RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #1

A122 Issues and Concerns.

Well I just got back from a local Rockwood dealer and had the opportunity to check out a Rockwood A122. The trailer is laid out nice and has a lot of nice features, this trailer would really fit our family's style of camping perfect.

They had two models on the lot that I took a look at. The A122 had a piece of gasket twisted out of place on the top, the dealer said that is a common problem and that would be fixed before delivery. The door latch was not screwed on properly and the door had to be forced together to get it to secure. I looked under the camper and I was shocked to see the mess of electric wires that were installed with no care and were not protected with any wire loom protection. The electric brake wires were hanging off of the axle tube and were secured with two zip ties, the wires were 3'' off of the ground.

We went over to the other camper and before we even opened it up I could see that the plastic roof panel window was not sealed properly. When we opened the camper up it was full of water and was already showing signs of water damage. This plastic window panel could use a good rubber gasket around it. The caulking on all three of the campers that a saw was terrible and I would be concerned about leaks.

This really sucks because I really like the layout of this camper and the price is reasonable.

Rockwood should spend a little time on quality control before these campers ship to dealers and just clean up some of there install work they would have a great product.

I am also looking at the R-Pod 171 camper but they are also made by Rockwood and that is a concern after seeing the mess I just looked at.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
Mostly Harmless

Sorry to hear that about new units.

We bought the A128 model last January, and we must have been lucky with the unit we picked out. So far only one minor leak and that was during a torrential rain with driving wind that made me think we should head for shelter...we got about 10 drops in at the roof peak overlap on the door side. Wind blew the rain right into the joint there.

We saw similar door latch and axle wiring issues, but the dealer took care of the latch problem and I fixed the dangling brake wires with two extra zip ties. There could I suppose have been better quality control at the factory, but I hear that's an industry-wide problem. The A128 cost us about 2/3 the price of a similar Aliner or Chalet, so I don't feel too bad about the tuneup details.

I bought some self-adhesive weatherstripping material and went around installing small bits here and there as a precaution. I do expect that, like periodic upkeep and replacement of the sealer around doors and windows, occasional re-gluing or replacement of the wall/roof sealing gaskets will be a given, with all the wear they'll get during setups and teardowns.

I've just finished building a storage unit into the front dinette area. It replaces the forward half of the dinette with a pantry, pot/pan storage, and two clothes lockers. We only have half a table and half-sized seats there now, but there are only two of us anyway. I made a video to put on YouTube but haven't got around to uploading it yet.
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #3

Like hamguy1 said you can expect certain issues all trailers. Even tho i have one or two small cosmetic issues with my trailer, they are fixable, and i love the build quality and design of these trailers. FR has taken lessons learned from other Aframes and fixed or improved the design of our trailer to make it a better quality product than the rest. No piddly 3 inch framing that flexes and bends during towing, which requires bench straightening and reinforcement.... no doors that fall through the jam during travel due to inferior design ... and no rotting floors, which has been a constant problem with the A-liner due to them sealing up the bottom of the flooring system ... which they have been doing for years.
Right now i get lots of complements about our trailer ...and the odd Aliner dude that comes along with that "Aliner Attitude" ... which i chase off my campsite with a few wise cracks, and a lit tiki torch ....
Old 08-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #4

I am headed up this evening with the family, I will have cash in hand for a deposit, but they(Dealer) must clear up some of the small problems on the camper. I will report back this evening and let you know if I`m a new A122 owner.

Thanks for the replys!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I am headed up this evening with the family, I will have cash in hand for a deposit, but they(Dealer) must clear up some of the small problems on the camper. I will report back this evening and let you know if I`m a new A122 owner.

Thanks for the replys!
All the best of luck to you, Mike! Whether you end up buying it or not, you can say to yourself "Whatever will be, will be."
My wife and I almost didn't buy our A128, but it turns out that buying it was one of our better decisions. Now it's time to sell the motorcycle (which was our camping vehicle for 25 years)...
Old 08-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #6

Well the dealer is going to take care of everything and we even had them through in an additional year on the warranty, we ended up with a decent deal and we now own a brand new 2012 A122.
I am going to deliver my 2010 Coleman Sedona to its new owners on Thurs. and I will pick up my new camper on Fri. My first trip will be on Sat.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #7

Nice job mike. These things seem to be selling at a decent pace now. Lots of new owners each week it seems. You will get a lot of enjoyment out of it I am sure.

You might want to have the parts dept order you a few more of those bungee nets for the other walls... They're pretty handy.
rawlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #8

Thanks and that sounds like a good idea about the nets.
I am not going to miss the set-up on my pop up camper, I can`t wait to the first trip and I start slapping those walls up.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus
Nice job mike. These things seem to be selling at a decent pace now. Lots of new owners each week it seems. You will get a lot of enjoyment out of it I am sure.

You might want to have the parts dept order you a few more of those bungee nets for the other walls... They're pretty handy.
Amen on the additional cargo nets. We got three more of them. They weren't cheap though. I think three of the smaller ones cost us about $75.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 09-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #10

A few quick pics of the new camper....

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Old 09-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #11

Purchased a 2012 A122 today. It tows nicely behind my Nissan Xterra.

The sliding/folding blinds that cover the skylite over the bed are bowed in the center and do not close completely. Anyone else have this problem?

I was shocked to find out the fridge power must be controlled by removing the outside fridge panels. I feel like I stepped back 20 years in technology. I also don't understand why there is not a 12V receptacle anywhere inside the trailer.

For what it's worth, the Tech walking me through the trailer said there has been a lot of leaks around the skylight. Apparently, Rockwood originally used a 3M sealing tape on these units. To save money they went to caulking only. Those units developed leaks. They have now gone back to the 3M tape.

Overall I am happy with my purchase. I'm aggravated at myself for not catching the blind problem during the walkthough.

Edit: I forgot to mention I had read in the Rockwood forum that the EZ Lube axles are not always properly filled with lube at the factory. Indeed, I asked to have mine checked prior to delivery. One of the wheels had to be repacked because of the lack of grease. I recommend any new buyers to check their wheel bearing before a problem might occur.
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #12

My blinds close fine. I will re-lube the bearings this week. It sucks that there are some QC issues on this camper, but all manufatures pretty much suck at delivering a high quality camper. I will stay calm with my issues, as long as the dealer does a good job of fixing the problems.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Old 09-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpickerington View Post
Purchased a 2012 A122 today. It tows nicely behind my Nissan Xterra.

The sliding/folding blinds that cover the skylite over the bed are bowed in the center and do not close completely. Anyone else have this problem?

Overall I am happy with my purchase. I'm aggravated at myself for not catching the blind problem during the walkthough.
With this being a new unit contact the service department and have the problem taken care of.

I looked at a few Aliners before buying my FR travel trailer and found the Aliners to be nice but not as nice as the A122. And the Aliners had a much higher price tag too.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #14

My blinds have a very slight 'bow' on the bottom part (that you pull or push to close/open the blinds). It doesn't cause anyone to be able to see in (unless they pressed their face up to the bubble outside and looked down at an angle...

I'm going to add the bearing check to my list of things to do as well.

I agree regarding quality control. Seems that things are like that in general these days. I can't count the times I've had issues with various products (from $150,000 homes to $5.00 insignificant purchases) that simply boil down to quality control issues.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:10 AM   #15

So far, no problems with the blinds over the skylight, or any other structural glitches, other than needing to add weatherstripping around door frame for nice tight fit, and the radio doesn't work anymore (?-- read on here, several posts, some time ago that the quality of the radio is just yuck anyways, so no surprise when it just quit working)
If only the unit had a couple more screened windows, I'd be overjoyed....which begs the question-- have any of you ever considered adding an extra window or two-- done professionally and in consideration of proper folding of course-- even though you'd be altering the unit?
LakeCumberlandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #16

A window added to the other side of the door would be nice. I guess one on the other end of roof as well. I would imagine that would get pricey.

I'd consider it ifmthe price was right after warranty was up.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #17
Mostly Harmless

I agree that would be nice to have, especially an opening window on the forward roof panel. It could be a bubble window like at the back, or a flat one. I see that either the A-Liners or the Chalets have a model with a rectangular opening window in front. Cool, though not worth the beaucoup bucks price difference to me (as well as the added potential for leaks).

We've joined a forum for A-Liner and Chalet owners too---they state that the forum isn't connected to any one brand, so we don't feel unwelcome. We joined because of the years of user experience available there, all of which lead to ideas for mods and user tips. It doesn't diminish our loyalty to our Rockwood, which I believe is well-designed and a best buy for this style of camper. The forum name is alinerchaleta-frames. A thousand apologies to the moderators if I've transgressed by mentioning this. They can edit out the reference if needed.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 10-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #18

I had planned to re-do my caulking around the current bubble skylight on the bed side of the A122 using Geocel Pro-Flex RV Flexible sealant which i have heard is an excellent product - but in the warning for the product is says "Do not use on acrylic skylight glazing surfaces" - so i'm wondering, is the skylight acrylic or is it another material? (polycarb?)

What products have people been using for caulking around the skylight on the A-series campers?
rawlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #19

Just a little advise: go for the rpod instead. I would not hesitate a bit between the 2 you have in mind. You wont get any problems with the pod and are just as easy to pull as the a122
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
Just a little advise: go for the rpod instead. I would not hesitate a bit between the 2 you have in mind. You wont get any problems with the pod and are just as easy to pull as the a122
I purchased an A122 about a month ago, i posted a few pics up on the first page. No remorse here, even with a few problems that I am having fixed. I dont have a lot of storage space in my driveway, and I like how the pop-up type frame campers pull down the road.

I did get a chance to look at a couple of R-Pods at a RV show and I was not to impressed with the build quality, it appeared to be even worse than on my A122.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB

Tags
a122