Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #21

Thank you for sharing the video.

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganmartin View Post

It held up very well in some pretty good wind the last couple of days so I'm pretty impressed. Good luck with your new camper.

LM

We received one of these as part of the deal when we purchased our camper. After just surviving a hail storm in the old camper, I was wondering how easy it is to take down in bad weather? We always used the old EZ UP in the past and had taken it down in anticipation of a thunderstorm...we didn't know the hail was coming too. The hail penetrated the awning of the camper next to us with enough force to dent his portable fridge that was under the awning. This was the heavy roll up type on a TT. He said he tried to roll it up but the hail was pounding him.
CCrane2299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrane2299 View Post
We received one of these as part of the deal when we purchased our camper. After just surviving a hail storm in the old camper, I was wondering how easy it is to take down in bad weather? We always used the old EZ UP in the past and had taken it down in anticipation of a thunderstorm...we didn't know the hail was coming too. The hail penetrated the awning of the camper next to us with enough force to dent his portable fridge that was under the awning. This was the heavy roll up type on a TT. He said he tried to roll it up but the hail was pounding him.
It won't break down as quick as an EZ UP that's for sure...but it's not difficult either. I could get it down in a few minutes by myself. Putting it up is where I would choose to have assistance...mainly for convenience sake.

The benefit of the system is that it is integrated into the camper, thereby having a continuous space without a break in between the two spaces. A hailstorm is an random event so hopefully you already met your quota on that one.

LM
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #24

My Awning Experience....

I set up my OEM awning this weekend.

Likes: Well made... decent color... great concept... well packed... Nice Bag (easy to repack).

Dislikes: (As set up on my A128S.. )

This, as much as anything, serves as notes to myself. I am assuming (and hoping) that I set it up correctly.

Note: I've owned and set up many different kinds of tents over my lifetime of camping. IMO, this was not easy to set up. However, I AM sure that it will be easier the next time.

My wife and I carefully cleaned the camper surfaces with alcohol before applying the Velcro per loganmartin's advice. (After assembling and setting up the awning, I wondered if we could have applied the alcohol to a better use?)

Main problem. The receiver sockets on both sides at the abase of the "A" frame that receives the support poles were hard to position. The awning was either too short or too long from the peak to each of the sides. This took quite a bit of adjustment and I am still not quite certain how I should be positioning them.

Poles! --Lots of them and long. Get the push out section of the pole in the correct position between 2 sleeves. Make sure all ball locks at the pole are lined up and clicked in place or the "curved" pole's section will shift and cause you grief .

Other notes:

If you keep the sides down, it was hotter than the outside as the mesh screens restricted the air flow. If you let insects under the enclosed awning, then it will act like a "funnel" to bring them inside the camper when you open the door (horse flies, wasps, etc.).

We can't use the really nice grill under it.

After our experience DW (who really wanted it) said it really wasn't worth putting it up. Most likely, we will reserve the use of this one to longer than 2 night trips.

I was actually smart enough to get it down before the thunderstorm hit or we would have had to dry it out when we got it home.

Otherwise, it was kind of neat...
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #25

lol...it will get better with time.

LM
Old 05-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #26
Flagstaff 22FBS

Even if you don't use the screen portion, it seems that with the awning attached to your Aframe would be nice for shading the door or step out when it's raining.

Are you able to use the grill, without the screens in place? Can you attach the grill on the section closer to the door to get the heat away from the sides? Hummm, on second thought, the gas line might not reach... a quick connect extension for the gas line might be needed. We have a quick connect gas line extension so that Gary can put the grill on a picnic table if he chooses.

Or is the problem with using the grill the sloping sides collecting the smoke?

Inquiring minds,
Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #27

Gas Grill under the awning...

Deb: I think that it is a great awning that will certainly protect you from rain. I believe that there were warnings on the grill or awning or both not to use the grill with the awning in place. I guess the heat could cause a fire or melt the material (especially if I'm cooking...).

The hose extension seems the way to go. I think the rack that holds the grill to the trailer can be placed on the ground and used as a vertical stand.

To loganmartin: Did you have any problems positioning the awning's support sockets on your trailer? We had to "gather" ("bunch it up" - in southern talk) the awning to pull the flap out from under the end covers/cap of the roof.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #28

DG-

No...seems like the placement of the support sockets kind of take care of themselves. The video is kind of misleading in that you would think that the ends of the awning go underneath the roof corners all the way around the endcap when in actuality they kind of pop out and around the square roof corner where it meets the box. The only way I knew this was because my tech's had the awning set up when I arrived for the inspection.

If I am understanding your question, you start at the apex and work your way down the edge of each side panel (me in the camper and my wife outside) until you get to the point where you go out and AROUND that square part of the roof panel where it joins the box and then over to the velcro that runs down the side of the box at the very edge of the diamond plate....so yes, there will be that small section that is not attached with velcro where it bends over the square piece.

I hope you can make sense of that. Maybe I can get some pics and have my nine year old show me how to post them. Technology really left me behind

LM
Old 05-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #29

Thanks DGrissom, for your feedback on the awning. After 3 weeks, mine arrived yesterday. I initially thought they sent the wrong one (box says "Cabana Lightweight RV Dome Awning") I opened it up and found directions from Dometic stating the awning is the 'A Frame Awni
ng and Screen room'. After reading the set up and user directions, I will admit that I am now less than excited about using it....seems more work to set up than I imagined...told my spouse it would be faster to pop up the EZ up and enclosed sides (which has held up to windstorms extremely well, staked down of course) My excitement completely died and coincidentally after reading your note, the stars have now stopped shining for the awning. LOL
My husband said its not going to be that bad...but I am thinking of user friendy and fast set up, especially since I will be using it by myself when at the shows. sigh...I can pop up my EZ up alone...I can put up my SUV Napier tent alone...but this awning may be my challenge yet....again, I really appreciate the feedback...I havent even used it, just read the directions and I am leaning toward agreeance with your spouse haha....maybe if it had already been placed on my unit prior to purchase, I wouldnt be feeling this way...will report our findings if I decide to put it on....
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #30

LM - I think I will hold your encouraging words in mind...really glad to read that you are liking your awning more as you use it! Thanks for your words too!
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #31

handbuilder: Actually, I don't want to discourage anyone about the awning. While the initial setup was not as easy as I had hoped, I think that it will be easier once I get all the set up "kinks" out. I agree with LM that it may take 2 people to easily set it up. I know that if you are of a very short stature as my DW then it would be very difficult to manage the setup alone as it has a very high peak.

I can see this as being a real extension of the camper's living space. I can accommodate additional family members with outside sleeping arrangements (with a ground cloth and cots). With the addition a solid underpinning panel fabricated out of a cheap plastic tarp to keep down the cold drafts, it will be nice during early spring late fall camping as well. The EZ UP canopy still works as an option for me over the picnic table area.

Again, I was very impressed with it after we got it set it up.

LM: Once again, I appreciate your response. You route the "socket pocket" out from under the overhang and over the front of the corner plate (This should eliminate the "bunching" of the material to fit.)? Did you run a small strip over the surface of the corner plate to help secure and support the "pocket" before reattaching to sides of the awning for the side's vertical runs?

I know that I am going to have to play a bit more with the installation on this one. I wasn't all impressed with our dealer's tech as he simply "threw up his hands" on showing it to us and more or less told us to go out and get a cheap EZ UP.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #32

DG-

Yes, this should eliminate your bunching problem and create a good fit. I did not run a strip of velcro over the corner plate...it makes a good and tight seal and also creates a channel for water runoff when tied into the velcro running down the side of the diamond plate.

You've got to remember how new the awning option is. Our awning was our dealers first experience with one as well and I get the feeling they worked on it all morning before we got there.

One other benefit I realized on the last trip was rain protection it provided for ALOT of gear. There was a potential for overnight rain and before I went to bed I filled it up with stuff I preferred not getting wet (genny, chairs, lanterns, etc.) The EZ up will afford you no protection from a driving rain.

LM
Old 05-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #33

I just took delivery on my 2012 A frame and I would like to know the correct storage cover to purchase. The trailer fits nicely in my garage but my wife just gave me the " Stinkey Stare." So off to the storage lot it goes.
Any ideas will help.
Thanks.
djtouchfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #34

There are a few posts in here about covers for the a frame... Take a scan through the topics... Here's one
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...mes-17867.html
There's a few more as well.
rawlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #35

Thank's for the response. I was thinking of a cover because of the year round hot sun here in Fl. I don't know if it will harm the paint or culking of my trailer. Also, is there any really good travel clubs such as Good Sam and Camp USA I should be investigating.
djtouchfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #36

I don't personally see any value in travel clubs but part of that has to do with living in the northeast. I do have a AAA upgraded membership for 100mi towing. (RV AAA is not offered in MA I don't believe)
rawlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #37
Flagstaff 22FBS

The following questions and answers are all a bit off topic (sorry OP):
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtouchfla View Post
Thank's for the response. I was thinking of a cover because of the year round hot sun here in Fl. I don't know if it will harm the paint or culking of my trailer.
Yes, the sun can get pretty brutal on paint, plastic, etc, especially in Florida and points south. I would think that you'll need to keep an eye on the caulk and a good coat of wax on the paint. Is it possible to purchase and erect (zoning) a "Kentucky carport" at your house?
https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/im...xSCYCF4wmLRh2A

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtouchfla View Post
Also, is there any really good travel clubs such as Good Sam and Camp USA I should be investigating.
Gary and I don't belong to any clubs. We like to go on our own, but I think that this forum of forest river owners are a travel club and have rallys (not exclusive to Aframe campers and will include 5th wheels, etc.)
The Rally Zone | F.R.O.G. Events - Forest River Forums

Also, I've read that Aliners and Chalets welcome Aframe style campers of other brands at their rallys.
Aliner Owners Club

Don't be afraid to start your own fresh post questions. You'll get better responses from more viewers with a title specific to your inquiry.

Welcome to the forum and
Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #38

Thumbs up My Awning Experience.... part deux

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganmartin View Post
DG-

Yes, this should eliminate your bunching problem and create a good fit. I did not run a strip of velcro over the corner plate...it makes a good and tight seal and also creates a channel for water runoff when tied into the velcro running down the side of the diamond plate.

You've got to remember how new the awning option is. Our awning was our dealers first experience with one as well and I get the feeling they worked on it all morning before we got there.

One other benefit I realized on the last trip was rain protection it provided for ALOT of gear....

LM
My wife and I did another run through last night (in our back yard). The pockets lined up perfectly over the surface the corner plates. It was one of those duh! moments. The poles were more manageable the 2nd time around. We finished the Velcro installation (sides and base), and pinned it down. Overall, it was easier this time around.

Going back to a previous question: A single individual can put it up, however, it will be somewhat more difficult. I've took some pictures of a few of the key areas that I may post if anyone needs them.

Thanks, again LM!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #39

No problem DG. I have received a good bit of help in here and the least I can do is return the favor. I think you will begin to see the virtue of the awning over the next few trips. It's a little bit of a hassle...but worth it for a two-nighter or more.

LM
Old 05-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #40

We chose to buy the awning with our 2013 A128S. Have not even taken out of the bag yet
Did read through the directions. Dealer placed all Telco prior to pick up hope its right.

Thiis thread has been very informitive and I know already will help with first set up.

First REAL outing July 9 -- 15 two different campgrounds ending with the 43rd annual family reunion camping for the week end. Always about 100 relatives involved.

Gotta Love Family...
MN128S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, a-frame