Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #1

A frames and boondocking

My wife and I are thinking about getting an A frame for when we want to go to areas we just can't get to in a 42' 5er (our glamper)

She likes the A frame because you can get the shower module.

So how do you folks who own them like them for tighter areas (potentially without water, electric, or sewer)?

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:23 PM   #2

We have to have electric because we both have sleep problems. So inverter generator for us. You have 22 gal of fresh water. Black tank is a cassette toilet that only holds a few gallon. Use of an outhouse is mandatory, pretty much. Only use ours for nighttime visits.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:40 PM   #3

We camped all over the US in our A-frame for years and loved it. As you are thinking,an A-frame can go places larger units cannot. Lack of realistically functional bath/toilet limits boondocking. Ok for a day or two, but even with shower/potty system it will be time to find a CG with facilities regularly.
We eventually moved up to a small TT (20').
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:36 AM   #4

It depends how hard core you allow yourself to be with regard to coping with no facilities. I have gone for 4 days with wipe downs and no major shower. Just think of it as tent camping with a bed. The outside shower works great for fast Navy rinse showers if you need to conserve water. I use a dry toilet system (Cleanwaste wag bags) do I don't have an issue with the need for dumping black waste water.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:25 AM   #5
194'er

My wife and can go about four nights with out hookups. With that said , obviously you have to conserve water and power. With the hot water full and the freshwater tank filled, you got around 26 gallons of freshwater.
On my model the toilet has its own source of water, may five ,six gallons or so, and the toilet waste tank is maybe about the same. We both were tent campers before, and we learned how to stretch what ya got. I also should mention that I've added two 6 volt deep cycles in series along with a 12 volt true deep cycle, with a 2000 watt inverter, that is hard wired into the system so I can use the outlets with out shore power. Hope this helps
Jaydubya81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:07 AM   #6

Counting the water heater volume is misleading. You cannot pump it empty, so it's volume is irrelevant (unless it's drained and you have to fill it first).
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #7
194'er

It is relevant if the water heater has been drained, which in my case is every time I go, I drain mine between trips
Jaydubya81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:06 PM   #8

Over half of my camping is "dry" camping, rather than true boondocking, as I prefer to have access to at least an outhouse.

I only use running water from the tank for washing hands and rinsing/washing a few dishes. Doing this sparingly enough I could probably make the 20 gallons last up to a week. Using the outdoor shower I would go through water much faster. I have never used the water heater since testing after purchase.

I only use the 12V battery installed by the dealer, and that's no problem for a weekend trip; for slightly longer trips of 4-5 nights I have used a 30W solar panel to top the battery off a bit. The battery is really vital only for the water pump and propane/CO detector. I do typically also use the radio a significant length of time, and occasionally lights and fan. But I could get by with only the first two. I usually don't even use the 12V lights indoors - instead lanterns or a very bright one attached to the ceiling with velcro.

For heat I use a Mr. Buddy for short periods of time.

With all of the above equipment and practices, the A-frame works great for dry camping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Counting the water heater volume is misleading. You cannot pump it empty, so it's volume is irrelevant (unless it's drained and you have to fill it first).
What do you mean by that - just that the volume is a little lower than stated since you can't use all of the water in it?

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JArry View Post
What do you mean by that - just that the volume is a little lower than stated since you can't use all of the water in it?
Yes. Water heater could be 6gal or 100 gal. You can still only use the volume in the holding tank.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:52 PM   #10

I love my T12. So far, about 150 camping days in 3 years. Yes, I am retired. I travel with my motorcycle, so I can access many off-road areas that are too limited for my SUV.

I carry a 3000 watt inverter generator, so I am completely self-sufficient. No-hookup sites are fine.

A dual battery setup helps.

Because of the small size of the camper, I can often park at friend's homes without being in their way.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:59 PM   #11

My A-frame has a fresh water tank under the trailer that holds 27 gallons. The hot water heater holds 6 gallons. Sure, you have 33 gallons on board, however that does not mean that a person can consume 33 gallons of water. Once the 27 gallon fresh water tank is empty, you will not be able to push the remaining 6 gallons out of the hot water heater to use it if your fresh water tank is empty.

Before a camping trip I fill and flush everything to get out any stale water and to get out all air in the system. Then I top off the fresh water tank. 27 usable gallons.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:37 PM   #12

You actually have less USEABLE water than you think. I have a 2012 A-122 with a 20 gallon freshwater tank and a 6 gallon waterheater. Filled the water heater and topped off the freshwater tank, then ran the faucet and measured the pumped out volume until the pump started spitting out air. 17 gallons total!! Because the pump cannot drain the 6 gallons out of the waterheater, and the pump intake line comes off the side of the holding tank (not the bottom) leaving a few gallons that are not "accessable" before the pump looses its prime. There is also a certain amount of water still in the plumbing system that the pump cannot move.

Tom
tommytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #13

Agree with tommytraveler...I too have the same model but a 2011 model.
If you like to extend your stays...do it with a dual battery system...deep cycles....had mine installed as part of the deal when purchasing...told them to keep the group24....I purchased the proper batts.

D-mo
Old 08-29-2017, 03:29 AM   #14

Thank you everyone for sharing your experience. I'm researching models now, paying particular attention to water capacity.
Getting kind of excited at the prospect of doing some camping.

I don't really consider my use of the 5th wheel camping. More like a portable hotel.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytraveler View Post
You actually have less USEABLE water than you think. I have a 2012 A-122 with a 20 gallon freshwater tank and a 6 gallon waterheater. Filled the water heater and topped off the freshwater tank, then ran the faucet and measured the pumped out volume until the pump started spitting out air. 17 gallons total!! Because the pump cannot drain the 6 gallons out of the waterheater, and the pump intake line comes off the side of the holding tank (not the bottom) leaving a few gallons that are not "accessable" before the pump looses its prime. There is also a certain amount of water still in the plumbing system that the pump cannot move.

Tom
The placement of the holding tank intake has always been an annoyance. No idea why they're designed that way... but wow, I wouldn't have expected only 17 gallons usable!

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:50 PM   #16

Ok...for your water issue...if we want to refill the main tank...I purchased a "waterthief"...and an additional waterhose....pull up to the campground water supply...dump in the 2 5 gallon cans.....run back to offload into your campers.
The water thief is key here, as it fits both locked off water supplys....and also fits on to your container ....
Your truck should provide you with enough gravitational pull to release and fill your fresh water tank.
Did this a number of times....

Hope this helps....d-mo
Old 08-29-2017, 03:15 PM   #17

I boondock quite a bit in my A122BH, though always by myself. The longest I've been out has been 6 days.

I use a 100W solar panel to keep my battery charged, and I sometimes bring an additional battery box I've built to run my laptop if needed. I'm light on my power usage, mainly the LED lights, water pump, fan, phone charging, and occasional 12V TV use. I've never run the battery down enough to worry, though if it was cloudy the whole week I probably would have to cut back on power usage.

The fridge runs on propane seemingly forever. I've only refilled my tank once since 2014. I don't use the furnace or hot water heater, so that helps. I occasionally cook inside, but prefer using a separate camp stove.

I've never run out of water, but I mainly use it for washing up and cooking. I do bring an aquatainer with me just in case I need to refill, though I have never needed it.

All in all, I'm very happy with how well I can boondock in mine. I usually feel like I could be out there forever!
Old 08-31-2017, 11:40 AM   #18

I bounce around NM and seldom stay at developed sites.

I did the two golf cart batteries for a while but swapped them for two G31 AGM's so I could move them into the sliding storage compartment. No venting when charging.

I use an ARB 12v fridge instead of the propane fridge for food. It's just a drink cooler.

I finally decided to upgrade the water purification system. I'm playing with a remote water pump project to suck water out of the stream, filter it, and pump to the water tank.
carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2 View Post
My wife and I are thinking about getting an A frame for when we want to go to areas we just can't get to in a 42' 5er (our glamper)

She likes the A frame because you can get the shower module.

So how do you folks who own them like them for tighter areas (potentially without water, electric, or sewer)?
I have a 27ft 5th wheel but I use my aframe way more. It is easier to go places that are tight, better MPG, travel faster, boondocking easier and it is just fun.

I set my aframe up to be a fast setup, meaning, If I feel like camping I hook up and go. The 5th wheel takes way longer to setup/take down.

Water - I fill my water tank before leaving the house. I also put one or two 55g drum of water in the back of the truck. That can last me a very long time. I use it for showers, dishes and if needed potable water.

Electric - Long story short you have options depending where you are camping and what you want to do. If you need A/C you will need a generator or electric hook ups. If you just need spare power a proper solar setup will sustain you for a very long time. In my aframe I installed four 6v batteries in series/parallel and a 2000w pure sine inverter running 3 separate power plugins inside the camper for all my power needs off grid. The batteries are replenished by portable solar panels that go into a 40amp controller. I usually get about 24amps from the panels when the sun is out. Just recently I added a predator 3500w peak 3000w quiet generator to the setup. It is amazing. It is so quiet that me talking is louder decibels than the generator. When the AC is on inside the camper you will never hear the generator. In fact, I am working on quieting the inside A/C because its the loudest item on the setup.

Sewer: The toilet cassette works great if you don't mind empting it out.

I think the Aframe camper is a good camper with some issues that can be overcome. The only other option I would even consider for a small camper would be a casita. Nice thing with casita is you can get a lift for it a lot easier than the aframes. You will need that extra ground clearance doing anything offroad. All the options above would work for any small camper IMO.

My 2 cents

Tags
boondocking, frame