Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2022, 07:05 PM   #1

A122bh with dormer

I bought a a122bh in 2020 it was a left over 2019 i got my 1 year warrenty with it but i replaced under warrenty the electric lift 3 times when not in use it is stored in side. Well i used a few months ago and guess what the lift arm failed again. I am not alone there are many people going threw the same thing. There has been talk from others about a class action law suit. They told me that some have replace theres 6 times and forest river knows theres a issue with these lift assit arms and now unless they pay for them the dont get them replaced by forest river. I dont know if i will or if i wont be involved it it i just want the electric lift assit to work. So what does forest river think of this. Lets just fix this problem once and for all please.
Thanks Sam
Sampen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:43 PM   #2

I agree it's a poor design but have you tried just leaving the electric lift off? I took ours off to protect it from the usual water damage. It's so much easier without it that I'll never put it back on. Not counting the dormer, I can fold up or down the main walls and roof sections in 10 seconds. It helps that I am tall enough to fully extend or release the roof sections unassisted while standing in the folded down upper doorway and I realize this is not the case for everyone. The electric lift makes it look harder than it is.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:34 AM   #3

Went to gas lifts for my T21TBHW (same as A213HW) roof panels, and have never put the electric lift back on. Since I'm short, I use a plastic-tipped boat hook to push/pull the roof panels. The gas lifts balance the load so there is little-to-no effort to push/pull. Takes a tenth of the time the electric lift did.

FWIW, my T21TBHW also has the dormer, which I like very much.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2022 Hyundai Palisade
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:11 PM   #4

A122bh with dormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIAframers View Post
I agree it's a poor design but have you tried just leaving the electric lift off? I took ours off to protect it from the usual water damage. It's so much easier without it that I'll never put it back on. Not counting the dormer, I can fold up or down the main walls and roof sections in 10 seconds. It helps that I am tall enough to fully extend or release the roof sections unassisted while standing in the folded down upper doorway and I realize this is not the case for everyone. The electric lift makes it look harder than it is.

I’m in the same frame of mind…just use it and store out the elements on trips and in storage. Not too excited about installing the shocks. I’m tall also, so could you elaborate quite a bit about doing it manually? What size unit do you have? What kind of load do you really feel on your back? How do control a take down without it essentially crashing down hard? Your experience would be greatly appreciated!
Northwoods Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Bob View Post
I’m in the same frame of mind…just use it and store out the elements on trips and in storage. Not too excited about installing the shocks. I’m tall also, so could you elaborate quite a bit about doing it manually? What size unit do you have? What kind of load do you really feel on your back? How do control a take down without it essentially crashing down hard? Your experience would be greatly appreciated!
We have the 2022 Flagstaff T21TBHWOR. It came with gas struts on the roof panels from the factory, and being a brand new unit the struts are working at full strength. (My experience with anything gas struts is they will weaken over time.) The struts balance the weight of the roof sections nicely and they go up with minimal effort.

I push up on both sections as I walk up the steps, flip the upper door half open, and then step up on to the floor and finish with a push on the rear section until it gets to the peak and locks in. To take down, a good push on the front section unlocks it from the rear and both sections will start down. The fall is well controlled and I can stop half way down, let go, and the panels will more or less stay mid fold. I flip the upper door half closed, stand on the top step, and then grab the tops of the roofs and pull down to complete the fold. It's easier with a second person on the ground to help manage the upper door section, which has to be opened and closed at the right times, about half way up or down.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIAframers View Post
We have the 2022 Flagstaff T21TBHWOR. It came with gas struts on the roof panels from the factory, and being a brand new unit the struts are working at full strength. (My experience with anything gas struts is they will weaken over time.) The struts balance the weight of the roof sections nicely and they go up with minimal effort.

I push up on both sections as I walk up the steps, flip the upper door half open, and then step up on to the floor and finish with a push on the rear section until it gets to the peak and locks in. To take down, a good push on the front section unlocks it from the rear and both sections will start down. The fall is well controlled and I can stop half way down, let go, and the panels will more or less stay mid fold. I flip the upper door half closed, stand on the top step, and then grab the tops of the roofs and pull down to complete the fold. It's easier with a second person on the ground to help manage the upper door section, which has to be opened and closed at the right times, about half way up or down.

Thanks for the great info. My T21 was pre-struts, pre dormer, so the load is full weight…I’ll have to truly consider adding those if my protective approach to the actuator exposure doesn’t work out.
Northwoods Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122, a122bh