Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2022, 10:39 AM   #1

A Frame Sidewall Looseness

The small sidewall of my A Frame, on right side of door is very loose. There appears to be minimal means to hold this wall in position.
This looseness leads to poor alignment with roof, abrasion and wear when roof is down, considerable problems with screws holding the pop up sidewall hinge.
I have tried using construction adhesive to connect this sidewall to the seat base.
I don't know if there are any aluminum studs in the sidewall that can be used to stiffen this wall.
Any suggestions?
Q
QueQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 08:43 AM   #2

My 2014 A 194 is doing the same

I am having the same problems. My shower is located in this spot so I have a couple pieces of wood to try to attach to, but nothing really to provide strength.
Have you been able to address this yet?
Cleech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 04:17 PM   #3

As far as I can tell, there are no reinforcements within the wall sections on my 2019 A-frame. If the hinge is pulling loose, my suggestion would be to remove hinge, and internally reinforce the sidewall sections (both) in the area of the hinge. Could be a strip of plywood, wood, or aluminum angle placed internally just under the aluminum rail cap. Use epoxy to glue reinforcement to foam and skin and screws through rail cap.

just my thoughts, I am not faced with the repair (yet)

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:41 PM   #4

Temporary fix

I was able to tighten a screw that connected side wall to shower wall. There is a one inch angle bracket installed to keep this connection tight. For now, all is well but I foresee that loosening and I will have to revisit.
So the door is fine. This is the actual side wall moving in and out near the door. Door frame and hinge are tight to the side wall.
Old 09-22-2022, 06:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleech View Post
I was able to tighten a screw that connected side wall to shower wall. There is a one inch angle bracket installed to keep this connection tight. For now, all is well but I foresee that loosening and I will have to revisit.
So the door is fine. This is the actual side wall moving in and out near the door. Door frame and hinge are tight to the side wall.
I obviously misunderstood your first post. If you are trying to pull the wall back onto these angles, screws into the wall are not going to hold for long.

This is very similar to the mounting of the gas struts on the wall with screws - the screws just tear out with any load. The wall has extremely thin plywood on the inside, foam core, and a layer of fiberglass-like plastic on the outside.

My recommendation would be to use stainless steel machine screws and nuts through the wall to the L brackets. #10s, if they fit through the L bracket, are appropriate. For appearance's sake, put the screw heads on the outside. If a lot of pressure is needed, oval heads with finish cup washers will spread the load a little better. Caulk the screw holes to avoid any water intrusion under the screw head/through the hole.

I mounted the gas struts to the wall for lifting the roof similarly. #10 machine screws through the strut mount, with a plywood backing plate on the inside. Your L-bracket substitutes for my plywood backing plate. L-brackets can be added if more are needed to tie the wall to the cabinet frames and cabinet frames to the floor. Floor is 1/2" waferboard, so is pretty substantial for machine screws with washers and nuts underneath.

hope this helps a little better
Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 03:05 PM   #6

Fingers crossed

I’m going to add some constructive adhesive to the wood at the sidewall. Hopefully this will buy a little more time. I have a long drive to my next camp so it should be a good test.
Thanks for you help with this. I have wondered what the walls are made of.

Tags
a frame, frame, ram