Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #1

A126 water tank drain issue

Have any of you aframers looked to see how low your water tank drains? I was looking around underneath yesterday and noticed that there is still a good 1 1/2" of water left in my tank after draining. I left it closed on the trip home (after draining at CG) on my last trip, so I guess leavingit opened for the drive home might drain more, but not likely all of it.

I'm worried as winter is coming soon in Kentucky so a complete draining of the tank will be necessary.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #2

drains ...

My Aframe, and probably all other Forest River large box tent trailers drain the same way. My previous trailer (coachman clipper 1070SD) had a 20 gallon tank .. similar to this .. but it was a flatbottom ... installed just over the axel of the trailer. Our trailers have a two stage tank .. where the pickup is mounted on the lower stage of the tank ...about an inch and half below the main level of the whole water tank. This kinda makes real good sense when winterizing ...as only 4 gallons of antifreeze will have to enter the tank ... to get pumped through the entire system for us to winterize rather than about 7 to 8. This year I am bypassing my mod to bypass the waterpump .. due to time and preparation constrictions .. and will just pour the 4 gallons in .. and take the dive for the cost .. (which is minimal if your doing it yourself).
When emptying your tank ... open 'er up and drive home .. thats what we all do up here in Ontario Canada.

d-mo
Old 10-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo
My Aframe, and probably all other Forest River large box tent trailers drain the same way. My previous trailer (coachman clipper 1070SD) had a 20 gallon tank .. similar to this .. but it was a flatbottom ... installed just over the axel of the trailer. Our trailers have a two stage tank .. where the pickup is mounted on the lower stage of the tank ...about an inch and half below the main level of the whole water tank. This kinda makes real good sense when winterizing ...as only 4 gallons of antifreeze will have to enter the tank ... to get pumped through the entire system for us to winterize rather than about 7 to 8. This year I am bypassing my mod to bypass the waterpump .. due to time and preparation constrictions .. and will just pour the 4 gallons in .. and take the dive for the cost .. (which is minimal if your doing it yourself).
When emptying your tank ... open 'er up and drive home .. thats what we all do up here in Ontario Canada.

d-mo
Ahh... Ontario... We did the southern Erie coast last year and I have Long Point on my list for a future camping expedition. Maybe Pelee as well (visited both on our trip and loved the CG at Long Point).

I'm hoping to avoid AF In the tank just for sanitization reasons, cost is minimal as you state when you DIY. I'm most concerned about getting those last few gallons out for winter. I think propping the bulge in the lower stage of the tank may help some but I wish there was a low point drain...
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote