Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2021, 03:13 PM   #1

A122thesp

Yikes. One thing after another. This started right after we purchased. We brought it to the rv dealer and they had it for four months. Now I just notice this. The floor is separating from the frame as well. 2018 and hopefully still under warranty, but I really don’t want to give up my camper for the summer. Has this been a common problem. So many things have gone wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	396.3 KB
ID:	253768  
Ppinutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:30 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. typically warranties are only one year from date of original purchase. There does seem to be some expansion going on might just be caused by the material not being attached properly have you tried to push it back into place and reattach it. The forum has a great group of owners with these rigs I'm sure someone will have some good advice.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:52 PM   #3

Wow. Have to admit I have not seen that level of coming apart before. Unfortunately, I doubt this will be covered by any kind of warranty. Worth a try though. But I'm not sure the typical dealer has the expertise to come with a satisfactory long term fix at a price you want to pay. You might be better off with going to the Flagstaff/Rockwood factory for repair (Indiana).

If you can see repairing the A-frame yourself: Can you see if there's any kind of existing "corner post" or L-shaped material that the 2 panels can fasten into? That would be my way to fix long term. Accessing the joint from the inside is another issue - is there any reasonable access to see what is going on? The curve does make any fix a lot more difficult.

The wood worker in me, given sufficient access, would laminate a curved corner post from thin strips for both side and end to fasten into. At least 1x1, preferably 2x2. Cut a cardboard template to match the curve of the side panel edge to put the right curve in the corner post.

Depending on what the inside face of both panels are made of, I would tend to use epoxy glue/resin to fasten to the laminated corner strip. However clamping or temporarily fastening while the glue set would be another challenge.

Glue one panel or the other first - whichever can be accessed easier with the panels pulled apart to clamp. Then use pipe clamps with long pieces of pipe across front or from front to door to glue second piece to corner post. If you don't have pipe or pipe clamps, that would be the most expensive part of the repair.

If you can't see clamping and gluing, screwing into the corner post would also work, but you would always have screw heads showing.

These are just suggestions - I have obviously haven't tried it on my camper in real life. I have done similar work on boats and know the repair if done right will be the strongest part of the camper.

hope this helps
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:49 PM   #4

Thank you. I'm not at all sure what I'll do at this point. I'm so hoping my dealer will be helpful, as I brought it in while it was still under warranty and it was never properly fixed and just happened again. The floor is bowed as well and has a 2" gap. Do you think the large cargo area in front might have anything to do with this. It is designed for an ATV, but we have only put our cooler and storage there. Nothing over 100 lbs. I feel like just the weight of it alone is causing these issues.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:51 PM   #5

To me it seems like it's been a lemon from the very beginning. One of the latches won't latch and the plate where the hydraulic lift attaches is pulling out.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:38 PM   #6
OYO

With all that going on I'd be suspicious of a frame issue or camper to frame attachment issue.

That's ugly. You have my sympathy.

Craig
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:15 PM   #7

I second what Craig said about a frame or frame attachment issue. I thought you were only dealing with a single corner where the panels were coming apart.

Until the frame is fixed or the body to frame attachment is fixed (or both), the symptoms of body gaps and panels parting or bowing under stress will continue.

I do recommend a good crawl underneath to see if there is any obvious issue with the frame. Look for failed welds or pieces not attached at ends. The A-frame frames tend to be a little bit on the lightweight side for my liking - failed welds or fastenings could easily cause serious flexing problems. This would be especially true for an extra long frame like the toy haulers.

I would also peel back the decorative stuff inside and take a careful look at all the panel hinges. I suspect the fastenings on the hinges and/or the hinges being bent from the stresses.

If you do find frame issues or need to have it checked out professionally, I would find a local utility/cargo trailer shop. I would also go to Flagstaff/Rockwood directly with your history (notes from/about what the dealer did and didn't do help), and see if they will help you fix.

You do indeed have my sympathies.
Fred W
Old 05-07-2021, 05:29 PM   #8

I'm So Sad!

Yes. I am suspecting the frame now too, after researching that 2018 frames did have issues. I'm not sure if that included the A Frame, but I will certainly check it out. I love the configuration of the trailer as it suits me and it's easy for me to put up and the perfect amount of space, but all this has put a bitter taste in my mouth. What's sad is that I never really needed that extra cargo area and I feel like that has caused a lot of the issues. Thanks for the input. I'm going to call the dealership on Monday and see what they have to say and I'll crawl under and see what I can see.

-Pam in Utah
Old 05-08-2021, 09:20 AM   #9

This is a photo of where my floor meets the wall from underneath. Another huge gap 😢 And the plate that attaches the hydraulic arm to the wall. Everything is angry and not working properly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A7284855-F0BA-4EB8-A9FD-95BA580E90BC.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	253908   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB2D5B5F-16CC-416D-8B50-992F1798E2BC.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	253909  
Old 05-08-2021, 11:15 AM   #10

Pam

The 2nd photo where the hydraulic arm attaches is not a frame issue. It is an assembly issue caused by the assembly line using screws into the A-frame walls - walls which do not hold screws under any kind of stress. Many of us have seen similar failures of mounting brackets screwed to the walls - strut pin mounts commonly look like this after a little wear and tear.

The fix is to bolt through or screw into a backing plate on the inside of the wall. I used stainless steel machine screws through a 1/4" plywood oval backing plate. I made things a little nicer inside by staining the plywood backing plate and using acorn nuts.

I used longer screws than I should have, but didn't want to disturb the caulking for a remount. When refastening anything outside, I always use some exterior caulk so no water gets into the walls around the fitting.

Turns out the dinette seat back covers the backing plate and nuts, but the acorn nuts do stop the seat back from being ripped or punctured.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210508_100639.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	253931  
Old 05-10-2021, 08:09 AM   #11

Thank You

Fred,

Yes, that's what I need to do or should have someone else do in my case . Thank you for the detail.

I'm taking it into a welder for an opinion on the frame etc. on Tuesday so I have something to present to the dealer. Thanks for all the great input.

-Pam
Old 05-13-2021, 03:07 AM   #12

Smile Happy Camper

Just fyi I took my camping trailer into a recommended local welder and rv repair person and it turns out it is not the frame. He was super helpful and addressed everything for me. It was all a matter of not enough reinforcement during the manufacturing process. He has redone everything for me and added extra reinforcement to keep things in place. My trailer has no more gaps in the walls and floors and he has fixed the plates that the hydraulic arms screw into so they aren't pulling out. All of my anchors attach smoothly when I raise my walls. I am so excited. He did it in one day and it cost me $500. Thank you all for your input. This site is amazing.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:22 AM   #13
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppinutah View Post
Just fyi I took my camping trailer into a recommended local welder and rv repair person and it turns out it is not the frame. He was super helpful and addressed everything for me. It was all a matter of not enough reinforcement during the manufacturing process. He has redone everything for me and added extra reinforcement to keep things in place. My trailer has no more gaps in the walls and floors and he has fixed the plates that the hydraulic arms screw into so they aren't pulling out. All of my anchors attach smoothly when I raise my walls. I am so excited. He did it in one day and it cost me $500. Thank you all for your input. This site is amazing.
Fantastic! Too bad you had to go through that, but you're on the road again!

Craig
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122