Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2016, 10:51 AM   #1

A Frames at Burning Man and Festivals?

Hello there, new 2016 A213HW owner here, it's my first camper to own and am excited to upgrade my camping experience from tents, and to have AC! Will mostly be using throughout TX on short weekend excursions. Mayden journey was to Galveston this past weekend, and going up to Fredericksburg this weekend to visit Enchanted Rock.

I intend on taking her to Burning Man in August; know its pretty rough on them there with 40+ mile winds, dust galore, etc. Any tips or recommendations? Any others on here who go there or to any big festivals with their Aframes?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6326.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	105631  
Zerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:49 PM   #2

I haven't been to Burning Man, yet, but know a number of people who have. My tip, based on their recommendations, is don't do it. The dust in the playa is very fine and quite alkylene. It will get everywhere, can never be completely cleaned out and will cause corrosion. The word from my friends is that anything you take there will begin a process of premature aging and never be the same again.

Instead, build a yurt from insulation board to live in and take an air mattress, table and chair. YMMV.

Here is one site on how to build a yurt. The Hexayurt Project: Free Hardware housing for the world

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:07 PM   #3

I have never been to Burning Man and I've never owned an A-frame, so I am definitely NOT an expert.

Just go on here and ask about taking it to the beach, taking it to the mountains, taking it "anywhere" and you will have nay-sayers telling you not to do it because "the wind at the beach", "the sand gets everywhere and you can never get it out", "the winds in the mountains are bad", etc.

I purchased a camper to USE and if I USE it, it is going to get aged faster than if it sat in my driveway and was never used.

Just my $.02 worth. You bought it, you use it!
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Zerr,

First, welcome to the forum. As far as Burning Man the biggest concern I'd have is dust as well. The way our A-frame sealed, or didn't fully seal , along the sides of the "A" would have allowed for a lot of dust to enter the unit in that environment. The side panels fit great up under the roof panels to keep water out. But in a windy, dusty environment any loose side seals could allow a lot of dust to blow in under the roof panels along the top of the "A" sides.

Two things may help, a spreader bar, like used for securing a load in a pick up, to help seal the unit. Harbor Freight has a nice one, it even comes with large square pads to help spread the load out a bit more. The spreader goes in the top of the "A" to apply more pressure on the side seals. The bar also makes a nice place to hang "stuff" off. Just be very careful not to apply too much pressure or you can damage the walls! The warranty won't cover that one... There are threads in this forum about how to use a spreader bar for a better seal, use the Forum Search feature to find them.

Second, sealing the outside of the unit along the "A", where the roof overlaps the wall, with some wide tape should help as well. The less dust that makes it to the seals the better IMHO... I'd also cover the front and rear hinge areas. Be very careful what type tape you use so it doesn't ruin the finish or leave a sticky residue. I can't recommend any particular tape as I never had the need for it... I'd try checking with a good body shop.

Both of these "tips" are what I would have tried when we had our A-frame...your results may vary...
Enjoy your new "A" frame!
Old 04-22-2016, 12:09 PM   #5

Quote:
I purchased a camper to USE and if I USE it, it is going to get aged faster than if it sat in my driveway and was never used.

Just my $.02 worth. You bought it, you use it!
I agree 1000%

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #6

Common sense say's if you use something it will eventually wear out which is fine. However if you abuse it it will wear faster,Listen to folks that have done it and make your decision. I wouldn't give a hoot about a comment from someone who never did it. They don't care about your Trailer. Have fun.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #7

The alkali dust is not just a matter of cleaning up residuals for a few months, as with beach sand. Been there done that. It is corrosive to your frame, axle and wheel bearings. As well as you skin and lungs. This is an unusually harsh environment. Read up on it before you make up your mind.

Here is what it does to your feet.

And take a junker bicycle with you to get around in Black Rock City. First, it won't be so bad when someone shares in the use of the junker if you leave it unlocked then doesn't return it. Second, it won't be any good when you get it home anyway. My friends usually take $10 garage sale Walmart mountain bike and leave it at the dump with the rest of the trash removal on the way out.

Burning Man, IMO, is best experienced as a community. Try to find a group of Burners in your area and join in on the art projects. The groups I know of practice the radical inclusiveness principle among themselves. If you join in and contribute your talents to the art project, you will be part of the group by the summer.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 04-22-2016, 09:32 PM   #8

Welcome!

Just want to say Welcome and congratulations on your new Aframe! We have a 2014 Rockwood HW and love it. Attend lots of music festivals in the midwest with it. Happy camping!
LadyScamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:10 PM   #9

Just got back from a great 3 night trip across TX, definitely bought it with the intent of putting to use, but guess I'll hold off on making the decision to take it there or not for a few more months. Will see how it does bondocking at Flipside a regional TX burn in May also curious to see how it holds up to the summer heat, the a/c placements not the greatest, any 213 owners have all the cold air get stuck under the bed when in a king configuration? Gonna have to put a fan or duct it somehow to to blow it out. Anyways thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
Old 04-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #10

Flipside should be good. I hope the weather is still nice enough to be comfortable boondocking. Have fun.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Tags
frame, a-frame