Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2022, 06:39 PM   #1

A-Frame Roof Raising in Strong Wind

You can't always choose the weather when you have to raise or lower the roof. Doing so on a windy day can be a nightmare.

After having one of my bungees ripped out last year when raising the roof on a windy day and almost losing the roof panel completely, here's my procedure for dealing with strong winds.

I attach a rope to the front panel (the panel not connected to the actuator) on the passenger side. I then tie that to the hand rail above the steps. With my left hand I operate the actuator switch while my right hand holds the rope, winding (or loosening) it over my hand as the roof raises or lowers. This gives me a lot more control so the panel doesn't take off on me. For even more leverage you can open the vent fan cover on the panel so some of the wind goes through it so the panel doesn't catch all the wind as would a boat sail.

The other part of the technique is to be patient. Even on very windy days, there are brief lulls in the gusting if even for a few seconds. Use that time to work the actuator and stop when the wind picks up again until the next lull.

Another technique for raising the roof in the wind is to move the trailer so that it's facing into the wind, then raise the roof, then drive the trailer into the desired position at the site. Pulling the trailer while the roof is up won't hurt it on relatively level ground for short distances if you drive slowly and carefully.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:01 PM   #2

That sounds like quite a challenge, but you've got yourself a plan.

One night we had a storm in our pop-up and I was getting close to breaking camp and getting the roof lowered before it got ripped off.
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 10:04 AM   #3

Took my 2014 A122 to Wyoming to solo camp for a weekend. Encountered 40+mph winds with the ranger saying gusts were topping 60. Popped the latches (no electric lift), and both panels started rising with the wind. Got very worried that they would rise past the latch point without latching. Put a rope on the handle to control the wind lifting the panels.

Then I realized the plastic chocks were blowing out from underneath the tires, and the trailer was trying to pivot, with just the tongue jack stopping it. Was afraid the tongue jack was going to flex or break, so pulled roof down and went home. The next day I bought heavy rubber chocks from Harbor Freight for $5 each with coupon. The plastic chocks are only used at home in good conditions. The heavy rubber chocks are what I use when camping without issue since.

On my present T21TBHW, I replaced the electric lift with gas struts on front and back roof panels. The gas struts really stabilize the roof, and hold any position I lift it into. And the gas struts are much faster than the electric lift. While I haven't lifted the roof in 60mph gusts again, I don't see any issue with the gas struts. Because I'm short, I use a boat hook to push the roof panels to full latch position, and to pull them out of latch (boat hook on handle) when folding down.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2022 Hyundai Palisade
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame, frame, ram, roo, roof