine specifically state 70 on the sidewall). Also, a single axle suspension is only rated for 70 mph in most cases or it can become unstable with wind and air current effects. Be safe out there.
TrailerTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:23 PM   #80

I've been working on answering my own questions tonight. After an unsuccessful search myself on the "Escape City" forum, I found a link elsewhere directing to this thread:

https://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=21113

This is probably the most comprehensive assessment I/we will come across RE: Escape.

Of note: Factory engine (and trans?) cooling system is inadequate for long uphill grades. I wonder how common that is for Class II-rated SUVs.

Tags
a-frame, frame, towing