Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2020, 11:19 AM   #1

A frame roof not going up

My 2017 forest river T21TBHW roof does not go all the way up. I have to take a pole and push it up the last four or so inches. Any ideas? Thanks.
gar075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:35 PM   #2

You could be the latest victim of an actuator failure or something is binding. If you look on the A-FRAME forum you'll see several different threads all highlighting the frequent actuator failures. I have a 2019 A213HW and I'm already on my second actuator with only 6 months of use. Many are on their third actuator and trying to figure out how to replace the actuator with something else. I know on my roof, as I approach the top, I jiggle it for the last several inches since it seems to hang up just a bit before it locks into the full open position. Same thing on the way down. I have to jiggle it a bit on the way down for it to bounce past some resistance. If the actuator is failing, make sure you have the tools to disconnect the actuator so you can put the roof up/down while on the road. It's doable with a long pole and some extra help.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:57 AM   #3
Itching to go . . .

I believe that what you describe is by design. You don't want the actuator (lift mechanism) to push the roof too far - so it stops short. Mine has operated this way from the beginning and we bought it new. An easy push on the back roof panel puts it into the final "locked" position.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:40 PM   #4

Thanks. But mine used to go all the way up and now stops about four inches short. It also is offset. Im thinking the bands that connect the two sections need to be replaced or adjusted. Trying that next.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:34 PM   #5

A Frame Operation

Because it stops a few inches short does not mean there is an issue. Get inside and push it up the past few inches. Not uncommon unless you hear binding and grinding.
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gar075 View Post
Thanks. But mine used to go all the way up and now stops about four inches short. It also is offset. Im thinking the bands that connect the two sections need to be replaced or adjusted. Trying that next.
Take a few pictures the next time this happens and post them so we can see what's up. Mine also goes all the way up too but I jiggle it to help it along.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:53 PM   #7

Thanks, but I have put it up for sale. It sits on a lot which I rent. Think Im just going to rent from now on.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:46 PM   #8

We have found it is important to level the base before trying to raise the A frame. Much easier!
Deelinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosure View Post
I believe that what you describe is by design. You don't want the actuator (lift mechanism) to push the roof too far - so it stops short. Mine has operated this way from the beginning and we bought it new. An easy push on the back roof panel puts it into the final "locked" position.
Same with mine going up. A little push on the lower roof and it's ready to go. Has been the same way since I got it nearly 2 years ago. I don't have any problem with it coming down though.

Tags
a frame, frame, ram, roo, roof