Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #41

this sounds very much like the amount of trouble you would have when adding an " add a room" enclosure to the awning of a popup tent trailer. The one we had stayed in the trailer all the time, and was never taken out due to the issues of putting it up .. and taking it down. I definately think im going to stick with my easy up .. after reading all your reviews and comments .. thanks much for these.
I had a thought at one time of purchasing a "Carefree of Colorado" awning and attaching to the back of the trailer, along the roof line, below the bubble. This unit comes in its own pouch, and be bought in varing lengths and is extremely easy for one person to set up. Just an idea for those looking for another idea.

d-mo
Old 05-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #42

Found a great canopy at Target. It's 11X11 and totally self contained including a full screen netting. It sets up in less than two minutes and costs $110.00.It comes with a carring case and easy to store. First time it took us about ten minutes because the directions are not that great. It's stored in the A Frame so I don't remember the manufacture. However, it's a stocked item at Target.
djtouchfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #43
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtouchfla
Found a great canopy at Target. It's 11X11 and totally self contained including a full screen netting. It sets up in less than two minutes and costs $110.00.It comes with a carring case and easy to store. First time it took us about ten minutes because the directions are not that great. It's stored in the A Frame so I don't remember the manufacture. However, it's a stocked item at Target.
Thanks for this tipoff. We looked at it online and read comments from owners (http://www.target.com/p/Coleman-Inst...ws-and-ratings). It's a Coleman brand, which used to be a good name in camping gear. I think Wentzel actually makes that brand, at least for the tent products. Owners complained that their screenhouses came with holes in the screens and that the straps that held the fabric to the frame were flimsy and tore off or were missing entirely. Did you have any of these problems with yours? We're interested because of the quick assembly and the relatively light weight (our current 9 x 12 screenhouse weighs 36 pounds, takes two energetic people to put up, and packs in two good-sized bags).
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
Thanks for this tipoff. We looked at it online and read comments from owners (Coleman Instant Screenhouse (11 X 11') : Target). It's a Coleman brand, which used to be a good name in camping gear. I think Wentzel actually makes that brand, at least for the tent products. Owners complained that their screenhouses came with holes in the screens and that the straps that held the fabric to the frame were flimsy and tore off or were missing entirely. Did you have any of these problems with yours? We're interested because of the quick assembly and the relatively light weight (our current 9 x 12 screenhouse weighs 36 pounds, takes two energetic people to put up, and packs in two good-sized bags).
The ratings concerned me as well.

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #45

I have had no problem with the canopy or screen. We have used it three times and it seems to hold together rather well. We are about to head out for a month and will be using the canopy much of the time. I will give a report on the workmanship when we return. We are enjoying our A Frame however, we had no idea the A/C would be such a distraction while trying to sleep.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #46

If you are talking about the noise, wait until you hear the propane furnace!

Seriously though, if you are a light sleeper it may be a problem.... Cheapet fix would be earplugs, more involved might be seeing if you can insulate the housing or something with sound dampening material like they use in car audio (this may reduce storage space however)

For us, for the amount of times we need to use the A/C we can live with it, and we've gotten used to the furnace enough it doesn't wake us anymore.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #47

Drifting a tad from the OP but some folks in small campers will leave the fan on when sleeping to help mask and even out the sound of the AC or heat pump. Sleep heat at passenger side too
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #48
Mostly Harmless

We went out and bought the Coleman 11x11 screenhouse posted about here. Figured we could take it back if we didn't like it. We put it up in the driveway this morning and are quite pleased with it. In order not to further hijack this topic thread, I'll start a new one with some photos
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #49

I do use ear plugs now. My beautiful, serene, petite, lovely, precious wife could snore a dead man out of a coffin. The A/C however, won. We are heading north, so we may not need the A/C past North Carolina. Talking about clubs. I took a chance with 39.95 with Passport America and did get 50% off at the campsites we were interested in. It was actually a better deal than my National Park pass.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #50

I just spent most of the day trying to put up my Dometic A-Frame Awning and screen room on my new 2018 A122 camper. I am having the same problem as one of the other posts mentioned. In the directions it says to make sure the ball pen attachments are pulled to the inside. On mine there are just grommet holes, that I can't get to come down far enough, after several adjustments. They are just not far enough down from the peak, to clear the edge of the side, to push the ball ends into. I am very frustrated, and disappointed in this set up. Has anyone solved this problem please?
SNORKELCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:05 PM   #51

I have one. Got it when we bought a 2015 A192HW. Would not want to go without. Only problem I've had with mine is the Velcro fastening system. Found the external usage of Velcro lasts less than a season. Looking for system more reliable. I have thoughts of using snap grommets. Has anyone made a modification?
wilkinrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:57 PM   #52

A-frame awning

Does your screen room / awing have a "ball receiver" sewn in at the apex, and on each side for the top poles where they go against the camper and lock in?
Mine only has the one sewn in, at the apex (top v point by velcro). There is nothing on mine to attach each side roof pole. These are supposed to be sewn into the fabric.
I am stumped. Can't get any help from Dometic. Just the run around. Any ideas?
g-r-r just frustrated!
Old 05-17-2018, 10:15 PM   #53

I can't seem to even find my support sockets. I have called every number, and posted everywhere, trying to find out what I am doing wrong. I have one sewn in support ball socket at the apex top by the Velcro, for the center roof support, but none for the side roof support poles. If you have the manual it's page 5 step #14., that shows what I am trying to explain. I would appreciate any info.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:23 AM   #54

We bought a 2017 forest river rock wood # a213hw. And purchased the screen room that was supposed to fit our model. After about 4 hours of trying to assemble this thing I folded it up and put back in the bag. What a waste. But did find this visor and it was easy to install. The first time took less than a half hour. No screen room but that was really was not that important to us. https://pahaquecustom.com/store/inde...f22479c1cee10c
andy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:42 AM   #55

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0036.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	444.6 KB
ID:	172570. This is how it looks on my camper.
andy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:01 PM   #56

Thank you for sharing your experience, at least I know it's not just me! lol I ordered some ball socket receivers from Amazon, to see if I can't make this thing work. They haven't arrived yet. I will keep you posted on my progress.
JJ
Old 05-29-2018, 02:46 PM   #57
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy56 View Post
Attachment 172570. This is how it looks on my camper.
How do like your visor? Do you need to take it down if it's windy?

TIA.
BJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:37 PM   #58

It attaches to your a-frame with velcro.
CamperGuy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #59

Ours has the ball sockets at the apex and both sides. First time putting it up was pretty quick. (Previous owner installed velcro) maybe 10-15. Quicker if I have help. Does a decent job keeping bugs out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180612_170949.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	698.4 KB
ID:	175692   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180612_171024.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	681.2 KB
ID:	175693   Click image for larger version

Name:	t1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	175697   Click image for larger version

Name:	t2.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	175698   Click image for larger version

Name:	t3.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	175699  

swe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:48 PM   #60

Smile A-frame screen awning

Thank you for the close up pictures. Those answered our questions for sure. Ours does not have the sewn in ball sockets, however the manufacturer offered to sell us to plastic ones that we could mount with screws, for $11.76 a pair..... guess it was a manufacturing mistake. We just didn't know. Thank you so much.

Tags
awning, a-frame